• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance can't think for himself ? – We must have radios !

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 14, 2009
Visit site
Threshold said:
With so many riders doping during his reign at the Tour ( all of the top ten...;) )I say if he was doping he still won because he beat them at that as well...
OK, he beated many other cheaters but he CHEATED riders like Bassons !

And of course he has stolen the fame and the money of the people who deserved it.

Don't forget he trashed people who didn't believe in miracle, reporters, lab and the French in general...

That is why he is not welcome!

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
nobody said:
OK, he beated many other cheaters but he CHEATED riders like Bassons !

And of course he has stolen the fame and the money of the people who deserved it.

Don't forget he trashed people who didn't believe in miracle, reporters and the French in general...

That is why he is not welcome!

He also cheated thousands of unwell cancer patients out of EPO. The EPO he used for performance gain could have been donated to save lives. Especially in poor countries where there is no subsidies on EPO.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
@whiteboy
I recently read somewhere that EPO has no use for cancer treatment but I dont recall where so you may want to research that...
BTW I neither love nor hate LA and I have no opinion as to his guilt or innocence of cheating...
As I said it still amazes me that ppl can be so emotional about a person they have never met let alone know.

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
Amsterhammer said:
The powers that be on this forum would do well to consider just how much more pleasant and non-confrontational things could be around here, if this guy were to stop spouting s h i t all the time.

Cool your boots, will you? What would you like? That CN turns its forums into a kind of UCI-sponsored whitewash where we all stick our heads back into the sand and pretend that all is well in the sport? It's the sad fact of our sport that doping lurks around every topic like a sh**-stinking stray dog - but Bro Deal isn't to blame for that. The riders who still dope, the DSs who still let their riders dope, and the federations and authorities who turn a blind eye to it are the ones at fault.

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
You are pathetic and boring beyond words. Your venomous hatred of LA is sickening. You consistently ruin every topic you post in and make this forum a total turn-off for new people who might otherwise be inclined to stick around.

Why not just bite yourself and let the poison put an end to your evident misery?

careful, you don't want to stir up the master of insult.

Bro, ever heard of faint praise?

A

Anonymous

Mongol_Waaijer said:
Amsterhammer,

The reason that these is a lot of vitriol against Lance is that he consistently ruined every TdF he participated in and made the sport a total turn off for real fans who might otherwise be inclined to stick around.

I have raced for several years at elite amateur level in Europe and I have rarely met a rider with any respect for LA, yet I often come across uninformed "fans" who only follow the tour droning on about how wonderful he is. Most young racers are looking more to athletes we can almost dare to believe in, like EBH and Cavendish than the old heads like LA who represent an era af pharmaceutical achievements and fraud not sporting glory.

The fact is in 1999 cycling had a chance to clean up after the disgraceful events of 98 and instead LA (retrospectively) tested positive for EPO 6 times during his win in that race.

Now he is back, and already his narcissism and unrivalled ego are turning many long term cycling fans and participants away from their sport. He is the worst sort of angry alpha male, and his treatment of individuals such as Simeoni and Bassons, and any ex-teammate or staff member who doesn't tow the "Lance Legend" line is morally unacceptable. I also find his manipulation of the fight against cancer for his own legitimacy and financial gain absolutely sickening.

I have ridden hundreds of criteriums, classics and stage races in Europe, and devoted the best part of my twenties to this wonderful sport. If LA is allowed to win the TdF this year I will throw my bikes in the river, burn my license and never ride again. It means that much to me that the sport i love so much moves on from this shameful era.

Allowed? Like the fix is in?

How about a top ten? would that be close enough?

As for the Simoni thing, when Lance rode him back to the peloton he (Simoni) got an earful from everybody.

It was an extremely popular move.

Again you single out lance for doing something most riders agreed with.

What financial gain do you speak of with the lance armstrong fondation?

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
jackhammer111 said:
Allowed? Like the fix is in?
As for the Simoni thing, when Lance rode him back to the peloton he (Simoni) got an earful from everybody.

