• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance's Oz Fee Press Blackout-Bad For Image

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
hughmoore said:
No, you are wrong.

My friends and I drove 100km to Adelaide this morning to join in the twitter ride. We spent money in Glenelg at a bakery on breakfast and after a coupl of hours riding spent more money on lunch after.

I would not have normally done this on a Saturday morning, so this is extra money I spent that I wouldnt normally have.

You are right if you use a closed area but on a world wide economy you are wrong.

The only recipients are the Lance: the money you have spent is lost for your local area, so they would have to pay an other Lance to draw a lot of people who would spent the same amount of money.
At the end the 2 local areas have the same amount of money minus what they give to the 2 Lance !

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
All the money might not go into Armstrong's pocket. Some of it will probably find its way into Dr. Ferrari's pocket, and a little will also end up in Pat McQuaid's pocket.

Facts please!!! impressive research right there. Thanks.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
Here's some facts for you!

http://www.livestrong.com/teamradioshack/riders_LanceArmstrong/

Lance Armstrong
CountryUSA
BirthdateSeptember 18, 1971
Height177cm/5 ft 8in
Weight71 kg/156.5 lbs
ResidesAustin

He's both 5'10" (177cm) and 5'8" at the same time! Plus he's down to 156.5lbs.

I'll bet 5'7" and 168lbs.

My god you must be an angel sent from heaven. Jesus Christ :eek::eek:

All right it's saturday I will give it a rest now. peace

buckwheat said:

Lance Armstrong
CountryUSA
Height177cm/5 ft 8in
Weight71 kg/156.5 lbs
ResidesAustin

So Lance has lost 4 kg from the Tour de France???? This is his lightest weight EVER!!!! Off season and he loses 4 kgs. Amazing.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
So Lance has lost 4 kg from the Tour de France???? This is his lightest weight EVER!!!! Off season and he loses 4 kgs. Amazing.

Yes it is!

You do know he's the hardest working cyclist ever?

I'm in agreement with Coyle, that he lowers his weight as much as possible. I'm also perplexed, as is Coyle, why his European counterparts don't lose as much weight as possible.;);)

buckwheat said:
Yes it is!

I'm in agreement with Coyle, that he lowers his weight as much as possible. I'm also perplexed, as is Coyle, why his European counterparts don't lose as much weight as possible.;);)

Absolutely. No one works harder at building his myth... Not to mention that high cadence!!!!

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Absolutely. No one works harder at building his myth... Not to mention that high cadence!!!!

That's actually why I hate the guy! I bought into all of that high cadence bs. Problem is, I haven't done the proper preparation to make the high cadence work for me.;)

buckwheat said:
Yes it is!

Yes, a right bunch of porkers. Check out Bobby Gesink:

rabo-gesink.jpg

Positively obese!:D

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
hughmoore said:
No, you are wrong.

My friends and I drove 100km to Adelaide this morning to join in the twitter ride. We spent money in Glenelg at a bakery on breakfast and after a coupl of hours riding spent more money on lunch after.

I would not have normally done this on a Saturday morning, so this is extra money I spent that I wouldnt normally have.

Regards

Hugh

Ever heard of terms such as "marginal propensity to consume" or "marginal propensity to save"? I am betting the money you spent would have been spent by you regardless of Lance coming out. Maybe not at the bakery but on commodities and perishables with a low elasticity of demand. Either way, you didn't dig into your savings, you spent money from your pocket that was to be consumed regardless. That is not expanding the economy, no matter what an politician or PR campaign purports. Which sadly is where they get most of their "money into the local economy" figures.

As I said before, the money injected into the economy comes from TV and broadcast profits and gate takings. Are the events in SA not free? Team expenses would inject money locally (accomodation, food, fuel, travel costs, etc) and the support staff. Did you know the Victorian government makes a loss on the F1? Very few sporting events add wealth to an economy. Sure the short term effect is slightly noticeable to some businesses, but overall, on a macro scale it is minimal. A blip.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
They would measure it by using some sort of data reference to then determine if there was a significant statistical jump in, say, tourism dollars spent in Melbourne (this data is easily available to the department of treasury, i believe). Following that data, they would then see that the amount of dollars spent on tourism jumped by a significant amount above the normal inflation adjusted level for this kind of event. There are a few statistical tests to show when there has been a significant enhancement of growth above the normal average. Similar to how after the olympics, they calculate how much this contributed to a country's GDP, and its usually a positive investment (one would hope anyway).

