• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

La Vuelta '17 stage 3:Prades Conflent>Andorra la Vella 158km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
yaco said:
I learnt two things from today's stage.

The two strongest riders in the stage didn't get full value for their form - These downhill finishes - Froome can't drop the whole peleton in the mountains as there is also one or two riders who can keep his pace.

Well, they weren't strongest downhill, otherwise they would've won
The gap was already getting smaller before the top.

If it wasn't for the ITT I think this race would be wide open. That is where Froome has the big advantage and because of that he is a strong favourite. It looks like he can no longer sustain a pace when attacking like he could 2-3 years ago to get a big gap on the climbs.

Inquitus said:
ice&fire said:
Rollthedice said:
Chaves is good, can win the whole thing.
Considering the ITT, he will need to gain more than 3 minutes on Froome and 2 minutes on Nibali.

I think 3 minutes is generous, he could ship 5 mins over 40km+ to Froome
He lost 3:13 in the 37 km TT last year. Granted, the first part of that one was a little bit hilly, and this one is flat but the distance is almost the same. (37 vs 40)

Blanco said:
yaco said:

The two strongest riders in the stage didn't get full value for their form - These downhill finishes - Froome can't drop the whole peleton in the mountains as there is also one or two riders who can keep his pace.

Downhill finishes are rubbish in a multi-mountain stage - It doesn't reward the strongest rider.

Re:

Breh said:
Alaphilippe dropping was no surprise tbh. I don't think he expected otherwise.

Mas lost about 9minutes on that last climb it seems.
Alaphilippe was at the back of the peloton even before the climb, you can easily identify him as he's wearing the young rider red bib. Either he's not feeling well or still not on form, to get dropped so early.

Inquitus said:
ice&fire said:
Rollthedice said:
Considering the ITT, he will need to gain more than 3 minutes on Froome and 2 minutes on Nibali.

To me, it's hard to see past Froome if he maintains this level of form... 40km ITT is tailor made for him. I can only see Nibali to worry him given his quite honnest TT skills. Chavito is not likely to win this edition, unfortunately.

Krokro said:
Inquitus said:
ice&fire said:
Rollthedice said:

To me, it's hard to see past Froome if he maintains this level of form... 40km ITT is tailor made for him. I can only see Nibali to worry him given his quite honnest TT skills. Chavito is not likely to win this edition, unfortunately.

Long way to go yet ...there will be lots of twists yet...some even caused by Contador

yaco said:
Blanco said:
yaco said:

Downhill finishes are rubbish in a multi-mountain stage - It doesn't reward the strongest rider.

But rewards a real racers! Strongest will have their chances...

yaco said:
Blanco said:
yaco said:

latest

Re:

portugal11 said:
Movistar is completely dead...

Only riders left are Moreno and Bananito. Young guys like Soler, Fernandez and Carapaz already completely gone after three days. They desperately need a stage win here. Quick sign Alarcon and let him ride as Arcas. :redface:

And they are having an awful transfer period, too. Losing all their firepower. Really bad.

Geraint Too Fast said:
HelloDolly said:
So all those hyping Kelderman, Allaphillipe, Soler, Fernandez, Betencur...have a serious talk with yourself please ...

Look out everybody, the fun police is here.
Heh.

But in all honoustly, I expected Kelderman to be lower end top 10. Or at least to hang with the group at +30s from the heads of state. This was seriously bad from him. In fact, all the Tour of Poland guys sucked except for Nibali.

Where was Majka?

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Geraint Too Fast said:
HelloDolly said:
So all those hyping Kelderman, Allaphillipe, Soler, Fernandez, Betencur...have a serious talk with yourself please ...

Look out everybody, the fun police is here.
Heh.

But in all honoustly, I expected Kelderman to be lower end top 10. Or at least to hang with the group at +30s from the heads of state. This was seriously bad from him. In fact, all the Tour of Poland guys sucked except for Nibali.

Where was Majka?

With Contie. Bad day for both.

TRENDING THREADS