You are correct. And Lance, with a smile on his face, made his famous "zipping the lips" gesture. Ekimov is rumored to have spat on him (Simeoni). Do you understand why Simeoni was unpopular with the peloton? (No, it had nothing to do with going on a breakaway, which was left unmolested after Simeoni left).

jackhammer111 said:

Erm....as already pointed out, it's Simeoni, not Simoni.
If The peloton had, at any point, tried to give the old, two time Giro winner an earful, they would have had a mouthful, (of knuckles, probably) in return.
Mr Grumpy gives out the verbals, not the other way around. Doesn't stand fools gladly, so a few on here, would stuggle in his company.

jackhammer111 said:
That's because he was doing the Omerta shop stewarding. Bullying a guy who was publically speaking out against doping.
Easy to see why it was popular, with the peloton of the mid 2000's.

Nice diverse (or should that read perverse) thread, btw.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
You hate Lance but here you are visiting his twitter account page and going on the livestrong site as well. Seriously man, get over it.

EXACTLY.

Why is it now Lance's fault that there are radios in cycling races? Idiotic.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
The safety claim is bogus. Nearly every rider or group of riders is chaperoned during the race by a moto or car. Plus you have overhead helicopters watching the race. Radios wouldn't have saved Fabio Casartelli. If LA organizes a protest it will prove what Hinault said, "It is just a ‘Game Boy’ that has a gigolo attached at the end telling the racer when to take a ****."

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
Oh, I don't take it personally at all. ;)

I'm old enough and have been around many forums long enough to recognize certain types of posters. This particular type, the bullying, forum dominating, must make more posts than anyone else, 'I know everything better than the rest of you and even if I don't I'll baffle you with bull**** instead' character, generally invokes my pity and derision. Most forums have someone like this. However, this example appears to be a particularly nasty and rancid strain of the species.

I'm certainly not the first, last or only new poster here who has been/will be turned off to this forum and ****ed off by this tosser's constant poisonous rantings, which ruin topic after topic. The powers that be on this forum would do well to consider just how much more pleasant and non-confrontational things could be around here, if this guy were to stop spouting s h i t all the time.

And all you have done is complain about someone posting negative things about your hero. Your lack of personal insight and absence of a sense of irony are striking. You offered no real counter to anyone's point, just "poisonous rantings, which ruin topic after topic." Now, how does that make you anything but a hypocrite......oh wait, it doesn't.

As for Bro's post regarding the rider protest sponsored by Livestrong.com and the eventual "media blackout" based on someone's feewings gwetting hwort, well, it has happened before......

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
grimpeur said:
The safety claim is bogus. Nearly every rider or group of riders is chaperoned during the race by a moto or car. Plus you have overhead helicopters watching the race. Radios wouldn't have saved Fabio Casartelli. If LA organizes a protest it will prove what Hinault said, "It is just a ‘Game Boy’ that has a gigolo attached at the end telling the racer when to take a ****."

Guaranteed if LA was quoted as being AGAINST radios, then all the haters would knee-jerk to advocating their necessity for safety reasons...
Radios or no radios, they still have to RIDE! (Hinault should tell us what he really thinks!)
Can't wait for July 4th!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
greenjersey said:
Guaranteed if LA was quoted as being AGAINST radios, then all the haters would knee-jerk to advocating their necessity for safety reasons...
Radios or no radios, they still have to RIDE! (Hinault should tell us what he really thinks!)
Can't wait for July 4th!

+1

Prejudice galore!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
And all you have done is complain about someone posting negative things about your hero. Your lack of personal insight and absence of a sense of irony are striking. You offered no real counter to anyone's point, just "poisonous rantings, which ruin topic after topic." Now, how does that make you anything but a hypocrite......oh wait, it doesn't.

As for Bro's post regarding the rider protest sponsored by Livestrong.com and the eventual "media blackout" based on someone's feewings gwetting hwort, well, it has happened before......

Oh, you're next then?

