• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance's crash yesterday

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Just going from memory here... I don't think Horner had/has an SRM n his bike. He was probably guessing at his power output (I could be wrong).

I don't know, you could be right. But he would have to train with one all the time to get that good at estimating power. You know, we all can tell the tire pressure just by pinching the tire because we do it every day. I would assume that most of the top teams have power meters -- it's a nice way to bring the bike weight up to the legal minimum, and better than lead weights.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ricara said:
I don't know, you could be right. But he would have to train with one all the time to get that good at estimating power. You know, we all can tell the tire pressure just by pinching the tire because we do it every day. I would assume that most of the top teams have power meters -- it's a nice way to bring the bike weight up to the legal minimum, and better than lead weights.

He had a power meter on his bike: http://blog.oregonlive.com/horner/2010/07/tour_de_france_chris_horners_t.html

It would be nice to see the actual file, since that would really clear things up as to how hard the group was going. As it stands, we know his peak 20 minutes was 370, or about 5.7-5.8 w/kg. No idea where that was, though.