• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lances' 09 Tour

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I am just speculating but does anyone think that Lance rode the Tour this year to pile up wins to 8. It seems to me that would make it that much harder for Contador to beat Lances' record. I don't agree with Di ck Pounds' opinion that Lance came out of retirement to get more saddle sores.

flicker said:
I am just speculating but does anyone think that Lance rode the Tour this year to pile up wins to 8. It seems to me that would make it that much harder for Contador to beat Lances' record. I don't agree with Di ck Pounds' opinion that Lance came out of retirement to get more saddle sores.

I don't know... He probably looked at the competition from last year (Sastre, Evans, Menchov, Vande Velde, F.Schleck; to name the un-convicted top-5) and said to himself that he could beat those guys. And to be fair to him, he finished higher up than all of last years' returning top 10, so he might've had a point. And just how dominant had Contador shown himself when LA announced his return? He'd done v. well in some shorter stage races, but he won the '07 Tour by a tiny margin, won the '08 Giro with good time-trialing but no dominant climbing performances, and the '08 Vuelta with less than a minute over Levi Leipheimer. LA simply fancied his chances I'd say.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah like I read in Velosnooze in the Liege-Bastogne-Liege Lance took like 7th in a 5 man lead pack/1 in the breakaway. He didn't sprint and when asked why he quipped wearily "I don't race for 2nd. I think Lance was very dissapointed with last years tour performance. Merckxlike.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I don't know... He probably looked at the competition from last year (Sastre, Evans, Menchov, Vande Velde, F.Schleck; to name the un-convicted top-5) and said to himself that he could beat those guys. And to be fair to him, he finished higher up than all of last years' returning top 10, so he might've had a point. And just how dominant had Contador shown himself when LA announced his return? He'd done v. well in some shorter stage races, but he won the '07 Tour by a tiny margin, won the '08 Giro with good time-trialing but no dominant climbing performances, and the '08 Vuelta with less than a minute over Levi Leipheimer. LA simply fancied his chances I'd say.

Agreed. I don't think Lance is so insecure to attempt stockpiling maillot jaunes in an effort to prevent AC from winning more. I would say it was about the cancer initiative, but as the season progressed, it seemed to be less about cancer and more about winning the tour, not neccesarily beating AC. If Schleck were on top, Lance second and AC third, he would have had that same look of disappointment. Lance still feels he's among the best, and rightfully so, third place at 37 and three years away is an incredible accomplishment.

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
Agreed. I don't think Lance is so insecure to attempt stockpiling maillot jaunes in an effort to prevent AC from winning more. I would say it was about the cancer initiative, but as the season progressed, it seemed to be less about cancer and more about winning the tour, not neccesarily beating AC. If Schleck were on top, Lance second and AC third, he would have had that same look of disappointment. Lance still feels he's among the best, and rightfully so, third place at 37 and three years away is an incredible accomplishment.

I think the cancer thing was just an excuse, perhaps partly to himself, he still wants to win - in other people that's considered a good thing.

ImmaculateKadence said:

I like your theory but I think it was more that he's a total w£nkwr. IMHO.

If it were about cancer, why would Lance start a feud with Contador instead of recruiting him to help raise funds for cancer research? Why the lame Twitter traffic from Lance? If his comeback were focused on cancer, I doubt he'd have stooped to such sophomoric antics.

Lance is about Lance. I'm not claiming that's right or wrong of him, but the cancer angle to his comeback is just a diversion to stoke the mindless worship of his most fervent fanboys.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Lance is about Lance. I'm not claiming that's right or wrong of him, but the cancer angle to his comeback is just a diversion to stoke the mindless worship of his most fervent fanboys.

I think we should also consider that his reasons for coming back to the sport are not mutually exclusive.

He can try to win, do cancer advocacy and stoke his ego all at the same time.

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:

He thought let's go and win it all. 8th tour here I come!! Sastre? what a waste!!
There's no concurrention, and if there's I will show them! I know how to handle these things.
And Alberto who?? Ow I will scare the **** out of him.

plus plus I will get a lot more media attention. So it's a win-win situation!

So that was his plan A!

Plane B is yet to come! >>>>>>>2010!!!

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
Murray said:
I think we should also consider that his reasons for coming back to the sport are not mutually exclusive.

That seems as good a guess as any.

Murray said:

That may be true, but his stated reason for coming back was for cancer advocacy. I'm certainly not saying that he hasn't been an advocate for cancer research. I'm just pointing out that if it was his primary motivation, his actions have been contrary to that goal, at least vis-a-vis his cycling rivals.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
You Immaculate Kadence and Progressor, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish. But Sprocket is the best Lance fanboy of all time... of all time!!

Moose McKnuckles said:
If it were about cancer, why would Lance start a feud with Contador instead of recruiting him to help raise funds for cancer research? Why the lame Twitter traffic from Lance? If his comeback were focused on cancer, I doubt he'd have stooped to such sophomoric antics.

Agreed: I´d say he missed being the boss, number one, the center of the cycling world and actually thought he could win. He also figured with JB they´d be able to underhandedly change the whole leadership board of Astana from Contador to him. The cancer angle was all PR to put the comeback in a selfless light. He certainly didn´t have to comeback to continue his cancer programs and I don´t remember him mentioning cancer once during the Tour except for the interview with Fignon before the race, yet he sure had a lot of other things to say on Twitter.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I think the reason anyone returns to something they have done in the past is because they miss it.