No, I complained about the bitter, twisted, sweeping attacks made on a rider I have much time for and have enjoyed watching for many years. If said poster uses irony or humor, you're welcome to point it out. All I see is an inflated ego that sanctimoniously preaches from on high.

How do you counter blanket, sweeping accusations about everything under the sun? Repeat rants often enough and some people will believe them, huh? Lance is responsible for this, Lance is responsible for that, Lance has always been the super-doper who gets away with it where others don't. The lot of you haters here do nothing except hurl accusations that you can never prove. Of course, there were six (was it?) positive samples of his, but being Lance, he had the entire cycling establishment as well as the Tour organization (who have always been his good buddies, right?) in his pocket, with the result that he was never prosecuted, sanctioned or banned for any of the offenses that you lot here consistently accuse him of.

Show me the evidence. Show the world the evidence. Prove one single accusation with hard, undisputed, proven facts instead of cynically accusing the man of every crime under the sun with sweeping generalizations that reek of bitterness and envy.

A

Anonymous

whiteboytrash said:
He also cheated thousands of unwell cancer patients out of EPO. The EPO he used for performance gain could have been donated to save lives. Especially in poor countries where there is no subsidies on EPO.

that's funny.. really funny.

On of the most stupid things to ever come out of a Lance haters mouth.

Obession beyond reason.

This is what the guy is up against.

I really hope he does win it now.

Threshold said:
@whiteboy
I recently read somewhere that EPO has no use for cancer treatment but I dont recall where so you may want to research that....
Not exactly. It doesn't help fight cancer, but it can tremendously help recovery during chemo, or post surgery. My mother in law is in chemo, and it's used to help built her red blood cells back up. Lance even talks about it in his book, saying it helped saved his life.

Heard somewhere that TV's are going to be banned from team cars for the entire Tour, and that this is based on some sort of French law. Can anyone verify?

I find it interesting that every year this time Lance fans come out of the woodwork and start posting.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I find it interesting that every year this time Lance fans come out of the woodwork and start posting.

Referred to, in some circles as the 3 Week Fan. Only come out of hibernation in July, but they know everything there is to know about the sport.

greenjersey said:
Can't wait for July 4th!

More rubbish.
Most people who advocate the return to racing without radio's do so, in the hope it will generate less predictable, perhaps more attacking riding.
Of course, this is an experiment within the modern peloton and may improve nothing. We shall see.

If Lance came out against race radios, I'd say, chapeau! but he's never going to do that is he?
Trains need schedules to run effectively.
Could have been worse. They might have decided to dump the team time trial.

Anyhow, it seemed to liven up the opening stage of the Tour of Cali, when they had a communication problem.

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
Erm....as already pointed out, it's Simeoni, not Simoni.
If The peloton had, at any point, tried to give the old, two time Giro winner an earful, they would have had a mouthful, (of knuckles, probably) in return.
Mr Grumpy gives out the verbals, not the other way around. Doesn't stand fools gladly, so a few on here, would stuggle in his company.

That's because he was doing the Omerta shop stewarding. Bullying a guy who was publically speaking out against doping.
Easy to see why it was popular, with the peloton of the mid 2000's.

Nice diverse (or should that read perverse) thread, btw.

anybody have the race on tape or dvd?

my recollection is that when simeoni was absorbed back you could see several riders having words for him.

you don't get to re write history.

are you holding simeoni up as some saint?

quoting the cyclingnews recap of the race.

"Once back in the bunch, Simeoni got some verbal abuse from Italian riders and went to hide at the back of the peloton, while Armstrong was applauded by many riders and made the cryptic sign of a zipper across his lips".

and lance is quoted post race:

" "The story of Simeoni is not a fair story...there's a long history there. All (journalists) want to write about is parts of the story. It's a long history...a guy like (Simeoni), all he wants to do is to destroy cycling...and for me, that's not correct. And I when I went back to the group they said 'chapeau'...thank you very much. Because they understand that (cycling) is their job and that they absolutely love it and they're committed to it and don't want somebody within their sport destroying it. So...for me it's no problem to go on the wheel, to follow the wheel."

