• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Fleche Wallonne

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Christian said:
Congrats to Cadel, BMC, and all his fans here in the forum - I'm happy for you guys.

Why didn't he do a victory salute? Does he think they're lame, is he very humble? I kinda like that though, most victory salutes are over the top I'd say!

He is a very humble guy Christian....

luckyboy said:
Was AC really taking CI as seriously as he could've? Considering he had already won Volta ao Algarve and Paris-Nice, I'd say he wasn't. If he was, Gautier, Lagutin, Carrara, Le Lay, Millar etc can look forward to beating him in the mountains in the Tour.

And I'll be surprised if he regrets sacrificing 2nd place in the Dauphine for a Tour victory. But yeah, he was beaten in both of those.

This actually all looks very defensive of Contador. I assure you, I am no more an AC fan than I am of Cadel..

I don't think you are defending AC. I just pointed out that Cuddles has beaten him plenty of times (the reasons why are immaterial). I'm not reading more into this victory than any of the others. And I would be surprised if AC was either

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
evans beats AC at F-W and all of a sudden he win the tour. WHAT A JOKE!

classics have never been ac's forte. His inexpierence lost him this.

and regarding ce, he is riding the giro to win apparently, therefore - unless he is on the old phonax program - I doubt he will be up there in july. And even if he didn't ride the giro, AC is still a much better GT rider, this race changes nothing. Plus he has a better team then cuddles.

Hesjedal to podium at the tour anybody ? :rolleyes:

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
evans beats AC at F-W and all of a sudden he win the tour. WHAT A JOKE!

Who said that? This is about as "fat" an interpretation as Ullrich's a*ss, ROFLMAO. :D

This race changes nothing for the Tour, yes, but the "slight" detail of Evans's confidence in the direction of much stronger self-belief and aggressive/smart riding when it counts. Good for him (minus, of course, LOL :rolleyes: the now "BMC" rider positives, Ballan, Frei, etc). Minus that, ha, ha, ha, good for fans. Good for cycling.

(Let's hope BMC doesn't screw up any more, and Rihs has learned a few lessons, ahem, cough, cough, and is smart enough now not to get his whole team caught again--minus Evans, who is clean).

Both Evans (honouring the WC jersey) and Conti are doing yeoman's GT service to cycling by riding classics to win, not to roll around the countryside training only for other objectives. Showing some respect. Good on them both! :)

Amstel and Fleche been two great races for fans (let's just hope Evans can survive BMC and Rihs' predilections for blowing up teams).

What impressed me the most about Evans was how he used his past experience to time his move for the win. Contador made a great push but went just a little too early. Evans waited until just about the last possible instant to surge ahead and pass Contador.

The finish of this one has always been one of my favorites to watch. You can really see how difficult it is for the riders from both the looks on their faces and how their bicycles weave from side to side from the force of the effort they are putting in just to keep their forward momentum going.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Blakeslee said:
What impressed me the most about Evans was how he used his past experience to time his move for the win. Contador made a great push but went just a little too early. Evans waited until just about the last possible instant to surge ahead and pass Contador.

The finish of this one has always been one of my favorites to watch. You can really see how difficult it is for the riders from both the looks on their faces and how their bicycles weave from side to side from the force of the effort they are putting in just to keep their forward momentum going.

Agree on both counts - CE's brilliant ride and the excitement of the finish. Let's not forget other performances though - Contador's effort was phenomenal and suggested to me he is even more likely to beat all comers at the TdF including, ironically perhaps, Evans. Does the guy not not ever let up winning or podiumming even when not expected to? Rodriguez seems an unsung hero and Katusha were very very impressive (although after this and Mendrisio could Joaquin qualify as Cuddles' poodle?).

Interesting to compare these Medrisio results with FW this year:-
1 Cadel Evans (Australia) 6:56:26
2 Alexandr Kolobnev (Russian Federation) 0:00:27
3 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spain)
4 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spain) 0:00:30
5 Fabian Cancellara (Switzerland)
6 Philippe Gilbert (Belgium) 0:00:51
7 Matti Breschel (Denmark)
8 Damiano Cunego (Italy)
9 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spain)

Of those who were at both races the placings and order were all but identical (with the exception of Kolobnev who may well have been up there had he not soared and burned a little earlier probably on team orders). How weird is that - cream rising to the top?!

