• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España La Vuelta Femenina 2024 (April 28th-May 5th)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Crash tastic finish, i guess the roads are wet there, absolutely not helped by the coverage.

Were there really some riders who managed to vault a barrier !?! It was like how on earth did they get there at one stage.

Jackson can't really top those celebrations for the podium though :)

Clipboard.png

GC
Clipboard.png

Reactions: glassmoon
A disappointing result when Jackson was effectively sprinting against climber/classics types - It was an awesome lead out by Faulkner.
This race was a disaster.. Full stop. The bunch was thick too many times, riders all across the road 8-10 across, afraid to attack, people riding really really sloppy and not getting wheels, big teams daydreaming and gap opening and a @30 second separation with members of big teams chasing w 8-9 k to go with snails pace.

I normally have the opinion that long stage races give hosting cities and country awesome opportunities to showcase their home, in this case circuit through abandoned farms,clubs, fallow farms,graffiti and a dismal industrial park loop including helicopter shots of decline and decay.
Show a beach shot in conclusion as some kind of way to salvage some sense of attractive tourism. That reminded me of a masters 50+ all categories race in the US.. Didn't look professional, not that fast, not that technical and crashing all over, and either race radios were not working or directors saying " nobody attack, just sit around " . For sure it can only get better

Faulkner's lead out was pretty good, too. Vas was the fastest of the survivors, but she started her sprint a notch too far behind Jackson.

I hope no one got seriously hurt in those crashes.
Movistar had almost the whole team go down. No time losses but obviously it's Lippert's return to racing after a long injury so not an auspicious start.

Of people who lost time - although some of those with small time losses may see these wiped before tomorrow if they were baulked by the crashes - the most notable names would appear to be Marlen Reusser and Marta Cavalli, though some decent climbers like Stiasny and Harvey were in the +30" group with them too, and Niedermaier came in at +50", ahead of the crashed group including NFB, Deignan, Lippert, Baril and others. Since most came in within a couple of minutes hopefully there's nothing too serious involved for them, I'd be more concerned for Mieke Docx and Emma Norsgaard who both took several minutes to make the line. Meijering lost four minutes and Kiesenhofer eleven, though.

Movistar had almost the whole team go down. No time losses but obviously it's Lippert's return to racing after a long injury so not an auspicious start.

Of people who lost time - although some of those with small time losses may see these wiped before tomorrow if they were baulked by the crashes - the most notable names would appear to be Marlen Reusser and Marta Cavalli, though some decent climbers like Stiasny and Harvey were in the +30" group with them too, and Niedermaier came in at +50", ahead of the crashed group including NFB, Deignan, Lippert, Baril and others. Since most came in within a couple of minutes hopefully there's nothing too serious involved for them, I'd be more concerned for Mieke Docx and Emma Norsgaard who both took several minutes to make the line. Meijering lost four minutes and Kiesenhofer eleven, though.

Cavalli was hanging around the back AVV style, but I assume she was dropped due to the first crash. Since G1 and G2 merged just after that crash, I think it will be much easier for the commissaires to give all those riders the same time.