• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance the Bully

A

Anonymous

Over the years there have been numerous instances where Lance has demonstrated character not widely admired (except the for most ardent of fans).

Consider this thread as documentation of Lance the Bully.

I'll start:

To Paul Kimmage.... "you're not worth the chair you're sitting on"... and "I don't know if I'll ever forgive you" all in the same clip. ToC presser, 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZgns7CXeUI

Who can forget chasing down Simeoni?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taWGQNKUgQQ

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Christophe Bassons 1999 TdF.

Bassons said Armstrong rode up alongside on the Alpe d'Huez stage to tell him "it was a mistake to speak out the way I do and he asked why I was doing it. I told him that I'm thinking of the next generation of riders. Then he said 'Why don't you leave, then?'"[6] Armstrong confirmed the story. On the main evening news on TF1, a national television station, Armstrong said: "His accusations aren't good for cycling, for his team, for me, for anybody. If he thinks cycling works like that, he's wrong and he would be better off going home."

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Ugg, didn't he call Betsy fat & ugly ? (she is definately neither)

Getting in Tyler Hamilton's face in Cache Cache in Aspen

Going after Lemond when he was only "disappointed"

Heckling Contador on many occasions around comeback time.

His current attack on USADA (go after the messenger)

Tom Crusie/Scientology style Lawsuit in Britain (?)

Others can fill in those details better than I.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Bill Mitchell, the founder of Cyclingnews. When all he did was report on the questions the French press were asking about doping he was relentless harassed by loyal Armstrong groupies. He was called at home in Australia all night long and his employeer was besieged by people demanding he be fired. He wrote about it here

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jul99/jul23.shtml
In recent days, a number of American readers have written abusive emails to me because I have tried to present the diversity of views about the allegations of doping by Tour leader Lance Armstrong. I have not given my own view on the European press approach. But I do think it is part of a free society to allow all views to be expressed. Then we can (as adults) make up our own minds on the balance of information. That is what freedom is all about. For those who want to censor views because they don't agree with them think about that.

T make the harassment stop he sold the site for almost nothing to Gerard Knapp, who put a lot into growing it dramatically. It was sold a few years later for $5,000,000

in his parting letter Bill wrote

I also received a lot of antagonism for daring to have an opinion - mostly from US readers. I could not understand why people (only a small minority), who grew up in the so-called land of freedom were so intent on repressing free speech. After all it was your choice to click the link and there was no charge for doing so. But still I received many threatening and nasty E-mails on a regular basis. My employer (the University) was harassed. And lately these nasty types have been trying to encourage my sponsors to stop supporting the site. I guess these types wear white hoods around the place at times too. It made me understand how McCarthyism thrived in the USA. Lucky I live in a free society I thought.

The tactic of enlisting his loyal, rapid groupies to harass anyone who questions the myth was repeated over and over.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Sad story. I thought Bassons, Andreus, Kimmage, Lemond, Simeoni, Anderson, Landis, Hamilton, Contador in 2009, Ullrich (countless insults in german press), Pantani (did i forgot some popular victims) were the bigest victims. Now i include Mitchell.

God, i hope this guy falls deep. He shall die a lonesome poor slow painful death. Yes, i hate him. :mad:

I see a pattern. Lance bullies on responsible, stable folks who can control themselves very well. With such bulliness, you're bound to walk into a fist once in a while. Yet he doesn't. Isn't it amazing what he gets away with, I mean without hard personal retaliation, in a violent country such as the US, and a hostile environment such as Europe?
Although on second though in his last Tour it was really other riders dumping their banana peels in front of his bike on purpose all the time.

A

Anonymous

For posterity's sake, this may very well be the last time Lance truly had swagger;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6gE4bSDI4

The next day he looked like this;

images

A

Anonymous

Cloxxki said:
I see a pattern. Lance bullies on responsible, stable folks who can control themselves very well. With such bulliness, you're bound to walk into a fist once in a while. Yet he doesn't. Isn't it amazing what he gets away with, I mean without hard personal retaliation, in a violent country such as the US, and a hostile environment such as Europe?
Although on second though in his last Tour it was really other riders dumping their banana peels in front of his bike on purpose all the time.

Wrapping himself in a cancer charity has allowed him to get away with much more than what you might expect in a normal circumstance.

But there's no question he's been, at least somewhat, humbled. My guess is he's going to suffer a few body blows on his way down.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Sad story. I thought Bassons, Andreus, Kimmage, Lemond, Simeoni, Anderson, Landis, Hamilton, Contador in 2009, Ullrich (countless insults in german press), Pantani (did i forgot some popular victims) were the bigest victims. Now i include Mitchell.

God, i hope this guy falls deep. He shall die a lonesome poor slow painful death. Yes, i hate him. :mad:

blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What was the name of that British guy he got his twitter followers to harrass for daring to ask him on twitter about doping?

(No it wasn't Kimmage!!)

Does 'bullying' include witness intimidation/tampering?

From Lance's SCA Deposition

Betsy - Travels all the way to Detroit and sits in on Betsy's deposition at the Airport Marriott:

"Q. Okay. I want to go back and ask you some questions now, moving off the 2004 Tour de France. You attended the deposition of Ms. Betsy Andreu, did you not?

