• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Fleche Wallonne

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Why did Alberto CONTINUALLY look over his shoulder at the end?

Good question. There has to be a reason. Was he more worred about a fellow countryman passing him ???. The Spainish press would love it !!! I'd guess its Ok doing it on the Cols in July but metres from the finish line of a Classic in April. Makes you wonder. Albeto's looking over his shoulder I guess is a "mind games" strategy giving the impression he has more in reserve to deflate/psyche out his rivals but Evans had a tankful in reserve this afternoon !!

What's up with all the talk about AC didn't wanted to win? Did you not watch the race? The reason for why Evans and Rodriguez outsprinted AC and Anton is easy, and it is spelled: LACTIC ACID!

When Anton attacked AC responded, and both of these tried to blast their way up the Mur wich made their legs fill up with latcic acid and when you tries to sprint with latic acid in you legs....well you can't. This is so simple and every endurance athlete knows this and thats why Evans won!!

If you watched the Olympic games you saw that the same thing happend to the swedish XC skier Marsuc Hellner in the 15 km freestyle where he set up a hard pace in the steep slopes and then lost time on the flat sections and lost the bronze by 1,5 sec.

You two (Polish and KBS) *** edited by mod

Astana's team for L-B-L looks pretty damn tough (this is provisional):

VINOKOUROV Alexandre KAZ
PEREIRO SIO Oscar ESP
JUFRE POU Josep ESP
IGLINSKIY Maxim KAZ
GRIVKO Andriy UKR
GASPAROTTO Enrico ITA
FOFONOV Dmitriy KAZ
CONTADOR Alberto ESP

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Contador was looking behind himself at first to try to wait until the last possible second before accelerating, and after that he was looking back because he was going backwards.

Kroon crocked, well and truly.
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/3888/Broken-bones-for-Kroon-after-Fleche-Wallone-crash.aspx
610x.jpg

610x.jpg

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
You two (Polish and KBS) ***edited by mod

Hey Pubicus you cyber bully. For the number of posts you have made to this forum the above quote is a very cheap shot. You now KBS is right too.

For your records Andriy wil not be starting at Liege.

Kellys Big Sprocket said:
Hey Pubicus you cyber bully. For the number of posts you have made to this forum the above quote is a very cheap shot. You now KBS is right too.

For your records Andriy wil not be starting at Liege.

I don't get what you get out of this, but it's very easy to spot you now.

Btw, that's why the parenthetical said it was PROVISIONAL and not FINAL.

EDIT: and for the record *** edited by mod

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
You two (Polish and KBS) are freaking morons.

Astana's team for L-B-L looks pretty damn tough (this is provisional):

We are freaking morons?

C'mon, you are the guy who hoped Alberto would work for Iglkinsky
in the Fleche and work for Vino at LB:)

It also appears you have not reached "True Alberto FanBoy Status".

You seem to be in denial.

To be a TRUE fanboy, one has to accept the fact that your favorite rider belongs in the Clinic Forum.

Nothing more moronic than fake Fanboys
Although True FanBoys are pretty obnoxious

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
He's practicing giving Lance "the look".

Except Alberto forgot the part about "Crushing Your Adversary"
after giving The Look.

Important Detail.

But really, why did Alberto turn around 20 times??

Is he that insecure?
No way.

Did it make him go faster?
NO WAY. It slowed him down.

Did he not want look extra-terrestial in the run-up to his REAL GOAL?
His REAL GOAL for the FingerBang RoadTrip = "La Doyenne"

Expect to see Alberto kick **** at Liege-Bastogne-Liege.
No turning around during THAT finish.
He might win by a BIGGER margin than Tyler did lol,
although Alberto's buddies the Schlecks will be competive too...

Polish said:
We are freaking morons?

C'mon, you are the guy who hoped Alberto would work for Iglkinsky
in the Fleche and work for Vino at LB:)

It also appears you have not reached "True Alberto FanBoy Status".

You seem to be in denial.

To be a TRUE fanboy, one has to accept the fact that your favorite rider belongs in the Clinic Forum.

Nothing more moronic than fake Fanboys
Although True FanBoys are pretty obnoxious

Don't have any idea what the hell you are talking about here. You seem to think he was faking which just seems stupid given what everyone was watching. I figure you are just doing your best to tweak folks noses around here, because that's just a dumb suggestion to make under the circumstances. What I don't understand is why you are bringing up my comment regarding Iglinsky/Vino in response. AC said his legs didn't feel great yesterday, so I suggested that if that was the case today he might work for Iglinsky. Apparently his legs felt great and the team rode for him. Not on the same level as your cockamamie implication.

