• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España La Vuelta Femenina 2024 (April 28th-May 5th)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I really want to be an SD Worx DS, you clearly need no qualifications.
If you have a rudimentary understanding of cycling tactics, you're already overqualified I'm afraid.

It's just been several years of "have the strongest riders" and "everybody else is sitting on the front wasting energy so we may as well save ours", then it's become "Lotte's gonna do her thing, so just work with it" lately, and the one time they actually somehow managed a coherent plan was the Amstel Gold Race where they toasted both Kopecky AND Vollering in order that Wiebes could win a race that, if the parcours wasn't so pathetic, she shouldn't have been close to, only for Lorena to pull a Zabel and waste all of the work anyway.

Reactions: Skalman and awavey
Bizarre tactics from Vollering. Just sit in the group and monitor 2nd and 3rd in GC - The group will naturally thin down - Gotta say the headwind neutralised the stage.
And additionally securing top finish for her teammate, she only thinks of herself. Glad that this time her stupid tactic, doing all the work for herself and don't trust teammates (Reusser is the only rider she trusts), didn't worked out.

Yeah that was kind of funny. But what a ride by Muzic, Vollering might not have it all her way, although you would think GC wise noone can touch her.

GMqnIkPWEAAwChu

That smile

GMqoiBzXgAAmDCh

View: https://twitter.com/LaVueltaFem/status/1786425116139602285
If only she had a few more dimensions to her riding. She came from CX so she's pretty adaptable, but she usually gets all her best results in races that favour the climber, and usually gets better the steeper the climbs get (see results on things like Lagunas de Neila, Giro dell'Emilia or Flèche Wallonne) and especially on the longer climbs (see top results being on things like the Mont Ventoux Challenge, Thyon 2000 in the Tour de Romandie, and Pleynet-les-Sept-Laux in the Alpes Gresivaudan Classic).

I think for a while that massive crash she caused in the Women's Tour at the end of 2021 kind of affected her in terms of her confidence within the péloton as she'd often be rather poorly placed coming into final climbs, or would simply have to domestique for Cavalli and Uttrup (understandably so) but having a bit more freedom here and having grown up a bit, I really think she's a talent, after all she was top 10 of the Giro four years ago (admittedly with the help of the final breakaway and that was a very weird year), but unlike some like Mikayla Harvey who've never looked like scaling that level again, she's always had these moments where she looks like she's going to join the leadership committee at the team.

Although her breaking out like this does throw a wrench in terms of future plans for FDJ as if they are getting Vollering, then they already have two leaders who are treading on each others' toes in terms of targeted racing a bit; Vollering and Muzic would be two more riders who would both also be looking at the same parts of the calendar. Obviously they're not going to have all four racing together so at least one is likely going - but surely it won't be Évita, as the top French GC hope on the French team (Labous obviously is riding for an overseas squad), so this would appear to then reinforce the likelihood of the team's current leadership's departure?

If only she had a few more dimensions to her riding. She came from CX so she's pretty adaptable, but she usually gets all her best results in races that favour the climber, and usually gets better the steeper the climbs get (see results on things like Lagunas de Neila, Giro dell'Emilia or Flèche Wallonne) and especially on the longer climbs (see top results being on things like the Mont Ventoux Challenge, Thyon 2000 in the Tour de Romandie, and Pleynet-les-Sept-Laux in the Alpes Gresivaudan Classic).

I think for a while that massive crash she caused in the Women's Tour at the end of 2021 kind of affected her in terms of her confidence within the péloton as she'd often be rather poorly placed coming into final climbs, or would simply have to domestique for Cavalli and Uttrup (understandably so) but having a bit more freedom here and having grown up a bit, I really think she's a talent, after all she was top 10 of the Giro four years ago (admittedly with the help of the final breakaway and that was a very weird year), but unlike some like Mikayla Harvey who've never looked like scaling that level again, she's always had these moments where she looks like she's going to join the leadership committee at the team.

