• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Fleche Wallonne

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
My turn to troll :D

Polish said:
Except Alberto forgot the part about "Crushing Your Adversary"
after giving The Look.

You mean the way Hinault crushed them in 1981 when he first did "The Look" 20 years before your hero?

First time since long Alberto didn't win a race he wanted to win, and really wanted to win (since Paris - Nice 2009 actually, but he did win that race before). Well, that's not bad for cycling actually, Contador is quite dominant in stage races at the moment, if he's also gonna dominate the hilly classics there will be no suprises during the season (Cobbled classics for Fabian, sprints for Cav, time trials for Fabian and stage races and hilly classics for Contador).

And for both Anton and Contador this was learning the hard way. Its always the same in La Fleche Wallone, the guys which are climbing best lack the energy in the final meters. But I think it was the first time for both Anton and Contador in La Fleche Wallone on such a high level.

On another note, great to see Anton back. Not only because I love Basque cycling but also because he was struggling since his crash in the Vuelta 2008. Now it seems he is up with the best again, and also making the pace with the best. Lovely signs for the coming year.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
As the only clean rider in the peloton, I think that would be a tall order. :p in all seriousness it's why I'm not expecting much from him at the TdF.
I am trying to take that approach but we are talking about evans here!
Publicus said:
I honestly think we are saying the same thing. He burned his last matches too quickly rather than doling his effort for the final 200 meters

rata de sentina said:
No. ACF is foolish, the Lance fanboys are idiotic.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Publicus said:
You two (Polish and KBS) *** edited by mod

Astana's team for L-B-L looks pretty damn tough (this is provisional):

VINOKOUROV Alexandre KAZ
PEREIRO SIO Oscar ESP
JUFRE POU Josep ESP
IGLINSKIY Maxim KAZ
GRIVKO Andriy UKR
GASPAROTTO Enrico ITA
FOFONOV Dmitriy KAZ
CONTADOR Alberto ESP
What about BMC's tough team
EVANS Cadel
Polish said:
Except Alberto forgot the part about "Crushing Your Adversary"
after giving The Look.

Important Detail.

But really, why did Alberto turn around 20 times??

The opponent crushed him!

Can't believe that on the radio and on the news the mention NOTHING about evans' win. Disgraceful!:mad:

auscyclefan94 said:
I am trying to take that approach but we are talking about evans here!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What about BMC's tough team
EVANS Cadel

The opponent crushed him!

Can't believe that on the radio and on the news the mention NOTHING about evans' win. Disgraceful!:mad:

I don't think BMC's team (outside of Cuddles) is any good, that's why I didn't mention them. Given Vino's and AC's form, I think Astana will be one of the top teams (along with Saxo Bank and Katusha).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
ACF94, you get up so early? Or you didnt fall in sleep last night?

Work:( I have had 3 cups of coffee already this morning so I am really buzzing.;)

I understand that. I was just making fun of Astana when you said that they had a tough team I said BMC had a tough team for LBL and only put evans down as that tough team.

Frank and Morabito really rode well for cadel :)especially when kaarsten had a crash.:(

Finally I have the chance to watch the race in detail-- Well deserved win by Evans-experience came to play at the final sprint-really surprised to see AC making the podium- he's really becoming an all-rounder rider:)
I'm wondering what happened to the Schleck Bros today:confused:--unless they're going to dig deep at L-B-L.....

great Cycling happens when LA isn't around-does it not? :D

Walkman said:
I don't get it. Why is everybody so fascinated with AC looking back? There is no way he would have won even if he never had looked back. The man wasted all his enegry battling Anton up the steep part of the Mur. AC isn't used to this kind of racing and ha learned, like Evans did, the hard way.

Even so, I will post my opinion. I think that he was shocked that the climb literally sucked the power from his legs and he realised that he hadn't any more power left. Conclusion: He panic and realises that he is not going to hold off the pack and starts to look back to see how close the are/how fast they are comming.

+1 It really was as simple as that. Contador the actor, Jeeez be real folks. The guy tried, failed and gave an honest assessment after why, same when he couldn't follow at Corsica. So he's not Mr Invincible afterall but at least he still doesn't BS in defeat.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Contador was looking back because he was dying and was hoping to hold on for the win, plain and simple. Turns out Cuddles was just the stronger more patient rider today.

hfer07 said:
Finally I have the chance to watch the race in detail-- Well deserved win by Evans-experience came to play at the final sprint-really surprised to see AC making the podium- he's really becoming an all-rounder rider:)
I'm wondering what happened to the Schleck Bros today:confused:--unless they're going to dig deep at L-B-L.....

great Cycling happens when LA isn't around-does it not? :D

I honestly don't think they are on as great of form as they want folks to believe. Andy just didn't have it when it mattered on the Mur de Huy. Same way he didn't have it on Sunday.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ferdinand Artichoke said:
Untrue- You listening to commercial boogalooo?

Radio National did (576AM in NSW)

ABC local radio in Sydney (702) covered it this morning by 7am, although never heard of the race and did not know how to pronounce it.

luckyboy said:
Not really. Just don't see how beating him up a 1.3km hill suggests he might up the Tourmalet/Morzine-Avoriaz.

From my frankly half-arsed searching (only GTs that they have raced together in), Cadel beat AC on stage 15 of the 2005 TdF to Saint-Lary-Soulan (Pla-d'Adet) by nearly 8 minutes.

Didn't he beat him at Criterium International a few weeks ago? And at the Dauphine last year?

Personally think kids are putting way too much on Cuddles for the future. He used his prior knowledge and experience to his advantage. Not superior climbing abilities. That's what (as I understand it) often makes the difference in these classics. That's why I'm not willing to bet the farm on AC on Sunday. He doesn't have enough experience with these races (sure he's ridden both routes twice, but this was the first time he was racing for the win at Fleche Wallonne which I think impacts how you tackle the final ascent of the Mur de Huy).

BroDeal said:
Of course this did look like the typical Evans climbing performance where the better climbers sprint away and he is forced to diesel his way back up to them. Maybe he just got lucky that AC unusually died before the line. :)

C'mon BroDeal even you know "You need to make your own luck"to win sometimes....Well done Cadel and 1st win for team BMC.........

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Didn't he beat him at Criterium International a few weeks ago? And at the Dauphine last year?

Was AC really taking CI as seriously as he could've? Considering he had already won Volta ao Algarve and Paris-Nice, I'd say he wasn't. If he was, Gautier, Lagutin, Carrara, Le Lay, Millar etc can look forward to beating him in the mountains in the Tour.

And I'll be surprised if he regrets sacrificing 2nd place in the Dauphine for a Tour victory. But yeah, he was beaten in both of those.

This actually all looks very defensive of Contador. I assure you, I am no more an AC fan than I am of Cadel..

TRENDING THREADS