Perhaps you should just stick to being a Armstrong knob polisher instead of a pseudo-conspiracy theorist. You are much funnier when you are doing the former. ;)

Polish said:
Except Alberto forgot the part about "Crushing Your Adversary"
after giving The Look.

Important Detail.

But really, why did Alberto turn around 20 times??

Is he that insecure?
No way.

Did it make him go faster?
NO WAY. It slowed him down.

Did he not want look extra-terrestial in the run-up to his REAL GOAL?
His REAL GOAL for the FingerBang RoadTrip = "La Doyenne"

Expect to see Alberto kick **** at Liege-Bastogne-Liege.
No turning around during THAT finish.
He might win by a BIGGER margin than Tyler did lol,
although Alberto's buddies the Schlecks will be competive too...

Now this I agree with. I think L-B-L is his main goal. Obviously not for the same reason you seem to suggest, but because he hated losing and he's clearly got better legs than the Brothers Schleck at the moment.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
re kroon: looked nasty :S

theyoungest said:
... or hope for a quick recovery (not gonna happen). It's kind of a relief, actually. There's a clear explanation for his sub par racing.

+1 was a little concerned with his performance..

...yeahh. sunday no chance

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
About Contador glancing relentlessly over his shoulder as he approached the finish line, my sense is that he was gassed and was trying to determine who would be able to overtake him as he didn't have the legs to sprint to the finish. You have to keep in mind that those two 90 degree turns at just under 500 metres to the finish is probably the steepest part of the climb, topping out at 19.6 degrees. I know because I was there and there was a map of the climb in Huy that gave the gory details. Not the best place to stand though, health wise, as the steep gradient really forces all the cars, motorcycles, caravan vehicles to stomp on the gas and emit so much exhaust fumes.

If it was Valverde in Contador's position, he wouldn't bother looking back as he would out-sprint everyone. Still, props to Contador for finishing third.

Since nobody mentioned it, and maybe nobody really cares, but BBox had three of their younger cyclists perform well/okay when you consider that Hinault thinks French cyclists are lazy bums that don't train hard enough. Gauthier, Trofimov and Rolland all finished in respectable positions considering their age. Okay, the Hinault comment doesn't apply to Trofimov.

I half expect L-B-L to be an Astana/Caisse/Saxo/Lampre/Katusha/Omega-Pharma Lotto slugfest, though I'd be happy if a BBox or Rabo rider won La Doyenne.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
About Contador glancing relentlessly over his shoulder as he approached the finish line, my sense is that he was gassed and was trying to determine who would be able to overtake him as he didn't have the legs to sprint to the finish. .

Could be, could be.

But what good does turning around DO?
It just slows you down.

And why turn aound so OFTEN?
Just seemed weird. Unlike Verbier for sure.

Mellow Velo said:
Is Polish teflon coated?
A major race thread derailed with his continual nonsensical posts.
Yet he's still here.........unlike all the other trolls.

The thread is not derailed lol.
Alberto "looking back" was a major part of the finale.
It was a rookie error or bad acting or something.

And I am NOT saying Cadel did not deserve the win.
Cadel earned it fair and square. Very studdly. Very.

Polish said:
Could be, could be.

But what good does turning around DO?
It just slows you down.

And why turn aound so OFTEN?
Just seemed weird. Unlike Verbier for sure.

The thread is not derailed lol.
Alberto "looking back" was a major part of the finale.
It was a rookie error or bad acting or something.

And I am NOT saying Cadel did not deserve the win.
Cadel earned it fair and square. Very studdly. Very.

I don't get it. Why is everybody so fascinated with AC looking back? There is no way he would have won even if he never had looked back. The man wasted all his enegry battling Anton up the steep part of the Mur. AC isn't used to this kind of racing and ha learned, like Evans did, the hard way.

Even so, I will post my opinion. I think that he was shocked that the climb literally sucked the power from his legs and he realised that he hadn't any more power left. Conclusion: He panic and realises that he is not going to hold off the pack and starts to look back to see how close the are/how fast they are comming.

TRENDING THREADS