• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance and le tour... new book

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Thought I'd share knowledge of this as I've just finished reading it and got to say I'm rather impressed with it. Is a great read for any Lance fan.

An excellent book, well worth the money and quite different from the other Lance books. It's neither pro or anti-Lance, it just lets you form your own opinion on the man. Loads of stuff in there I'd never read before, particularly liked the interviews with his former team-mates and associates.

It's called Lance and Le Tour - The Complete History of Cycling's Most Uneasy Alliance

Picked mine up from a shop called cycling weekly shop (cyclingweekly.ipcshop.co.uk).

Hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did! :eek:

A

Anonymous

hmmm.. written (or shall we say compiled) by some bloke called Matt Lamy writer of such previous greats as "100 great mysteries" and its a cycling weekly exclusive publication...

why do i think it could be a complete pile of ball cocks

so is Sycler matt, or does he just work for CW?

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Well I don't know who Syler is, and it's certainly not me, but I thank them for their kind words. If they do work for CW, they haven't told me.

Dimspace - I don't think there's any need to suggest the book was "compiled". I conducted brand new interviews with 16 people involved - to varying degrees - with the Armstrong story: Ochowicz, Ekimov, Heras, Rubiera, Pena, Yates, Hincapie,... even the bloke that pulled the tumours out of Lance's brain. Every word in the book was written by me, and I'm pretty proud of it.

But, hey, don't take my word for it being a good read, just ask George (Nov 18): http://twitter.com/GHincapie.

"why do i think it could be a complete pile of ball cocks" - I'm sure there's a phrase about 'books' and 'covers' that might be relevant.

Best wishes,
Matt

(Incidentally, if you'd like to order a copy of '100 Strangest Unexplained Mysteries' feel free to order one from here: http://www.amazon.com/100-Strangest-Mysteries-Matt-Lamy/dp/0760791929)

A

Anonymous

thank you for coming and clarifying.. i happily stand corrected...

Not to bash a book I haven't read, or even seen the cover of, but do we really need another Lance book? He's already ubiquitous (take a look at this site, and every other on cycling). He's been on possibly every third bicycling magazine cover for the last 10 years in cycling. He also is considered a very active Tweeter, where near constant information can be found out about him. Everyone knows who he is, and his story, his life.

I go into the book store and maybe a quarter of all the books in the cycling section are on Lance alraedy. He even has his own page on Amazon, where no less than 24 books exist with him as the primary subject:

It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life, Comeback 2.0: Up Close and Personal. Lance: The Making of the World's Greatest Champion, Every Second Counts, The Lance Armstrong Performance Program: Seven Weeks to the Perfect Ride, We Might As Well Win, Lance Armstrong's War, How Lance Does It, No Mountain High Enough, Lance Armstrong: The Race of His Life, 22 Days in July, Lance Armstrong: A biography, The LA Performance Program, Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour, Cycling Fitness: Exercise Programs, On the Bike….with LA, Tour de Lance: The Extraordinary, Lance in France, Inside the Postal Bus: My Ride with Lance, Lance Armstrong (Amazing Athletes series), Lance Armstrong – Historic Six Time Champ, Lance Armstrong: Racing for his Life, Sweet Victory: Lance Armstrong And of course, From Lance to Landis and LA Confidential.

I'd like to see someone write something new. Something that requires digging about something we don't know enough about. Say, a book on Alberto Contador. Who he is, what makes him tick. Or one on someone more mysterious, such as Tyler Hamilton, and his complete story.

Yet another book on Armstrong. All "new" material on him, is relative, given the amount of cyberswopping.
Still, if you want to write a proper book on a cyclist and don't want to crash and burn, you will always sell, using Lance, to RR's spankers.

Like Alpe. I'd like to see a book on Contador's life. After all, he's already had his share of ups and downs.
I suspect our only chance of this, is a translation and they are hardly ever undertaken.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Yet another book on Armstrong. All "new" material on him, is relative, given the amount of cyberswopping.
Still, if you want to write a proper book on a cyclist and don't want to crash and burn, you will always sell, using Lance, to RR's spankers.

Like Alpe. I'd like to see a book on Contador's life. After all, he's already had his share of ups and downs.
I suspect our only chance of this, is a translation and they are hardly ever undertaken.

Is there any English versions of Ullrich's autobiography out there on the web? I know it is a few years old, but it would still be interesting to read.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'd like to see someone write something new. Something that requires digging about something we don't know enough about. Say, a book on Alberto Contador. Who he is, what makes him tick. Or one on someone more mysterious, such as Tyler Hamilton, and his complete story.

