• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance to race the Tour Down Under in 2010

May 6, 2009
Visit site
The Shack to debut in Australia next January

Having made his first Australian racing appearance at the Tour Down Under in Jaunary this year, Lance Armstrong will return to the South Australian capital, Adelaide, in 2010 as leader of the fledgling RadioShack team in its debut event.

"Announced this am in Dublin w/ @premieremikerann that I'm racing the tour down under again. First race for @teamradioshack," said Armstrong via Twitter.

Armstrong kicked off his professional racing comeback in the ProTour's opening round in Jaunary this year, attracting an unprecedented number of fans to Australia's premier cycling event and establishing close relations with the state's leader, Mike Rann.

He'll again be competing at the Tour Down Under, to be held January 17-24 next year. Premier Rann released a statement announcing the return of the American to Australian shores after he had met with the seven-time Tour de France champion in Dublin shortly after the Tour of Ireland, where Armstrong had been racing.

Today he is possibly Australia's happiest politician, having again secured the services of the biggest drawcard in world cycling to his state. "I'm delighted to announce that Lance Armstrong will be back in Adelaide to race in next year's Tour Down Under," said Rann.

"In another coup for South Australia, this will be the first time Lance's new team, Team RadioShack, will compete anywhere in the world.

"I've been in regular contact with Lance and his management since he made his world cycling comeback in Adelaide at the 2009 Tour Down Under. He really enjoyed his time in South Australia and has told me how much he appreciated the massive support he received from the thousands of cycling fans during the race and from the communities supporting the launch of his global cancer campaign."

The news of Armstrong's return comes on the same day Australian mining company Santos became naming rights sponsor for the Tour Down Under. This follows the exit of wine producer Jacob's Creek several years ago, the company that had held its position of title sponsor since the event's inception in 1999.

Santos has signed a four-year deal and the race will now be known as the Santos Tour Down Under. "The Santos Tour Down Under is a world-class sporting event and we are pleased to support an event that provides substantial economic and community benefits for South Australia," said Santos Chief Executive Officer David Knox.

"The event is deserving of a major partner and we are confident this partnership will help to strengthen the standing of the Santos Tour for years to come," Knox added.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-returns-down-under

So how much is the 'Appearance fee/Donation' this time?

I must admit he is good for publicity of the Santos Tour Down Under but the question i must ask is:

How much did cycling in Australia benefit after the Tour Down under finished???

Sure riding a bike became popular for one week in january and it seemed as though cycling was finally accepted by the general public but after that things went back to the status quo with only 'lycra freaks' still cycling.

I guess what i'm getting at is cycling Australia needs to use the lance boost to help promote itself and get the word out about the many benefits of it.

It also does make me wonder what sort of fee lance will get. Did The Tour Down Under management outbid Qatar for his appearance?

Just a thought but since lance will earn a salary next year will he stop charging appearance fees?

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
It has made no effect on the acceptance of cycling in Adelaide. The roads here are more dangerous than ever and cyclists are further marginalised everyday. 6 of my friends have been hit by cars this week.

Everything that CSA has done recently has made me think that they are total plebs and Mike Rann is an attention *****.

Man, I am grumpy.......

May 6, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
I must admit he is good for publicity of the Santos Tour Down Under but the question i must ask is:

How much did cycling in Australia benefit after the Tour Down under finished???

Sure riding a bike became popular for one week in january and it seemed as though cycling was finally accepted by the general public but after that things went back to the status quo with only 'lycra freaks' still cycling.

I guess what i'm getting at is cycling Australia needs to use the lance boost to help promote itself and get the word out about the many benefits of it.

It also does make me wonder what sort of fee lance will get. Did The Tour Down Under management outbid Qatar for his appearance?

Just a thought but since lance will earn a salary next year will he stop charging appearance fees?

But Qatar has Eddie Merckx and everybody knows how close Eddie's son Axel is with Lance.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Maybe some of you 'seasoned' professionals can help out here as I still don't get it !!

LA and the Shack decided to start a team and at this point have NO license.

So, getting invited to a race is good enough for entry just because you so happen to have won 7 TdF's in the past?

I guess my point is what is the criteria to get into races other than ProT events? Invitation because of previous record?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
So what!!

Who cares...that is next year...lets talk Vuelta or something that is happening on the bike. LA this and LA that...big freaking deal!! Most of the guys on that team are so old they fart dust for petesake.

A

Anonymous

Wonder what the appearance fee is, and what will happen if it rains and there is a hill he has to climb or train tracks he has to cross? Wussy.

53 x 11 said:
It has made no effect on the acceptance of cycling in Adelaide. The roads here are more dangerous than ever and cyclists are further marginalised everyday. 6 of my friends have been hit by cars this week.

Everything that CSA has done recently has made me think that they are total plebs and Mike Rann is an attention *****.

Man, I am grumpy.......

Yes the $1 million slated for a road safety program was spent on Lance instead. 2010 road cycle lane program has be halted to pay Lance to come back to Australia.

