• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LA-Hog forming strategic ties with blogs?

First of all, this is a theory. I have no proof nor am I jealous of anyone's success, ambition or friendship circle. Second, not sure if this has been discussed yet so here goes.

As a small time blogger writing 2 times a week, I'm surprised to find that I get little over 45,000-50,000 visitors on a good month. Knowing the size of much bigger and popular cycling blogs like Fat Cyclist (written by Elden Nelson) or BSNYC for instance (Eben Weiss, who also released a book lately) we can easily extrapolate these numbers. Perhaps they get 80,000 or 100,000 readers in a month? Maybe 200,000. Who knows. But it must be significant.

The point being that I find it curious the decision from Johann and Armstrong to befriend these two big time bloggers. Elden has been raising money for LAF for a long time so its not surprising his bias and affection towards Armstrong. Eben, the one who went anonymous for a long time snobbing at bike culture, Craigslist ads and other cycling stupidities was one of the last people you'd expect to jump on the Lance bandwagon.

We know that Lance has traveled to NY to meet and ride bikes with Eben in Central Park. We also know Johann made a grand public announcement to invite Elden into the Radioshack training camp for helping raise so much amount of money. In the end for all his 'services', he was given a TREK bike. This is not new to him. He is open in stating that he gets schwag from companies and I do find in that a bad taste.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that's not the issue. Living in the suspicious atmosphere we are now, do you think it is possible that the Hog and the cowboy might be seeking to form "strategic" partnerships with bloggers especially that these two are so big into social media? "We'll pay you x amount for ad sales, we'll give you nice bikes, we'll put a good word for your upcoming book... you make sure you don't write one negative thing about us and if something comes along that targets us, write something in return to refute it."

It will be quite degrading if this is actually happening, but the truth is out there.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I think you are most likely on to something. I mean it makes sense doesn't it?
If I were either Armstrong or JB this is exactly what I would do. The internet is fast overtaking "mainstream" media sources as the main shaper of public opinion. And the tide is certainly starting to turn against them in that arena ...

You should start a "blog war" with the other sycophant blogs ... I'm sure people on this forum will support you and in any case negative attention will amount to more hits for you. :D

You have got truth on your side. That's the most important thing.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I am considering starting my own blog as I am sick of lance getting picked on by the internet and cycling press. He deserves for someone to stick up for him.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
WonderLance said:
I am considering starting my own blog as I am sick of lance getting picked on by the internet and cycling press. He deserves for someone to stick up for him.

Good idea. He needs *someone* who doesn't hate him for his excellence ..

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Hillavoider said:
can i troll on it pleeeaazzzzzzeeee
Trolling is bad behaviour and I will remove your posts from the comment section of my blog. My blog will only have the truth and proof and evidence and a yellow boader.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
WonderLance said:
Trolling is bad behaviour and I will remove your posts from the comment section of my blog. My blog will only have the truth and proof and evidence and a yellow boader.

you could call your blog "Cozy Ballbag".

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
WonderLance said:

Well, "I Want To Believe" would be a good name for your blog, but I think that is taken.

In all seriousness though, as the transition from "traditional" media to the blogosphere continues, the accountability/impartiality factor is one of those points that is definitely a conundrum. Traditional media have had (but that is changing) editorial staff (get it right and say it properly) and legal staff (don't get our butts sued) that protect the interests of corporations that have real assets.

Co-opting bloggers could theoretically be easier than having a pet reporter, but bloggers live by traffic more than anything else, and if there is even a whiff about impartiality, they get to be scorned in other blogs and traffic plummets.

Some bloggers are undoubtedly clueless regarding minimum (or any) journalistic standards, libel/defamation issues, etc,. They typically have fewer assets to protect than a media corporation, have no local physical community to be responsible to (in the case of local newspapers), and may not give a ****e if they are there next week.

Cozy Beehive said:
...do you think it is possible that the Hog and the cowboy might be seeking to form "strategic" partnerships with bloggers especially that these two are so big into social media? "We'll pay you x amount for ad sales, we'll give you nice bikes, we'll put a good word for your upcoming book... you make sure you don't write one negative thing about us and if something comes along that targets us, write something in return to refute it."

Of course that is possible. In the US in the political arena it is by now standard practice. Is it happening in the cycling world and specifically by Elden or Eben? Only way to find out is if an impartial person pointedly asks them.

Cozy Beehive said:
...we can easily extrapolate these numbers...

Please don't.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It's obvious to me that you're just jealous of these other bloggers, just like LeMond is jealous of Armstrong.

It's also pretty obvious that you love cancer. I mean, what have you done for cancer?

Cozy Beehive=Jealous Hater. Very simple.

Come on man, please tell me that you didn't just figure out how the world works? "quid pro quo" has been around as long as, well, Latin... Armstrong and Co. is a master of controlling his message. I can't believe that you'd even think for a second that this scenario isn't reality?

