• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance Armstrong will win stage 15...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
a fitting finale would be his arrest on the champs elysees. Preferably right in front of me so i can get a good view
That would be fabulous! And you see him wheeled off towards l'Arc de Triumphe, sticking his head out between the bars in disbelief in the back of a policevan.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I remember the ride onto the Champes a few years back when the peleton allowed Ekimov to lead the way and wave to the fans. I thought this was a great way for the riders to show Ekimov respect for his many years of racing.

If the group allows Armstrong to do the same, then we will have an indication that he is respected by his peers. If not, then we will have an indication that he as not well liked.

If this is to be Hincapie's finale, will the group allow him to have those honors? To see the group allow Hincapie to enjoy leading the parade instead of Lance would be kind of telling.

As fans of the sport, our opinions matter very lettle compared to the competitors. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
a fitting finale would be his arrest on the champs elysees. Preferably right in front of me so i can get a good view

nah in the morning before the stage so he doesn't get to ride it:rolleyes: and the TV shows countless repeats of it during the stage...with LA screaming "you cant do this to me I am the TdF..":D

David Suro said:
I remember the ride onto the Champes a few years back when the peleton allowed Ekimov to lead the way and wave to the fans. I thought this was a great way for the riders to show Ekimov respect for his many years of racing.

If the group allows Armstrong to do the same, then we will have an indication that he is respected by his peers. If not, then we will have an indication that he as not well liked.

If this is to be Hincapie's finale, will the group allow him to have those honors? To see the group allow Hincapie to enjoy leading the parade instead of Lance would be kind of telling.

As fans of the sport, our opinions matter very lettle compared to the competitors. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

this might be hincapies last tdf?

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes. It might be Hincapie's last. It is his 15th. The record is 16. I would like to see him match the record, but CycleSport magazing seems to think this is his last.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
Yes. It might be Hincapie's last. It is his 15th. The record is 16. I would like to see him match the record, but CycleSport magazing seems to think this is his last.

I think it will be his last and it will partly be due to legal reasons. :)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
What a cruel bunch.

The sport belongs to the pros more than to people on here. Some people think they own the sport and that it is their sport.

Pros have every right to do as they please. After-all it is their game. Join in, if you please, or care.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I think putting Armstrongs name next to Casartelli's (or any classy champion) is disrespectful to Casartelli.

He will not win.

A good finale? To come clean about...well...you know what :D

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
What a waste of a stage that would be, to have a staged goodbye to a false hero's third retirement from the sport. Last year I rode past the monument on the climb Casartelli died on, it's not an Armstrong monument, lets not let it become even more associated to him, a racer died there, there's a Casartelli fan club who visit it every year and stay in St Girons, it needs left to Casartelli's memory for people like that, not some worn out old pro who retired one time too many.
As you can see by my reaction to the idea of him taking this stage, and as every cyclist who's visited that monument can see, it needs left to the memory of the person who it's built for, nobody else. There's plenty more riders who've not won a stage who deserve one, I hope one of them wins it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mortailcoil said:
What a cruel bunch.

The sport belongs to the pros more than to people on here. Some people think they own the sport and that it is their sport.

Pros have every right to do as they please. After-all it is their game. Join in, if you please, or care.
Welcome to the forum.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
mortailcoil said:
What a cruel bunch.

I dont think so. The sport at this stage belongs to the team sponsors, the race organisers and the UCI. The riders are the suckers that have to suffer their whims for our spectacle in the hope that we buy the phones, bank with them or visit some former russian state, and bring the tv viewing figures up....as i said the pros dont have many rights at all...

mortailcoil said:
What a cruel bunch.

Bull****. Your opinion of the posters here aside, the sport belongs to the fans. The riders have a say, as do the teams, the sponsors and the fans.

Without the fans there are no sponsorships, salaries, or jobs for the riders.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:

Like him or not, at minimum, they should be kissing his *** for the profile and money he ushered into cycling.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
benpounder said:
He already had that in 2005. He would have been wise to leave it at that.