It's a sad indiment on country who has to pay people to visit!

What people don't want to come to Australia?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
bring it on

my wife and i where at the the TDU this year for the final 3 stages, we loved it and will definately be back next year. i can tell you first hand there was a huge % of fans wearing the livestrong bands - that's good for cancer and good for cycling.

if you decide to go you might just see us on old Willunga Hill, with our picnic set, cheese, olives and wine ;) vive le Tour

ridley said:
Maybe some of you 'seasoned' professionals can help out here as I still don't get it !!

So, getting invited to a race is good enough for entry just because you so happen to have won 7 TdF's in the past?

I guess my point is what is the criteria to get into races other than ProT events? Invitation because of previous record?

If it's not a PT race then yes, invites are at the sole discretion of the race Promotor and they can invite/exlude whoever they want - if it's not a PT race then in effect the Promotor is the Governing Body of the race and can do whatever they want.

A

Anonymous

mherm79 said:
my wife and i where at the the TDU this year for the final 3 stages, we loved it and will definately be back next year. i can tell you first hand there was a huge % of fans wearing the livestrong bands - that's good for cancer and good for cycling.

if you decide to go you might just see us on old Willunga Hill, with our picnic set, cheese, olives and wine ;) vive le Tour

I'll be there, but I am bringing a Hell's Angel, a bottle of Jose Cuervo, and some LSD. As long as you, your family and friends don't freak us out, everything should be just fine. I'd watch Gimme Shelter for safety's sake, and maybe suggest Mr Armstrong do the same.

thehog said:
Yes the $1 million slated for a road safety program was spent on Lance instead. 2010 road cycle lane program has be halted to pay Lance to come back to Australia.

It's a sad indiment on country who has to pay people to visit!

What people don't want to come to Australia?

Only convicted felons I heard.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ridley said:

Good points - the Tour Down Under is a ProTour event, however:

"In terms of participation, UCI ProTeams have priority to compete in UCI ProTour events. However, UCI Professional Continental Teams with wild card status can also take part in UCI ProTour events if invited. Wild card status is afforded to teams that apply and meet similar quality criteria to those applying to become UCI ProTeams, in particular with regard to ethical considerations"...

It seems LA is confident of getting a PT or even a ProConti licence.... and with the way things are at the UCI he has every reason to be.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I'll be there, but I am bringing a Hell's Angel, a bottle of Jose Cuervo, and some LSD. As long as you, your family and friends don't freak us out, everything should be just fine. I'd watch Gimme Shelter for safety's sake, and maybe suggest Mr Armstrong do the same.

all depends on whether you plan on sharing the Jose Cuervo....?

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Thoughtforfood said:

I have to warn you that local customs dictate that if you are to bring a bottle of hard liquor to any bicycle race you must also donate an equal sized bottle of said liquor to the local bicycle retail outlet.

I know it's not really fair, but we have to protect our wine industry:)

I've traveled over to Adelaide from New Zealand for the last three Tours Down Under and I have to say that this year's addition was the least enjoyable. The "Lance" factor was the primary reason for this. In previous years paying extra to be part of the official 'Touring the Tour' got you access to the teams areas before and after each stage. It was supposed to be the case this year but on the morning of stage one we were told "no... because of security concerns around Lance, the teams areas were off limits". WTF? that's not the case at the TDF but it is at the TDU?????
Secondly, the huge increase in spectators (most of whom had come out purely for a glimpse of LA) made it incredibly difficult to see any more than one part of the race. You now have to decide whether you go to a sprint or KOM or the stage finish. Try and do both and by the time you get to the finish you don't have a **** show of getting anywhere near the barriers.

Way to go Mike Rann... pander to your own ego and alienate the real fans of the sport in the process. I won't be back in 2010 (will come over for the World's in Melbourne though). I might come back to South Australia when LA decides to retire again and the politicians lose interest.

A

Anonymous

badboyberty said:
I have to warn you that local customs dictate that if you are to bring a bottle of hard liquor to any bicycle race you must also donate an equal sized bottle of said liquor to the local bicycle retail outlet.

So long as you guys are comfortable with my custom of spiking any liquor I give to someone with massive amounts of LSD, I guess we have a deal...You also might have to let a Hell's Angel sleep on your couch for a couple of days, which can be a bit dodgy.

Thoughtforfood said:
So long as you guys are comfortable with my custom of spiking any liquor I give to someone with massive amounts of LSD, I guess we have a deal...You also might have to let a Hell's Angel sleep on your couch for a couple of days, which can be a bit dodgy.

I don't know as I would feel comfortable drinking from a bottle that TFF handed me, and I like the dude.

badboyberty said:

Berty, your shop is in McLaren Vale, not Willunga, so not really local, so you have to miss out. :)

Regards

Hugh
Victor Harbor

I'm looking forward to the "awareness" campaign. It was excellent at this year’s event and I'm sure Lance will be doubling his efforts in that area for 2010.

Also did you know that RadioShack has 4400 stores in the US? Incredible.