• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Route d'Occitanie 2019 (2.1, 20.06 - 23.06)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Today's stage 3 - could be fun -
la-route-d-occitanie-2019-stage-3-profile-n2-22861e25d3.jpg

Chapeau young Sosa - Uran could follow but didn't attack, Valverde showed the years are starting to catch up but it was a good recovery back to the front two. I fear the TdF with a stronger group of riders will show up Valverde's weakness even more. Then we're back to the Movistar problem of "do we wait, who's the leader, etc etc" The Giro showed 2 good guys was right, 3 leaders is just confusing.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Chapeau young Sosa - Uran could follow but didn't attack, Valverde showed the years are starting to catch up but it was a good recovery back to the front two. I fear the TdF with a stronger group of riders will show up Valverde's weakness even more. Then we're back to the Movistar problem of "do we wait, who's the leader, etc etc" The Giro showed 2 good guys was right, 3 leaders is just confusing.

its what he does

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Valverde has already said Nairo and Landa are the leaders for GC.

Valverde has this one bag. Nice stage. Good effort by Valverde to catch the attackers. I kind of knew that the silent assassin was going to win. But didn't know by how much. This is the type of stage race that he likes. Few stages and mountainous. Alps, Colombia and Burgos are a proof of that.

I don't think that anything will happen tomorrow.

Valverde showed his experience today in allowing the attacks to go knowing he couldn't follow at that point and then reeling them back in. It took too much out of him to just catch Sosa to have anything really left for another stage win, however he should win the overall tomorrow.

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Robert5091 said:
Valverde has already said Nairo and Landa are the leaders for GC.

Well I hope Movistar learned from last years TdF ... Landa's done the Giro, Nairo's form is questionable and Valverde's coming back from an injury at 39 years old. Strange things have happened in pro-cycling but Movistar don't seemed destined for success at the TdF.

On twitter La Route d'Occitanie has posted that Alejandro is the first rider to win the race in consecutive years and is the first World Champion to win it. I don't know if they mean first World Champion to win while wearing the rainbow stripes or not as they didn't specify that.

Re:

Koronin said:
On twitter La Route d'Occitanie has posted that Alejandro is the first rider to win the race in consecutive years and is the first World Champion to win it. I don't know if they mean first World Champion to win while wearing the rainbow stripes or not as they didn't specify that.
Yes, the first while wearing.

Re:

Koronin said:
On twitter La Route d'Occitanie has posted that Alejandro [...] is the first World Champion to win it. I don't know if they mean first World Champion to win while wearing the rainbow stripes or not as they didn't specify that.
Moser (1977 World Champion) won it in 1982, so it must be the latter