• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance gonna ride alone

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
team Shack for '10

no Andy (staying @ Saxo... especially after what he saw during the Tour)

no George (BMC.. after Astana and Yellowgate

no Levi (BMC.. doesn't want to be "bottle" for LA

LA better start Twitting that the Pistolero should join him..

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well, to be fair Levi's comments on VN were pretty non-committal. He is smart enough to know where the bread is buttered, and he'll get some chances to go for stage race wins with the Shack, just not in France. And George, face it he is plenty capable of helping any team at the Tour, just not as a leader. Andy's blog was more interesting, he left it pretty open for 2011. Of course that is exactly what his agent would want him to say.

A

Anonymous

im not sure we needed another shack thread...

but as its here...

there are plenty of riders would walk over hot coals to ride for probably the best DS of the last 10 years... they will have a full team.. fear not..

now anyone wanna merge this thread with the other shack ones, or the transfer one?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Wow I've never actually read a whole page of anybodys tweets (is that the right word) before. It seems really sort of innane.
8:00 not doing anything right now
10:00 still nothing
11:00 brushing teeth now

I have to agree. Twitter seems pretty stupid to me.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Wow I've never actually read a whole page of anybodys tweets (is that the right word) before. It seems really sort of innane.

Have you ever taken a passing interest in an attractive female that wasn't very intelligent?

Once you show up "on their radar" you become part of the lucky few that get pointless texts emails and calls talking about literally nothing. Until she realises you just actually want to bang her not talk to her - but that's another matter. Those tweets remind me a lot like that. Males tweeting is just strange and unmanly. What would John Wayne say?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
cromagnon said:
Have you ever taken a passing interest in an attractive female that wasn't very intelligent?

Once you show up "on their radar" you become part of the lucky few that get pointless texts emails and calls talking about literally nothing. Until she realises you just actually want to bang her not talk to her - but that's another matter. Those tweets remind me a lot like that. Males tweeting is just strange and unmanly. What would John Wayne say?

John Wayne would just punch you in the face with one of his "ham" sized fists!!

cromagnon said:

Once you show up "on their radar" you become part of the lucky few that get pointless texts emails and calls talking about literally nothing. Until she realises you just actually want to bang her not talk to her - but that's another matter.

This is not just limited to the attractive and /or the unintelligent. They should have a little slip of paper taped to the palm of their hand that they must read every time a male communicates with her....."He really just wants to ---k you"

Sadly, this probably wouldn't clear things up for them.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:

Is there any truth to the rumour that the only reason they called it Twit-ter is because Moron-er just doesn't roll off the tongue as well ....?? :)

A research note written by a 15-year-old Morgan Stanley intern that described his friends' media habits has generated a flurry of interest from media executives and investors.

The US investment bank's European media analysts asked Matthew Robson, an intern from a London school, to write a report on teenagers' likes and dislikes, which made the Financial Times' front page today.

His report, that dismissed Twitter and described online advertising as pointless, proved to be "one of the clearest and most thought-provoking insights we have seen – so we published it", said Edward Hill-Wood, executive director of Morgan Stanley's European media team.

"We've had dozens and dozens of fund managers, and several CEOs, e-mailing and calling all day." He said the note had generated five or six times more responses than the team's usual research.

His colleague, Julien Rossi, added: "It's an interesting starting point for debate."

The rapid surge of interest in social networking and messaging sites has prompted speculation that sites such as Twitter or Facebook could be taken over. But Robson's report, which was sent to Morgan Stanley's clients as a research note last Friday, suggested that such a move could be folly. He said teenagers were using more and more media, but they were unwilling to pay for it.

"Teenagers do not use Twitter," he wrote. "Most have signed up to the service, but then just leave it as they realise that they are not going to update it (mostly because texting Twitter uses up credit, and they would rather text friends with that credit). They realise that no one is viewing their profile, so their tweets are pointless."

He warned that traditional media – television, radio and newspapers – are losing ground.

No teenager Robson knew reads a newspaper regularly since most "cannot be bothered to read pages and pages of text while they could watch the news summarised on the internet or on TV". The only newspapers that are read are the cheaper tabloids and freesheets.

His peers are also put off by intrusive advertising so they prefer listening to advert-free music on websites such as Last.fm to traditional radio. Teens see adverts on websites - pop ups, banner ads - as "extremely annoying and pointless," Robson said. However, "most teenagers enjoy and support viral marketing, as often it creates humorous and interesting content".

He stressed that his peers were "very reluctant" to pay for music and most had never bought a CD, with a large majority downloading songs illegally from filesharing sites.

When interviewed at the event, Murdoch appeared to rule out making a bid for the micro-blogging site Twitter. Asked if he was considering buying Twitter, Murdoch said, "No." Asked about selling MySpace, he replied, "Hell no."

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
kiwirider said:
Is there any truth to the rumour that the only reason they called it Twit-ter is because Moron-er just doesn't roll off the tongue as well ....?? :)

EXCELLENT !!!! - this is the BEST comment seen so faar today !!!!

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
give twitter a chance! once you have had the thrill of tweeting something like "just took massive ****...close to a foot long, dont know if the ole plunger will work for this one!" to your 3 followers you will understand the joy. :p

Hugh Januss said:
Everybody complains about another Lance thread, but nobody can stay away.
I think this is actually the first time I've posted in one of these "Lance" threads in some time. At least since the Giro.

Anyway, surprising to see Paulinho join him, and Azevedo come out of retirement. Will he still have it?

If Oracle signs on to BMC, that should be plenty of money. Probably .000000001% of their budget could pay for the entire team. I hope to think that if the money is there, Levi will sign on as a GT team leader. 2010 may be his last chance to win a GT. And even then, he's going to have to get the right course, and focus his season on it. And it probably won't be the Tour. And, if he rides the ToC, he won't be riding the Giro. Still, he needs to step up to the front, and not ride behind/with Lance, Berti, or anyone else. It's his last chance I think.

Twitter sucks. I just can't see it sticking around as big as it is. Next thing you read is going to be people like Lance tweeting about wiping their ass.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I think this is actually the first time I've posted in one of these "Lance" threads in some time. At least since the Giro.

Anyway, surprising to see Paulinho join him, and Azevedo come out of retirement. Will he still have it?

You're confused. Azevedo will be a director sportif, not a rider.

Hugh Januss said:
Everybody complains about another Lance thread, but nobody can stay away.

Look, unless we can get a decent video feed of races, it's real tough for me to get too excited. So this is the next best thing.

As for the Lance thread. No one is forcing them to join in, but I certainly have to respect that this is what occupies people's thoughts that are participating. I suppose he can start a thread on spoke gauge thickness.

Ya gotta go where the emotions are, and Lance is our little diva. For better or worse.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

If Oracle signs on to BMC, that should be plenty of money. Probably .000000001% of their budget could pay for the entire team. I hope to think that if the money is there, Levi will sign on as a GT team leader. 2010 may be his last chance to win a GT. And even then, he's going to have to get the right course, and focus his season on it. And it probably won't be the Tour. And, if he rides the ToC, he won't be riding the Giro. Still, he needs to step up to the front, and not ride behind/with Lance, Berti, or anyone else. It's his last chance I think.

Twitter sucks. I just can't see it sticking around as big as it is. Next thing you read is going to be people like Lance tweeting about wiping their ass.

I understand your perspective re Twitter--I think partly depends on how it's used. Yes there is a certain amt of self-indulgent nonsense to skim through, but I find it helpful to have a lot of info coming into one place, and, for me, there are enough useful comments, links, and news updates to make it worth my while. I guess it depends on who you choose to follow.