Alberto speaks about his illness in this weeks CyclingWeekly magazine. It will be up on the web next Thursday. Makes for very interesting reading and agree would make a great book.

I also noticed Armstrong has released no less than 3 books this year with the latest being "My Comeback: Up Close and Personal" which of course is about awareness... :rolleyes:

He must have made buckloads this year. Well done to him. Good idea this comeback.

A

Anonymous

so basically this forum isnt the best place in the world to sell a lance book?

Publicus said:
What in the heck is cancer? :rolleyes:

Is used to be an illness. Now it's a marketing tool.

I guess Lance hopes they never find a cure because it would cut his revenues.

The lines are blurred these days on what is the illness & what is fist pumping. Some of us don't want to fist pump when we're supporting others through the condition.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Interesting, isn't it, that Contador doesn't feel the need to 'sell' his illness and milk every available penny out of it - when, actually, his comeback is no less amazing (set aside the way he cares for his disabled brother who wasn't so lucky with the same problem)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
, his comeback is no less amazing (set aside the way he cares for his disabled brother who wasn't so lucky with the same problem)

As far as I know his brother has cerebral palsy. What illness did Alberto comeback from?

Murray said:
As far as I know his brother has cerebral palsy. What illness did Alberto comeback from?

Cavernoma. Around 0.1 to 0.5 of the world population suffer from it. It's far mode deadly than say testicular cancer.

For Alberto November 27th 2004 is the most important day of his life. It was his first day back on the bike after a 7 month layoff and nearly dying of the infliction.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Cavernoma. Around 0.1 to 0.5 of the world population suffer from it. It's far more deadly than say testicular cancer.

Not really a fair comparison. Cavernoma is benign, but is deadly if it bleeds, testicular cancer is a metastatic carcinoma which is deadly because it spreads. Both are bad. I don't think we need to rank them.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Interesting, isn't it, that Contador doesn't feel the need to 'sell' his illness and milk every available penny out of it - when, actually, his comeback is no less amazing (set aside the way he cares for his disabled brother who wasn't so lucky with the same problem)

Here's another take... interesting that Contador doesn't feel the need to start a foundation to help other people.

Sycler said:
Hi,

Thought I'd share knowledge of this as I've just finished reading it and got to say I'm rather impressed with it. Is a great read for any Lance fan.

An excellent book, well worth the money and quite different from the other Lance books. It's neither pro or anti-Lance, it just lets you form your own opinion on the man. Loads of stuff in there I'd never read before, particularly liked the interviews with his former team-mates and associates.

It's called Lance and Le Tour - The Complete History of Cycling's Most Uneasy Alliance

Picked mine up from a shop called cycling weekly shop (cyclingweekly.ipcshop.co.uk).

Hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did! :eek:

I bet they were honest and told the world what kind of person Lance is. Because we all know there are no repercussions for anyone that speaks their mind against Lance. Not even speaks their mind - all they have to do is hint at not agreeing with something he has done.

All I'll say is that From Lance to Landis should be required reading for every Lance fan. Then tell us what yee think.

He really needs to capitalize on that. He could be living here:

lance-armstrong-pad.jpg

instead of his current place:

Outside_0.jpg

All it takes is awareness, and desire to help humanity, and believing in miracles.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
He really needs to capitalize on that. He could be living here:

lance-armstrong-pad.jpg

instead of his current place:

Outside_0.jpg

All it takes is awareness, and desire to help humanity, and believing in miracles.

wait, is that top one Lance's place in Austin and the bottom one where Floyd is currently sleeping on the sofa?

the whole donating to his cause to fight TdF doping and Greg LeMond incident aside I do feel for Floyd, he's just been spat out of the Lance machine and left to die...

A

Anonymous

bianchigirl said:

to be fair, lance didnt write the book.. and hes about the only person who seems to have not been interviewed for it..

bit hard to hold it against the guy for someone else writing a book about him...

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Murray said:
Here's another take... interesting that Contador doesn't feel the need to start a foundation to help other people.
Good question. Maybe he doesn't feel the need to create a gargantuan bureaucracy with ill-defined purpose so that efficient outcomes are impossible to measure. Maybe he doesn't feel the need create his very own foundation to suck philanthropic money out of the system and away from organisations that have a demonstrated effectiveness. Maybe he would prefer to give his support to existing organisation(s). Maybe he doesn't feel the need to beat his chest about it. Maybe he lives in Spain and doesn't feel the need to let you know about every bleedin' thing he does.

TRENDING THREADS