• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance the anti-doping crusader?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 5, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
If that still makes me a "hater" in your eyes, or in the eyes of Lance fans, then I give up.

The "haters" are the people here who go out of their way at every step, to insult, to belittle, and to take shots at LA, JB, etc.

Thanks for your response. It was one of the only reasonable, non hateful responses I have gotten around here. While I may disagree on some points, I at least respect your opinion.

colwildcat said:
Are you really suggesting that there is some vast conspiracy to hide results from his drug tests? Jesus, you people really are humorous. What about every other testing agency that tests riders?
WADA.
Lance Armstrong didn't like his president. Do you know why? Doping issues. D!ck Pound (ex-president, but active during Armstrong Tour wins) used to be very critical of Armstrong position on the Omerta and doping in cycling.

Check this link. It will give you a brief summary about the clash between Pound and Armstrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_Pound

Try replacing the 4 asteriscks with the word D!ck. It is sensored in this forum.
So, Lance is doping. Contador beat him. Ergo, Contador must be doping.
Most Likely.

Great, you should all hate him as well as he denies it. And, he's not an anti-doping crusader. So, there's nobody in the sport worth following. So, you should all stop following cycling.
I am from Colombia and I must tell you that I don't care about the Lance Armstrong hate. But what I have concluded from this forum is that the hate comes from his attitude, but not for doping. because a lot of the riders dope also. But some of them have different attitude about it. Don't ask which attitude because they are all different.

Hey, the Giants are no hitting the Padres tonight. That pitcher must be using steroids. I'll wait for his post game press conference to see if he comes out and condemns steroids. If not, I'll assume he's dirty.
Hey, if I am a clean pitcher, why shouldn't I condemn doping. I am being cheated, don't you think. To respond your question check the interviews that Curt Schilling has given about it. He is very vocal about it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hey, almost everybody has been touched by a cancer death of a loved one. I lost my best friend couple of years ago. He used to love Lance Armstrong a lot. Which is fine. I got sick by this loss. Now I am doing fine and living a happy life. But all this does not mean that he did not dope in cycling or give him a free pass to behave arrogantly at times. It sounds like people are trying to give him a free pass on doping and bad attitude just because he created the Livestrong foundation and he survived Cancer. To me those are two different issues. I don't even want to talk about it because there are a million posts in this Forum on this topic.
Thanks.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Even if he were riding 100% clean, Lance obviously decided years ago that to loudly condemn guys he shared the road with in the TdF mini-economy was not going to further his or the sports' interests.

In itself that's not such a morally bankrupt attitude, at least in my books. It's realistic and shows some loyalty to his colleagues.

Reformed dopers coming back to the peloton loudly condemning other guys being caught on the other hand...

Alpe d'Huez said:
If that still makes me a "hater" in your eyes, or in the eyes of Lance fans, then I give up.

On this note, I have to say I disliked Armstrong from the moment I saw him at the CoreStates USPro Champs in Philly in 93, as he had this disagreeable air about his persona. Don't know, it was just a first impression thing like, hum, this guy seems full of himself and can probably be nasty for unacceptable reasons.

Having said that when he came back after cancer, I was naturally pleased that he won his first Tour, just at the human level. But as time passed, it became increasingly apparant that my first impression of him was not misguided and that was when I started to really dislike the man.

But what really got to me, apart from his continued getting away with murder, while so many of his rivals and ex-teamates had taken the fall, was the Simeoni affair. From that moment, my dislike of Armstrong turned into outright aversion. It's one thing to be arrogant, for which I found him disagreeable, entirely another to be a bully and corrupt, the latter owing to his enforcing the omertà.

The last two aspects of the cyclist Armstrong, but also Armstrong the man, have for me made all the supposed good he is doing for the cancer comunity appear as vapid ideology. And as I have mentioned before, the Livestrong foundation, which has been only rated a lousy 3 (the lowest) on the non-profit org. quality scale by the reputable monitoring agency, is mostly about bolstering the public image of Lance, than it is in helping the sick.

Actually, there is one thing that Lance could do to show that he's anti-doping, and in favor of a clean sport. And it wouldn't require grandstanding, it wouldn't require large donations, it wouldn't require more testing. It wouldn't require more interviews and press conferences. He could just join BikePure. He wouldn't even need to make a statement on it, just sign their honour code. People would find out, and I would imagine, be very supportive of him doing so.

Myles and Andy aren't political crusaders, they aren't trying to replace anyone, or "out" anyone. They're just offering a great safe haven for riders, and supporters, and fans too, trying to get our sport clean.

There's really no reason for any rider who's against doping at all to not join as I see it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
yourwelcome said:
Even if he were riding 100% clean, Lance obviously decided years ago that to loudly condemn guys he shared the road with in the TdF mini-economy was not going to further his or the sports' interests.

In itself that's not such a morally bankrupt attitude, at least in my books. It's realistic and shows some loyalty to his colleagues.

Reformed dopers coming back to the peloton loudly condemning other guys being caught on the other hand...

this attitude is the Omerta, the Code of Silence (different from the Cone...)
If he truly does love cycling isn't the best course to try to clean it up?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
colwildcat said:
The "haters" are the people here who go out of their way at every step, to insult, to belittle, and to take shots at LA, JB, etc.

Thanks for your response. It was one of the only reasonable, non hateful responses I have gotten around here. While I may disagree on some points, I at least respect your opinion.

How can I hate Lance? i don't even know him! I don't like his arrogance or his lack of grace in his need to crush his opponents and dishonour them. I don't like his silence on doping in the sport, and his implausible denials on his own likely doping. I don't hate him, why and how could I?

TRENDING THREADS