Seriously even though I agree with you because he now went the road of Michael Jordan. He was a great, 7 TDF wins and now he's going to go out like Jordan did when he retired a Wizard. But Who does everyone else think they are when they make semi threatning statments like "if he knew what's good for him" or anything else simular. Fact of the matter is instead of sitting here critiquing everything every pro rider does go ride. All you "fans" are part of what's wrong with cycling.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Nobody remembers Jordan for his Washington failures. It's all about his individual greatness and 5 (and 1 NCAA) championships. The Washington years were just a blip.

Same thing with LA. Nobody (except folks like us) will remember him for this year's tour failure. Of course getting convicted will change all of that.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
erader said:
i remember the armstrong interview after casartelli died. lance said he didn't really know the guy. i was a huge LA fan at the time but i thought "this isn't about YOU lance".

these days lance claims they were friends.

erader

I got the feeling that Lance doesn't really know what friendship is.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
xFrankyBx said:
Seriously even though I agree with you because he now went the road of Michael Jordan. He was a great, 7 TDF wins and now he's going to go out like Jordan did when he retired a Wizard. But Who does everyone else think they are when they make semi threatning statments like "if he knew what's good for him" or anything else simular. Fact of the matter is instead of sitting here critiquing everything every pro rider does go ride. All you "fans" are part of what's wrong with cycling.

Sorry. Go ride, which I have suggested to all the analytical haters of Armstrong is an epic fail on this forum. Much better to be a bloated LeMond or a bitter Floyd, or a Simeoni or Bassons fan.
For myself I will ride my bike and enjoy pro-cycling. The haters can complain and whine, maybe Landis will give them a reason to sit in their room and watch their bike instead of using it.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
ulrikmm said:
That would be fabulous! And you see him wheeled off towards l'Arc de Triumphe, sticking his head out between the bars in disbelief in the back of a policevan.

It would be terrible. Not because Lance was caught but because the spotlight was once again thrust onto his royal heirness face.

Cycling is not about Lance Armstrong. Silly fantasies of him being arrested on the Champs Elysees are about zealots seeking their own pleasures and fullfillment. That scenario would be all anyone talked about in the race.

Do everyone a favour and ignore him.

Talk about Contador, Schleck, Samu, Menchov and the other GC riders. Ignore Lance. He will be gone soon. Let the feds deal with him. The TdF is not Mr Texas anymore. So let him disappear into the annals of history and remain there.

flicker said:
Sorry. Go ride, which I have suggested to all the analytical haters of Armstrong is an epic fail on this forum. Much better to be a bloated LeMond or a bitter Floyd, or a Simeoni or Bassons fan.
For myself I will ride my bike and enjoy pro-cycling. The haters can complain and whine, maybe Landis will give them a reason to sit in their room and watch their bike instead of using it.
Okay, I guess I can understand the others, but what the hell did Bassons ever do to find a place in your list? Be yelled at by LA?

isayic said:
I got the feeling that Lance doesn't really know what friendship is.

who you kidding, lance has great friends.

One friendship with a domestique was so good, that I remember he once gave this friend a chance to win an alpine stage into grand bornard, pushing him on the back and saying "run like you stole something"

I believe Lance ended up winning the stage anyway, but the point is they are great friends to this day

oh wait
:cool:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
It would be terrible. Not because Lance was caught but because the spotlight was once again thrust onto his royal heirness face.

Cycling is not about Lance Armstrong. Silly fantasies of him being arrested on the Champs Elysees are about zealots seeking their own pleasures and fullfillment. That scenario would be all anyone talked about in the race.

Do everyone a favour and ignore him.

Talk about Contador, Schleck, Samu, Menchov and the other GC riders. Ignore Lance. He will be gone soon. Let the feds deal with him. The TdF is not Mr Texas anymore. So let him disappear into the annals of history and remain there.

Sorry G There are only 2 cyclists in the world; Darth(ARMSTRONG) Vader and Obi Juan(ARMSTRONG)Kenobi. Lord Armstrong rules our world.