• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Grande Boucle 2011 TTT - Galibier - Alpe D'Huez

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Looks like somebody has heard our critics and advices!

For La Grande Boucle 2011, Le Tour will be decided in the Alps but not before making a little stop in the Pyrenees, Also we will have a short TTT in the stage 2 (23Kms), Le Tour in the 2011 will visit some mythical climbs like La Col du Galibier and a MTF in Alpe D'Huez... This sounds pretty awesome!

No Prologue (yay!)
Short TTT
La Col du Galibier (with a MTF in Deux Alps though)
Alpe D'Huez

I can't wait for 2011! Now we have to pray for no more kiss kiss - hug hug between the riders! :)

Ryaguas said:

For La Grande Boucle 2011, Le Tour will be decided in the Alps but not before making a little stop in the Pyrenees, Also we will have a short TTT in the stage 2 (23Kms), Le Tour in the 2011 will visit some mythical climbs like La Col du Galibier and a MTF in Alpe D'Huez... This sounds pretty awesome!

No Prologue (yay!)
Short TTT
Alpe D'Huez

I can't wait for 2011! Now we have to pray for no more kiss kiss - hug hug between the riders! :)

where did you get this. They already said it would start in passage du gois, (possible flooding) have the tt in les essarts, and most people could guess they would have the alp but where did you get confirmation?

Also since its going anti clockwise into the pyranees, i wouldnt rule out the tourmalet, having been the last moutain in this years tour, being the first mountain in next years tour.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm, when I saw the topic title I hoped to see "TTT on Alpe d'Huez"

Then it's the 5th best climber who's most important :D

Perhaps they could force teams to do the AdH TTT on five-person tandems.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
eleven said:
Perhaps they could force teams to do the AdH TTT on five-person tandems.

But not linear, on a conferencebike;

843.jpg

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
No Prologue (yay!)
Short TTT
Alpe D'Huez

While this is a good start, it doesn't make a good Tour yet. I hope they put barriers on the whole Alpe D'Huez tho, on both sides of the road.
Going over the Galibier doesn't mean a lot unless you finish on it. I didn't see Deux Alps mentioned, but maybe I'm just not reading it right. Without that, it might very well be a Pau like stage.
Not sure how long/steep the Mont des Alouettes is, but any short uphill finish is good in my opinion.

But as always, it depends on the riders. They can make a boring race out of Alpe D'Huex too if they think that is the right tactics at that point.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Galibier-Briancon-Izoard-Briancon-Granon :D

Anyway, going from the MTF's at Les Deux Alpes and l'Alpe d'Huez, it looks like there'll only be one MTF in the Pyrenees. Wish they'd find some new climbs though.

They're doing a MTF on Les Deux Alpe!? I love that climb! Wasn't it Botero who broke away for the win last time they finished there? Great ride, whoever it was.

Ryaguas said:

No Prologue (yay!)
Short TTT
Alpe D'Huez

It sounds like it will suck once again. Prudhomme has not learned anything from this year or last year. He seems to think that not giving the riders opportunities to create meaningful gaps will keep the race tight and this somehow translates to an exciting Tour because the race will not be decided until late in the Tour. So he will neuter the Pyrenees and hope that Alpe d'Huez will provide the fireworks in the Alps, forgetting that Alpe d'Huez is often said to be a mountain where the TdF cannot be won but can be lost, i.e. it is not steep enough.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm, when I saw the topic title I hoped to see "TTT on Alpe d'Huez"

LOOOL That would be awesome!

Dutchsmurf said:
While this is a good start, it doesn't make a good Tour yet. I hope they put barriers on the whole Alpe D'Huez tho, on both sides of the road.
Going over the Galibier doesn't mean a lot unless you finish on it. I didn't see Deux Alps mentioned, but maybe I'm just not reading it right. Without that, it might very well be a Pau like stage.
Not sure how long/steep the Mont des Alouettes is, but any short uphill finish is good in my opinion.

No no... they don't mention Les Deux Alps that's why I put "Though" at the end of the sentence... When I read Galibier I inmediatly though in that stage in the 98 when Il Pirata did that attack that was sooo awesome... cuz that stage had a MTF in Deux Alps, have the same stage the next year would be really awesome IMO. But a MTF in La Col du Granon sounds really epic too =D

luckyboy said:
Galibier-Briancon-Izoard-Briancon-Granon :D

This is a killer stage! the groupetto wouldn't finish inside the time limit hahaha

Ryaguas said:
LOOOL That would be awesome!

No no... they don't mention Les Deux Alps that's why I put "Though" at the end of the sentence... When I read Galibier I inmediatly though in that stage in the 98 when Il Pirata did that attack that was sooo awesome... cuz that stage had a MTF in Deux Alps, have the same stage the next year would be really awesome IMO. But a MTF in La Col du Granon sounds really epic too =D

This is a killer stage! the groupetto wouldn't finish inside the time limit hahaha

I wonder if the Alp D'Huez stage will be modeled the famous Lemond/Hinault battle since next year would be 25 years since that famous stage.

I hope the Joux-Plane gets a recall I think the last two times it was climbed was '00 and '06. It is one of my favourite Alpine climbs. It might be nice seeing a joux-plane and joux-verre double act.

I would also like to see the Glandon return to the tour, maybe on the Alpe d'Huez stage.

Personally though I always prefer the Pyrenees to the Alps. Maybe they will finsih at Hautacam again?

Given the TTT will be stage 2 I wonder whether there there will be a mountain TT (maybe Sestries) as well as a long TT in the last couple of days. If there is a TTT then I hope it's short but that teams are allowed to actually keep the advantage they gain over opponents rather than the organisers cutting back the advantage to 30s.

Jan the Man said:
I hope the Joux-Plane gets a recall I think the last two times it was climbed was '00 and '06. It is one of my favourite Alpine climbs. It might be nice seeing a joux-plane and joux-verre double act.

I would also like to see the Glandon return to the tour, maybe on the Alpe d'Huez stage.

Personally though I always prefer the Pyrenees to the Alps. Maybe they will finsih at Hautacam again?

Given the TTT will be stage 2 I wonder whether there there will be a mountain TT (maybe Sestries) as well as a long TT in the last couple of days. If there is a TTT then I hope it's short but that teams are allowed to actually keep the advantage they gain over opponents rather than the organisers cutting back the advantage to 30s.

The Schlecks better be recruiting Cancellara to gain time on Alberto in the TTT.

Well I love the fact there is no opening ITT or prologue. But, it will only be exciting if time bonuses are brought back.

I am disappointed that a TTT will be included. Yes, they are fun to watch, but a sorting of the GC will be the result - on ST2. Too early.

While the Pyrenees are my favorite, I am excited to what they have in store for the riders in the Alps.

TRENDING THREADS