A. Correct"

Frankie - calls him up before his deposition to ask him about the Hospital incident and about the depositions of other witnesses:

"Q. Now, prior to -- to Mr. Andreu's deposition, you did -- you did call him, did you not?

A. I -- yes.

Q. Did you actually speak to him?

A. Yes.

Q. What was your reason for calling him?

A. Well, I think I called because – because we -- because Cathy LeMond had done her deposition, and had all kinds of crazy things to say, which were news to us.

Q. Any other reason you called him?

A. Other than to say hello, no."

Stephanie:

"Q. Okay. Did you speak with Stephanie McIlvain before her deposition?

A. Yes.

Q. Okay. When did you talk to her?

A. I don't recall. "

Dave.

nighttrain said:
I recall Robbie McEwen not taking any sh*t from LA. I don't see how a grown man gets "bullied", though.

How about Frankie not being allowed to interview any Disco riders (let alone the black list itself)? Maybe only California has laws that bar restraint-of-trade.

Then, the complete, and transparent, about-face with Frankie during the Hope is Lost return, when he was the only commentator allowed to have access to his highness.

While we are on Frankie and the Lance/Johann bullying, how about the constant undermining of Frankie's attempts to be employed as a DS?

Dave.

On truthfullness and recklessness, and thus bullying, the following SCA Deposition extract also appears to belong here:

"Q. Okay. And then you vaguely recall perhaps other people being there like Mr. Stapleton, John Korioth, and perhaps your -- your mother or --

A. I was never in the hospital without Bill Stapleton, my mother, and Jim Ochowicz, ever, in any room. It would be impossible to be anywhere in that hospital without them.

Q. Okay. Now, you were -- before your counsel wisely interrupted you..."

Upon close inspection, this is one of the more fascinating interchanges in Lance's SCA deposition.

This isn't a casual conversation. Lance is under oath, yet shows no restraint.

While many have joked about Lance's oedipal tendencies, it is just not possible that Bill Stapleton, his mother, and Jim Ochowicz - not one or the other - all shared his hospital bed let alone the bathroom, the Operating Room, etc. with Lance all the time. It is an amazingly gross overstatement.

His impossibility is impossible.

This interchange demonstrates his arrogance and outright deceipt as it is one of the more obvious outright lies in the deposition. Thus, he is arguably bullying Mr. Tillotson here.

During this interchange, he was even interrupted by his own lawyers. Thus, this dialog helps provide insight into his true character and how is evasive responses should be interpreted.

Dave.

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I remember last year Lance's Livewrong Twitter thugs threatening (lol) to sue RaceRadio the guys name was Jamie Lindsay. Also not sure if it was the same guy someone created an identity called antiraceradio on twitter. JiveWrong thugs ....er wanna be thugs giving praise to Lance for surviving cancer, and not to the docs who actually saved their lives.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Houndbike said:
What was the name of that British guy he got his twitter followers to harrass for daring to ask him on twitter about doping?

(No it wasn't Kimmage!!)

I had forgotten about that. He revealed the guy's email address at least twice in a video he posted to the web. All but begging his fanatics to harass the guy. All because he f*ed up and released his personal email address in a tweet or something and the guy sent him some unflattering, but private, emails. What a knob move that was. No class.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
One funny thing underlying this thread is that a few of the most hate-filled LA persecutors on this forum display much of the same alpha male bully mentality they despise LA for. Harassing through Twitter accounts, etc.

I'm not talking Race Radio for instance, but there's been some pretty ugly stuff that just looks like bully A picking a fight with bully B.

yourwelcome said:
One funny thing underlying this thread is that a few of the most hate-filled LA persecutors on this forum display much of the same alpha male bully mentality they despise LA for. Harassing through Twitter accounts, etc.

I'm not talking Race Radio for instance, but there's been some pretty ugly stuff that just looks like bully A picking a fight with bully B.

I have made three posts here (now four), and now represent almost 15% of the total content thus far.

Yet, I have never once made a Tweet about cycling.

Please support your postulation with some facts. I do.

Dave.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
MD said:
I remember last year Lance's Livewrong Twitter thugs threatening (lol) to sue RaceRadio the guys name was Jamie Lindsay. Also not sure if it was the same guy someone created an identity called antiraceradio on twitter. JiveWrong thugs ....er wanna be thugs giving praise to Lance for surviving cancer, and not to the docs who actually saved their lives.

Yeah, that was odd. The Antiraceradio guy is actually a nice guy who likes Livestrong but is not a fan of Lance. Some of the others are a bit more unbalanced.

I have to laugh when Lance and Johan put where I live on Twitter. The fact that they paid for my identity then send it out to their buddies to do their harassment only confirms their reputations as bullies.

If anyone is ever in SoCal, or France/Italy in the summers, Let me know we can go for a ride.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Anyone that knows anything about these foundations, charities that are run by celebs ie. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, will know that first and foremost Lance's cancer foundation is a tax haven for him. The tax laws around these are very complex. Easy to manipulate. Bono (U2) only spent 1% of one of his charities on it's true purpose.

Armstrong is a bully. Remember during his comeback some guy yelled out something about him being a doper and he says "Come and say that to my face". What a dude. the cancer was back within the peloton all right.

TRENDING THREADS