• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España La Vuelta Femenina 2024 (April 28th-May 5th)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van Dijk off to the hospital for x-rays. Did she actually finish?
Surely she had to cross the line still? Even if they invoked a crash within 2km rule which ive no idea was in force or is allowed in TTT, to give them same time as their team result,or as per dropped riders

though I was thinking at the time why are they dismantling those bikes and Elynor Backstedt looked to be wandering off away from the course.

Van Dijk off to the hospital for x-rays. Did she actually finish?
She was at least up and walking on the TV coverage, and was out of the way when SD Worx came past three minutes later

She and Backstedt are listed as same time as the rest of the team at PCS: surely there is no 3km rule in a TTT? Let's put that one down as awaiting clarification.

I timed SD works as 28 seconds from the white line on the road as they went into that corner to the finish, and Trek as 16 seconds, so about 8 lost.

Realini seems the most unlikely to be in the lead after a flat time trial, but she was the one who seemed to have a sense of urgency among her teammates.

Reactions: claude cat
She was at least up and walking on the TV coverage, and was out of the way when SD Worx came past three minutes later

She and Backstedt are listed as same time as the rest of the team at PCS: surely there is no 3km rule in a TTT? Let's put that one down as awaiting clarification.

I timed SD works as 28 seconds from the white line on the road as they went into that corner to the finish, and Trek as 16 seconds, so about 8 lost.

Realini seems the most unlikely to be in the lead after a flat time trial, but she was the one who seemed to have a sense of urgency among her teammates.

It's even weirder because onscreen timing gave them a 2secs lead, though I felt it was nearer 1 by the finish , yet official results give them and Visma the same time so how does that work and what were they timing onscreen ?

So I'm also guessing they've done the thing where Realini would ordinarily hold all the jerseys, but they've awarded them in descending finishing order based on GC

Deignan - points
Chapman - QoM
Longo B - combativity
Lidl Trek - team

Garcia - best Spanish rider

Niedermaier - Youth ( though that doesn't seem to have featured on the podium)

I guess it was beyond the red triangle.
UCI Rule 2.6.028
In the case of a duly noted fall, puncture or mechanical incident beyond the red triangle in a team time trial stage, the rider or riders involved shall be credited with the time of the teammate(s) in whose company he was/they were riding at the moment of the incident.
If, as the result of a duly noted fall beyond the red triangle, a rider cannot cross the finishing line, he shall be credited with the time of the teammate(s) in whose company he was riding at the time of the accident.

Last edited:
So today we got the first flat-ish stage of the race. However with a fairly weak sprint field, only DSM and Visma might be fully committed to keep it together for a sprint, so perhaps something interesting will happen in the final. There's also a chance that Charlotte Kool can be dropped on L'Oronet if the pace is high enough. Still, I expect it to end in a bunch sprint.

It looks like it could rain during the stage, but not a crazy amount.

Reactions: Didinho
Does that mean that a good TTT is one that makes no difference, ie, may as well not happen at all?
The best TTTs in stage races are ones that don't happen.

You know the rules by now.

Velodrome, 100km in national teams at Olympics and World Championships, standalone events, and Lenin statues, these are the only circumstances where a TTT should be allowed.

Reactions: veganrob and DJO
ELB, who for some reason is wearing the white jersey (I guess she's young at heart), has been down in a crash, but it sounds like she's alright.

Silvia Zanardi (Human Powered Health), Valerie Demey (Volkerwessels), Audrey de Keersmaeker (Lotto-Dstny), Idoia Eraso (Laboral Kutxa-Fundación Euskadi), Angela Oro (Bepink-Bongioanni) and Marine Allione (Winspace) have a lead of around 3 minutes. Lourdes Oyarbide (Laboral Kutxa-Fundación Euskadi) and Andrea Casagranda (Bepink-Bongioanni) are riding somewhere in-between the front group and the peloton.

Reactions: glassmoon