• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance's new Nike's look more like custom Bonts!!

Armstrong wearing Bont? Why don't Nike sell bike shoes any more?

Does any one know why Nike still sponsors big name riders e.g. Armstrong & Cavendish but they don't offer any products to the public?

I liked my old Nike shoes and it's a real shame that they don't offer anything now.
Also, are Armstrong's new shoes [seen at the Santos Tour Down Under] by Bont?

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
They certainly look like they could've been made by Bont even though they have Nike's swooshes festooned all over them. Same bathtub style carbon sole. Probably would be very easy for Bont to make private labelled shoes for Nike. Nike could even supply the upper materials (pre-screen printed) for Bont, and all Bont would have to do is cut and sew it to fit onto LA's custom shoe last.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
twothirds said:
They certainly look like they could've been made by Bont even though they have Nike's swooshes festooned all over them.

It's ironic that the shoes still have swooshes, even after Nike dropped out of cycling around 2008.

I read that Lance's shoes are actually by Rocket 7. The dissolution of the Trek-Nike partnership seemed to coincide with Lance's "retirement" and the breakup of Team Discovery Channel. While Nike did make some fine shoes and clothing, design and marketing seemed rather haphazard, especially since the clothing competed with Trek's own line.

Trek's shoes and clothing were handed over to Bontrager for 2009.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
whether it was just the name I liked my Nike stuff. As others have said the marketing behind it was rubbish. A lot of it was the same as the Nike running stuff and made in Italy but a lot of the cycling stuff wasn't available in the UK and they only stock the TdF jerseys in Nike town for 3 weeks in July.

The Bontrager stuff last year was basically Nike under a diff name.

Lets hope with the comeback of LA they start to sell a few more items again

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me, or is Nike trying to take credit again for making cycling shoes? I thought DMT made their shoes before. And now, they claim to have made one-offs just for Lance. (See the pics on todays Cycling News on the gear of the Tour Down Under) and also some more in previous stage coverage pics. They totally look like custom Bonts with Nike logos. I hope Bont gets some credit or at least some $$$

DHILLON_H said:
Is it just me, or is Nike trying to take credit again for making cycling shoes? I thought DMT made their shoes before. And now, they claim to have made one-offs just for Lance. (See the pics on todays Cycling News on the gear of the Tour Down Under) and also some more in previous stage coverage pics. They totally look like custom Bonts with Nike logos. I hope Bont gets some credit or at least some $$$

i am sure bont are more than happy lance is wearing their shoes. anytime he blows his nose, notes are taken. if he is wearing your shoes, just be ready for a
ton of new orders.;)

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
DHILLON_H said:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=5747

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
I had a pair of Nike Lance IIs, the ones with the stylized "7/cane" and liked them a lot. In fact I'd still be using them if it weren't for the heel wearing out. I switched over to Sidi's and love those and like that you can get replacement parts. Eventually I'd like to get a pair of the high end Ergo's. I have a lot of Nike gear, which of course was Giordana and that as well is really nice, great fit, etc., etc. The wind vests are especially nice as the back is well vented.

My understanding and this comes from my uncle who owns a Trek dealership is that Nike sold their items exclusively through Trek dealers and thus had a rather limited audience and I believe price was a factor too. Nike is still a cycling sponsor, you could see the swoosh plastered all over the Roubaix velodrome last year. They just don't sell to the public anymore, which I don't quite understand because isn't the point of sponsoring an athlete to get that athlete's fan base to buy your product?

TRENDING THREADS