• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance Armstrong popularity check

May 14, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
Lance's fame is plummeting faster than Lindsey Lohan's carreer, sinking faster than the Athens Exchange.
Next public humiliation:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/lance-armstrong-effigy-goes-flames-102848268.html

Anybody slowly, secretively starting to feel a bit sorry for Lance?
Then this is the place to confess.

Not me though. Well, for his five kids perhaps. They must surely be receiving some psychological treatment in order to cope with this.

a3806253-73-crickets%20chirping.gif

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:

yeah, no confession thread needed after all.;)

personally I'm not sure if I feel some pity for him, or if it's more what the germans call fremdschämen (roughly "to be ashamed on someone else's behalf"). As I said, his kids must have a tough time, seeing their dad turning from public heroe into public looser, from bullying to getting bullied.
life is full of irony.

Tinman said:
@lancearmstrong
"Hangin' in there"
media_22396167.jpg
:D

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Lance, you are a great athlete, but with a real level playing field you won only the 1999 Tour and probably the '2000 one.

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I feel a bit sorry for him

Orrr, do me a favour …!

Next stop will be a quote of the chapter, where Millar describes his visit at Jean-Marie Leblancs office and quotes him talking about forgiveness. Phew …

No, he did what he did, intentionally, with open eyes, fully aware of the risk and with no concern for others. I would say, when all victims have received the appropriate satisfaction and all damages are compensated, then we can start to think about how hard times must be for Mr. Armstrong. Not a second earlier.

And when I think of his children – problems they might have add up to his bill too. That’s a pity, yes, and he didn’t spend a thought on this either.

fat_boy_fat said:
Orrr, do me a favour …!

Next stop will be a quote of the chapter, where Millar describes his visit at Jean-Marie Leblancs office and quotes him talking about forgiveness. Phew …

No, he did what he did, intentionally, with open eyes, fully aware of the risk and with no concern for others. I would say, when all victims have received the appropriate satisfaction and all damages are compensated, then we can start to think about how hard times must be for Mr. Armstrong. Not a second earlier.

And when I think of his children – problems they might have add up to his bill too. That’s a pity, yes, and he didn’t spend a thought on this either.
Can't really fault someone for feeling sorry for him at some point. That just means they're better persons than Armstrong.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Lance, you are a great athlete but only with dope but with a real level playing field you would've have won only nothing and probably nothing even as a tri athlete.

Fixed.

Lance competed on a level palying field and finished 5th in a swimming race at 12 years of age. I think we can savely say he had no potential ever without dope!

No sympathy. He's alive and Pantani is dead. Nothing will bring back Pantani, Jimenez or any of the others who lost far more than their dignity and money as a result of the doping environment Armstrong created and maintained.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't, and I don't think I will until he admits to his wrongdoings. That's the absolute least that he should do.
I dont want an insincere apology on Oprah.

We know Armstrong. That is not what he does.

This would be just more gauze to fold over the eyes of the rubes who bought all those wristbands. If you apply some rigour and assess it, what good comes out of him appealing to sympathy, and doing a Martha Stewart and prostrating himself before Oprah and soccer moms. Prostate himself might be more appropriate.

blackcat said:
I dont want an insincere apology on Oprah.

We know Armstrong. That is not what he does.

This would be just more gauze to fold over the eyes of the rubes who bought all those wristbands. If you apply some rigour and assess it, what good comes out of him appealing to sympathy, and doing a Martha Stewart and prostrating himself before Oprah and soccer moms. Prostate himself might be more appropriate.
Of course, not any apology would do. I reserve the right to judge whether I find it convincing.

Chances of an Armstrong apology being convincing are currently zilch.

?

hrotha said:
Of course, not any apology would do. I reserve the right to judge whether I find it convincing.

chances of ANY apology?

personally i feel that it's just as likely that mr v / fat pat are working tirelessly

for the good of cycling rather than for personal enrichment and that lance

works similarly for cancer awareness

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:

currently zilch? With the qualifier convincing, do you think placing it in time scale, makes if a possibility. I have already written this off. And him off. I would more respect if he is authentic to who he is, and does not change a millimetre on his seat post

blackcat said:
currently zilch? With the qualifier convincing, do you think placing it in time scale, makes if a possibility. I have already written this off. And him off. I would more respect if he is authentic to who he is, and does not change a millimetre on his seat post
I can't see into the future, maybe you can.

TRENDING THREADS