Life's not fair. That's the reality. It's OK. Stay true to yourself, look yourself in the mirror and smile. Feel sorry for the other clowns who can't respect themselves. Works for me.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Cozy Beehive said:
First of all, this is a theory. I have no proof nor am I jealous of anyone's success, ambition or friendship circle. Second, not sure if this has been discussed yet so here goes.

--snip--

The point being that I find it curious the decision from Johann and Armstrong to befriend these two big time bloggers. Elden has been raising money for LAF for a long time so its not surprising his bias and affection towards Armstrong.

--snip--

It will be quite degrading if this is actually happening, but the truth is out there.

I hope I'm not being pollyanna, but I think (hope) you're being overly cynical in this particular instance. To clarify, I'm not saying that you're entirely off the mark as to LA's underlying motivations, but you've missed one key point (at least as it pertains to Fatty). Regardless of how much epo/autologous RBCs/actovegin/anabolic steroids Armstrong has personally consumed, the LAF played a huge role in assisting Elden whilst his first wife was facing her own (ultimately unsuccessful) battle with metastatic breast cancer.

The fundraising came primarily as a response to the realization that Elden couldn't himself do much to help her. So he instead focused on doing what he could to enable the LAF to help others the way it assisted him.

buckwheat said:
completely plausible

This is what I think. For those are are regulars on those two blogs, it is apparent that the authors are not hesitant to dismiss/lampoon any doping allegations against LA. Lance must prefer it comes out of them than him since he knows he has almost zero credibility in defending himself. So he immediately throws a link referral to the blog post on Twitter to his followers. A million people could visit and be possibly brainwashed overnight. Why, if the bikesnob thinks its trash, it really must be.

_yngve_ said:
I hope I'm not being pollyanna, but I think (hope) you're being overly cynical in this particular instance. To clarify, I'm not saying that you're entirely off the mark as to LA's underlying motivations, but you've missed one key point (at least as it pertains to Fatty). Regardless of how much epo/autologous RBCs/actovegin/anabolic steroids Armstrong has personally consumed, the LAF played a huge role in assisting Elden whilst his first wife was facing her own (ultimately unsuccessful) battle with metastatic breast cancer.

The fundraising came primarily as a response to the realization that Elden couldn't himself do much to help her. So he instead focused on doing what he could to enable the LAF to help others the way it assisted him.

I waited on expressing these thoughts precisely because his wife passed away from cancer. I knew this will come to bite me. But you obviously have a misunderstanding that I'm prodding into LAF's help towards his family . Not true. This is entirely a theory about Lance and the Hog's motivations behind befriending popular bloggers and the potential that blogs have in turning public opinion strictly in favor of the accused.

Information is cheap these days. And the cyber world of so called information can quite easily be transformed into overt propaganda for one's cause.

After all "the truth" can be fabricated, when simulated through perception. It only takes money and a popular forum to do the trick. It seems to me that LA knows this about as well as anyone. And the Hog is behind directing the scenes.

Not only plausible but highly probable.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
You could read the SBS tdf site and read some of the articles by the reporters such as Tomalaris and then you'll read some real rubbish about Lance ans other riders.

"Last night he said that even though the critics think Phil and Paul fawn over LA, he is still just so good!"

I was ROFL!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Phil Liggett is such an epic tool. Such an epic, epic, epic tool. You get the feeling he's a man who knows his job and his role well. He's at all times aware what the officialdom want him to say on every controversial issue, and he pulls it off with sincerity every time. It must be weird going to sleep every night knowing that you're a tool. I wonder what it's like.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
sars1981 said:
Phil Liggett is such an epic tool. Such an epic, epic, epic tool. You get the feeling he's a man who knows his job and his role well. He's at all times aware what the officialdom want him to say on every controversial issue, and he pulls it off with sincerity every time. It must be weird going to sleep every night knowing that you're a tool. I wonder what it's like.

But Bob Roll is the tool of all tools.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
You could read the SBS tdf site and read some of the articles by the reporters such as Tomalaris and then you'll read some real rubbish about Lance ans other riders.

"Last night he said that even though the critics think Phil and Paul fawn over LA, he is still just so good!"

I was ROFL!

So was i, Tomalaris is so star struck by paul and phill he gets sucked into the lance is god mantra they spew out constantly. Last nights commentary was unbearable, paul and phil were working overtime, its so obvious their cedibility will evapourate if lance goes down and now they sound desperate. its just sad, i used to enjoy thier commentary, now it makes me sick how they stand up for dopers.

phill's comments on basso were just as bad as well, he couldn't physically say basso doped, he only said:came 2nd in the tour de france, then there were the bad old days, and now he is back!!

TRENDING THREADS