I know of no rider that disagreed with that at the time.

if you condemn lance for this you pretty much have to condemn they whole group, you own favorites as well.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
jackhammer111 said:
I know of no rider that disagreed with that at the time.

if you condemn lance for this you pretty much have to condemn they whole group, you own favorites as well.

Bassons...

Simeoni was not a saint but when he has to help Justice, he did. You cannot comdemn for that like did Armstrong who was unhappy that Simeoni testified against his drug preparator Dr. Ferrari !

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
Amsterhammer,

The reason that these is a lot of vitriol against Lance is that he consistently ruined every TdF he participated in and made the sport a total turn off for real fans who might otherwise be inclined to stick around.

What an insane thing to say. Laughable. Maybe he 'ruined' your enjoyment of the Tour, but I can tell you for a fact that millions of fake fans like me enjoyed watching him. Don't assume or presume that your particular view is the only 'correct' one for 'real' fans. Where do you get off determining who is a real fan and who isn't?

Mongol_Waaijer said:
I have raced for several years at elite amateur level in Europe and I have rarely met a rider with any respect for LA, yet I often come across uninformed "fans" who only follow the tour droning on about how wonderful he is. Most young racers are looking more to athletes we can almost dare to believe in, like EBH and Cavendish than the old heads like LA who represent an era af pharmaceutical achievements and fraud not sporting glory.

The fact is in 1999 cycling had a chance to clean up after the disgraceful events of 98 and instead LA (retrospectively) tested positive for EPO 6 times during his win in that race.

Good for you. But don't project your view and your opinion as being fact and then denigrate anyone who doesn't share that opinion.

Mongol_Waaijer said:
Now he is back, and already his narcissism and unrivalled ego are turning many long term cycling fans and participants away from their sport. He is the worst sort of angry alpha male, and his treatment of individuals such as Simeoni and Bassons, and any ex-teammate or staff member who doesn't tow the "Lance Legend" line is morally unacceptable. I also find his manipulation of the fight against cancer for his own legitimacy and financial gain absolutely sickening.

Your personal opinion, not fact. His 'unrivaled ego' is one of the reasons he was able to win seven Tours. Show me some evidence, any evidence whatsoever, that LA has enriched himself from monies donated to the fight against cancer. If you can't, shut the **** up!

Mongol_Waaijer said:
I have ridden hundreds of criteriums, classics and stage races in Europe, and devoted the best part of my twenties to this wonderful sport. If LA is allowed to win the TdF this year I will throw my bikes in the river, burn my license and never ride again. It means that much to me that the sport i love so much moves on from this shameful era.

Well good for you. You have an opinion and you are entitled to it. I am entitled to express my opinion too. This is meant to be a forum - on the internet - where even a poor old fake fan like me is allowed to express his views. The main problem with you people (the rabid LA haters) is that you are totally unable to distinguish between what is your opinion, and what is a proven fact. Oh, I keep forgetting - LA 'got away' with being doped all these years because he's a cycling Godfather, whose will is, and always has been law, and who had, and still has, the entire cycling establishment in his pocket, which is why he has never been found guilty. And of course, he has always had access to, and used the best undetectable dope known to science.:rolleyes:

If you can't take a more laid back view of everything dirty that goes on in this sport you may as well jump in after your bikes, though that would be a great waste of a young life.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
greenjersey said:
Can't wait for July 4th!
BS... I was against radios long before I spoke a negative word about LA.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Heard somewhere that TV's are going to be banned from team cars for the entire Tour, and that this is based on some sort of French law. Can anyone verify?
Certainly the laws in France are strict as to what you can do while driving. They want both hands on the wheel. TVs are a distraction and I'll bet if you had to follow the laws of the road in the Tour they'd be illegal. It's one of the reasons you can find reststops about every 5 miles on the autoroutes in France. They only want you driving while operating a motor vehicle.

TRENDING THREADS