• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance for Milan San Remo Honours???

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,
I hear Lance Armstrong was out riding the Cipressa and the Poggio the other day. Do ye think he is planning an attack for victory? Would'nt it be some return to Europe for him. By the way, Alberto Contador looked very strong to take the jersey in Paris Nice today. Interesting times ahead, i'm sure!!!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Seriously? No. Sure, Lance is a talented bike rider, but this is as silly as that other guy who was suggesting Lance might win Paris-Roubaix.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what Lance is up to be honest, but on the other matter Contador looks in super form!!, flew away from some genuine talent that last climb.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
He needs some results to build his ego again other than multiple TDF. After all some geek went and won all three tours -- can't allow a threat like that.
So it all depends on whether he takes whatever he reckons he can take. Maybe depends on whether Condandor gets busted or not.
He will reckon on most of the field being cleanish so makes it easier for him.
Cynic yes realist probably.
Probably applies to most of the coming season. Bit sad really, had been looking forward to it. I'll still follow it all and hope the passport thing will work for most riders most of the time. Try and guess who is clean, that's a fun aspect.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
What is it, something like 13 of the last 15 Milano-San Remo winners have done Tirreno-Adriatico?

Not only has he not done this race, he has hardly raced this year. It would be against the odds to see him in the top-10 over the Poggio.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
He actually appears better suited to winning a classic these days than a Grand Tour, but I agree... not enough racing miles in his legs, and frankly, RVV is probably a better fit for him. MSR is not selective enough to shed the beastly sprinters.

A

Anonymous

Jamsque said:
Seriously? No. Sure, Lance is a talented bike rider, but this is as silly as that other guy who was suggesting Lance might win Paris-Roubaix.

That was me, and it was a joke. I posted it in response to someone who had the "What am I on, blah, blah, blah" quote from Mr Armstrong. I am well aware that LA couldn't win that race.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I doubt that it is an objective for Lance, I don't understand why this is such a ridiculous prospect?

If Cancellara can win both the Paris-Roubaix and the Milan-San Remo, I don't see why Lance couldn't have done it in the past.

However, I would still be exceptionally suprised if Lance tries to win anything but a stage race.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Tom Morris said:
Lance can do it. He can sprint when he wants to. We saw that with his surprise victory in the Tour of Georgia.

I don't think so, European classics are a little bit different to stage finishes at Tour of Geogia...

A

Anonymous

lookkg386 said:
I don't think so, European classics are a little bit different to stage finishes at Tour of Geogia...

...just a bit....