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I honestly don't think they are on as great of form as they want folks to believe. Andy just didn't have it when it mattered on the Mur de Huy. Same way he didn't have it on Sunday.

I think you're right (but I hope you're wrong). Schlecklet has had a fairly bad early season with injuries and all, it wouldn't be odd if he just wasn't 100% yet.

Cerberus said:
I think you're right (but I hope you're wrong). Schlecklet has had a fairly bad early season with injuries and all, it wouldn't be odd if he just wasn't 100% yet.

I hope I'm wrong too, actually. I didn't realize Andy had gotten caught in a crash yesterday and used up a fair amount of energy chasing back. He then proceeded to blow the race up on the 2nd time up the Mur de Huy, which makes me think he may have more in the tank than I originally thought.

I want Sunday to live up to the hype that is swirling around in my head at the moment. And that requires as many strong and talented riders to be on form and ready to go.

Nearly said:
Agree on both counts - CE's brilliant ride and the excitement of the finish. Let's not forget other performances though - Contador's effort was phenomenal and suggested to me he is even more likely to beat all comers at the TdF including, ironically perhaps, Evans. Does the guy not not ever let up winning or podiumming even when not expected to? Rodriguez seems an unsung hero and Katusha were very very impressive (although after this and Mendrisio could Joaquin qualify as Cuddles' poodle?).

Interesting to compare these Medrisio results with FW this year:-
1 Cadel Evans (Australia) 6:56:26
2 Alexandr Kolobnev (Russian Federation) 0:00:27
3 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spain)
4 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spain) 0:00:30
5 Fabian Cancellara (Switzerland)
6 Philippe Gilbert (Belgium) 0:00:51
7 Matti Breschel (Denmark)
8 Damiano Cunego (Italy)
9 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spain)

Of those who were at both races the placings and order were all but identical (with the exception of Kolobnev who may well have been up there had he not soared and burned a little earlier probably on team orders). How weird is that - cream rising to the top?!

+1 agreed....And as a Cadel Evans Fan i too am very impressed by his performance and only hope his form hasn't come to early....This year may be his last chance to win a GT and the GIRO is his main target..Contador is a rider with exceptional talent,not only is he best Stage race rider(Grand Tours)and best mountain climber and one of the best Time trialists in the world,but he is now showing how good a classics rider he is.(Ardennes types)Can this guy be the ultimate cyclist?Just a point"I'm becoming an Alberto Contador Fan"can i still be a Cadel Evans Fan?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
A win for clean cycling!

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, NO TIME FOR DOPERS BECAUSE EVANS IS THE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!

No wonder you took a swipe at me. This was before the BMC A sample positive. Perhaps toning it down in future and not taking such a hypocritical, blind and daft stance on drug taking is needed. As I said. No wonder you are upset. The truth came out and upset the apple cart. Learn from it and try not to make the same mistake next time. The inevitable in cycling is that most people are doping. Remember that and try not to sprout the horse $h1t stance that one guy winning is a win for clean winning less you end up with egg on your face.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
Nice job from Anton considering he went in that late attack with Kolobnev.

So much for that BMC win poll, huh? Almost everyone got it wrong. People may not like him but no denying Cadel is a terrific rider.

Actually the Poll was for who would win first, Lotto or BMC. Gilbert delivered the goods first. Only by a few days but who cares. Gilbert and Evans were both going to win something this year. They did the previous two years so that was a given. From memory most predicted Lotto would win first. Unless there was a second poll. ACF94 has been making a lot of threads and polls these last few months, so it is hard to remember them all.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
ACF's poll on BMC was when/where BMC would get their first win. That was after my poll on who would win first.

Argh ha. As I said. There have been a lot of polls. I voted on yours but ignored the other one. I thought Lotto would win first with Gilbert. Heaven forbid any other rider on the squad will win anything. Maybe Van Den Broucke or Lloyd but that is it. Actually BMC don't fare for much more themselves. Oh well, at least they both got one on the board within 3 days of one another.

TRENDING THREADS