Although her breaking out like this does throw a wrench in terms of future plans for FDJ as if they are getting Vollering, then they already have two leaders who are treading on each others' toes in terms of targeted racing a bit; Vollering and Muzic would be two more riders who would both also be looking at the same parts of the calendar. Obviously they're not going to have all four racing together so at least one is likely going - but surely it won't be Évita, as the top French GC hope on the French team (Labous obviously is riding for an overseas squad), so this would appear to then reinforce the likelihood of the team's current leadership's departure?

So today was just training for how Vollering will leadout Muzic when she joins FDJ.

Bizarre tactics from Vollering. Just sit in the group and monitor 2nd and 3rd in GC - The group will naturally thin down - Gotta say the headwind neutralised the stage.
TV coverage ,camera angles from above and from motos definitely didn't give good perspective on the climb, it wasn't super difficult but riders were having their legs popped off way earlier on the grade than I expected. Pace for last @35k was really really steady,
I don't see Vollering as riding using silly tactics. She has great control and is like a female Remco w her cadence and power coming sitting down, w 90 degree bent elbows and a super quiet, back,head and upper body, definition of smooth. Contrasting riders all around struggling to generate power and standing up trying to turn over the gear, while Vollering looks effortless. If you are behind her and watch her rear end, legs and upper body you have to be thinking she has a motor, is an alien creature or both. She truly demoralized the field without trying that hard.
Impressive to see Vos just stay inside herself and ride her own pace, on today's climb it was like watching the end of an era, she didn't even think way earlier to try and match Vollering.
If destroying GC and getting second by a couple of bike lengths is dumb tactics sign me up. I for one am super impressed with her ability to get up 6-8% with leg speed and steady pace, like a sewing machine!! Bonus she has fair skin and freckles and at the finish she isn't even red or rosy she looks like she went for coffee.

Reactions: awavey
I miss one stage... and what a stage to miss...

COMMUNIQUE OF THE COMMISSAIRES’ PANEL 7
Art. 2.12.007/3.5.02
Identification number missing: Rider n 61 VOS, Marianne (10003114488) TVL
Fine of CHF 200.

Art. 2.12.007/8.1
DS TIJJSEN, Rutger (10124439159) TVL
DS ITURRIAGAETXEBERRIA, Eneritz (10037024880) EIC

Fine of CHF 100 each.

MEDICAL REPORT

Fall of Aniek Van Alphen, jersey 87. Right shoulder contusion, without requirement of urgent transport to hospital, rider withdraws from the race. Re‐evaluated at the finish line for shoulder contusion, for uncontrolled pain and swelling hospital evaluation is recommended.

For those that think skinsuits in road races are a bad idea, Demi agrees :D

apparently it was for a call of nature stop, no doubt with last years call of nature stop in mind whilst in the leaders jersey, Demi was keen on not losing time getting ready for it.

Apparently the Vuelta femenina is the first race to use mobile toilets for riders during a race.
View: https://x.com/LaVueltaFem/status/1786033477973946510

So today we've finally got a Kiesenhofer attack, but it doesn't look like her group will be allowed to stay away.

The finish should suit Vos to at T, but Movistar with either Lippert or Baril being led out by Lippert might also want to play along. I have my doubts about Kool, but if she's on a good day she could have a chance, too.

How come this isn't on Eurosport? This is more exciting than the Giro atm, I saw it wasn't on earlier and thought it was bad but didn't care cause it looked dull sprint but now there is crosswinds I wanna watch it

Last edited:
For those that think skinsuits in road races are a bad idea, Demi agrees :D

apparently it was for a call of nature stop, no doubt with last years call of nature stop in mind whilst in the leaders jersey, Demi was keen on not losing time getting ready for it.

Apparently the Vuelta femenina is the first race to use mobile toilets for riders during a race.
View: https://x.com/LaVueltaFem/status/1786033477973946510
The problem is that riders pass them at mostly the same time, and there are not many of them. So is there going to be a queue for the toilets? If so riders are going to lose a lot of time. I just don't see how that could work in practice