• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lachlan Morton

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't see why he doesn't do this as a self-funded pro like others, instead of stealing away a position from the WT peleton.
If you’ve ever heard Peter Stetina or Ted King et. al. talk about the business side of chasing sponsors and building a schedule, there is quite a bit of off the bike time dedicated to the business of being a self employed pro. Lachlan strikes me as someone who simply wants to ride his bike, and if he can pay the bills doing it, all the better. I’ve never met the guy so I’m guessing, but the simplicity of having a team structure might be a better fit for him. I don’t know if he wants to dedicate the time and energy required on the business side to be a self employed pro.

Yes, as he is doing this we are here talking about him, EF and his sponsors. And the team and their sponsors are getting a lot of exposure by his exploits outside pro road racing (and when he pro races he is of course more mentioned by the press because he is the guy who did thousands of kms in France last summer alone during the Tour de France and is here competing in this race)..

With no disrespect towards them, I bet he gives much more exposure to his team and sponsors than someone like Daniel Arroyave, James Whelan of Julius van den Berg, for example.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Riders like Dombrowski and Stetina have shown that you can ride an alternative calendar as an independent contractor and attract sponsorship - Surely if Morton has such 'appeal' then he can do the same.
Morton has more of a stoner vibe/appeals more to the American hipster cycling community and he has a bit of a cult following for doing those Thereabouts documentaries with his brother (the one in Australia is pretty good, I haven't seen the other ones).
The one American who used to be on their team who could probably do something similar and get the same amount of exposure is Phinney.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
Morton has more of a stoner vibe/appeals more to the American hipster cycling community and he has a bit of a cult following for doing those Thereabouts documentaries with his brother (the one in Australia is pretty good, I haven't seen the other ones).
The one American who used to be on their team who could probably do something similar and get the same amount of exposure is Phinney.
Interesting you mention Phinney, he's in Whereabouts 2 along with pre-Ironman Cam Wurf

Yeah, I know it isn't a professional race, (it's kicked the ass of many a former pro)...but Morton is crushing the FKT on Tour Divide. He's ridden 329.5km in the last 24 hours. I'm sure much of nobody cares, and he can't actually take the win this year because he has a camera crew, but still, he is CRUSHING the record...for now. That route has a way of humbling people.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it isn't a professional race, (it's kicked the ass of many a former pro)...but Morton is crushing the FKT on Tour Divide. He's ridden 329.5km in the last 24 hours. I'm sure much of nobody cares, and he can't actually take the win this year because he has a camera crew, but still, he is CRUSHING the record...for now. That route has a way of humbling people.
Is there live timing?

TRENDING THREADS