He has plenty of money, plenty of fame, plenty of notoriety, and just about anything else that can be gained through sport.

I think he missed the singularity of focus that is required to prepare for competition at that level and wanted to live it again.

I think we will be treated to an exciting TdF in 2010. Schleck, Contador, Armstrong, Menchov and the others all with big plans and there are only so many places on the podium. I hope everyone shows up in top condition and good health and we have another race free scandal. This coming Tour can be one that helps erase the past and re-establish some of the mystique of the sport.

thehog said:
I like your theory but I think it was more that he's a total w£nkwr. IMHO.

Yes well, you have your right to your "humble" opinion. However it is a sad opinion if it is based on your fatuous comment about LA being a "total w$nker"; unless of course you are comparing him to yourself and you consider yourself a mega achiever in sport and business, have contributed in abundance in time and money to the less fortunate and don't give a flying f*ck about speaking your mind.

Quite frankly, your humble opinion, on this particular issue, isn't worth 2 bob old fella. You don't have the numbers. But don't let this stop you being very silly.

David Suro said:
I think the reason anyone returns to something they have done in the past is because they miss it.

He has plenty of money, plenty of fame, plenty of notoriety, and just about anything else that can be gained through sport.

I think he missed the singularity of focus that is required to prepare for competition at that level and wanted to live it again.

I think we will be treated to an exciting TdF in 2010. Schleck, Contador, Armstrong, Menchov and the others all with big plans and there are only so many places on the podium. I hope everyone shows up in top condition and good health and we have another race free scandal. This coming Tour can be one that helps erase the past and re-establish some of the mystique of the sport.

I think you could be on the money with what you said and maybe a bit of ego too. Whatever. And I like what you said about 2010; it has all the promises of a very exciting race: who, if anyone can stop Contador from dominating the Tour? There are a few big players there, including Evans. It may not be a walk in the park for El Pistole. My bet is that it will be a very well attended Tour and the promoters will be happy.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
There haven't been big players at the race since the early 90s.

As for putting the record out of reach - winning 7 GTs figures low on the list of achievements - Contador already has 4 to his name, including all 3 GTs and if he can do the Double it'll be a case of 'Armstrong wasn't he the guy that won one race 7 times when they were all doped to the eyeballs'.

I think he came back to chance his arm at the Giro, knowing that he wouldn't be considered anything other than a one trick pony unless he won big outside the Tour.

A

Anonymous

bianchigirl said:
There haven't been big players at the race since the early 90s.

As for putting the record out of reach - winning 7 GTs figures low on the list of achievements - Contador already has 4 to his name, including all 3 GTs and if he can do the Double it'll be a case of 'Armstrong wasn't he the guy that won one race 7 times when they were all doped to the eyeballs'.

I think he came back to chance his arm at the Giro, knowing that he wouldn't be considered anything other than a one trick pony unless he won big outside the Tour.

as opposed to contador, wasnt he that guy who won a bunch of races when they were all doped to the eyeballs

David Suro said:

My thought is that he came back because he MISSED the fame and the notoriety. That he fancied himself to be better than all the rest and he came back to prove it to the world--he already knew it. Thus his smugness during the early stages of the race, the planned, but foiled attempts to get into yellow and take control of the team, and ultimately the look of shock and disappointment on his face at Verbier.

As for next year's TdF, I'm not completely willing to dismiss LA as a competitor for a podium spot, but I'm close. The reality is that he made podium this year for two reasons: (1) TTT and (2) he was actually racing AC. He wasn't one of the best in the mountains and he never showed the ability to stay with the best (i.e., AS and AC). Returning to the TdF with the exact same team MINUS the best climber and the best TT'er of the GC candidates doesn't make me any more confident that he will be MORE competitive next year. In fact, it makes me feel the opposite. Whether or not this TdF erases and establishes the mystique are in the hands of AC, AS, Nibali and the other youngsters--it's their time. LA had his.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:

That would explain the pink bike. There is only one situation in which it is suitable for a grown man to be seen in public on a bike like that. And that is when he is wearing the maglia rosa.

But who are we to question the reasons behind LA's second coming? Shouldn't we just accept that he moves in mysterious ways?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
I would say it was about the cancer initiative, but as the season progressed, it seemed to be less about cancer and more about winning the tour

Here's the fun part: when you're out on your bike 5 hours a day, winning is the same thing as promoting your cause, and about the only thing you can do to promote it more than just being out riding your bike, as long as you're out riding your bike.

"We might as well win," is how it goes.

And if AC were on another team, he might have done it.

This is why we get Round 2: the 2010 Tour.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace, didn't you hear? It's official, McQ said it himself - doping is dead - Contador reigns supreme in the new doping free era

No wonder Armstrong hates him :lol:

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I definitely think that he thought he could win. I also think that he needed the attention and the spotlight that he was missing in retirement. This also puts more attention and spotlight on his campaign to improve cancer awareness and cancer research.
He just should have figured out a way to have Contador & A. Schleck miss the Tour de France. He might thing about this for 2010.