I doubt his main audience were just locals tho. I would think that many people from interstate would have come specifically for Tiger (well at least a current affair found plenty of people stating their opinion for entry to the open was specifically for Tiger). So just interstate travel then you have these people spending money on local accomodation, local food, local restaurants, local public transport/cabs then of course the tickets to the open. So even that, its a significant number of dollars injected into the state, that otherwise would not have been there. I'm not sure if they include air travel in these estimates, but if they did then that would also add to the estimated 30 million injection.

So thats just the interstate input. the intra-state input may be similar as well (minus the travel) as there would be a significant number of people who would come to the golf that otherwise wouldn't. Then they spent money again on local food, local restuarants/nightclubs that then dissipates through the local economy.

maybe there is even an international factor as well, but again, i'm not absolutely sure what they include in their measurements. given Tiger's antics with his entourage staying at the most expensive hotel, he probably contributed half a million to the local economy too!!

originally they estimated Tiger's appearance to be 19million injected in the local economy, but then two months or so after the event when they got the data it was estimated to be i think 33mill, but not sure so i just said 30+ mill (it was definately 30 something)

so the jist of the very long post (sorry, a very very long post) is that paying tiger to come leads to more people visiting the state and spending money in the state, who otherwise wouldn't for this sporting event, and using that data they can then determine his impact on the local economy.

Thanks for that. Being a big fan of stats (I've used a lot of them in my past) I would like to see the figures. I doubt the Treasury will open the books for me if I ask. I am aware of how GDP and GNP figures are come to. It is detailed and thorough. Not to sure about the State Govt lines to the media. Federally you can ask the Bureau of Statistics, as the govt has to provide data to all citizens upon request (official figures). Not sure about the States.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Yes, a right bunch of porkers. Check out Bobby Gesink:

rabo-gesink.jpg

Positively obese!:D

C'mon now! With a physique like that how is Gesink going to garner the kind of man love that Lance enjoys?

Maybe I'm just blind to the Euro trash, heroin chic side of things?

Perhaps Kate Moss will weigh in here with her skeletal outlook?

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
It's not a big deal, but they find anything they can to criticize him.

Through cherry picking and taking statements out of context, they will find a way.

a) His Majesty provides no shortage of opportunity for those who want to criticize him. (And the criticism, in turn, is irresistible fodder to his zealous followers.)

b) It looks bad. No getting around it. Lance tries to appear to be some sort of philanthropist but can never seem to do anything that doesn't profit himself. It's a shame. Or should I say sham ?

Lastly, if I was a private investor trying to profit from tourism, event ticket sales (if there were any) etc, I would probably at least entertain the 'return on investment' of bringing in a major celebrity to boost interest. But in the last 18 months, public funds have been used for anything those in power want to use it for. [Too lazy not to edit the preposition off the end of the last sentence.]

I don't blame Lance for taking the dough, but the ability of his fans to swallow and then smile so sincerely is a bit gross.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
WOW, that is one nasty thing to say about anyone, anywhere. If someone disagrees with you about Lance they are a cancer lover? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Now you will probably call me a cancer lover.

he was not being serious... its taken from that cycling comic toto, i would post the link but it is on a blog which is banned in China, where it pokes fun at Lance by having him say to Greg LeMond 'Wow Greg, you must really love cancer' in response to LeMond's criticism of Lance, and Lance's heinous co-opting of cancer as his first line of defence against 'haters'

Mellow Velo said:
Funny.
It appeared to be a big issue when people thought he was dipping into his pocket to help Haiti.
BIG headlines and isn't Lance wonderful.

Must have been a major disappointment to find out it was LAF, not Lance, pledging the money to other associations, for use.

Now, we are dealing with a figure that is at least 5 times the LAF amount and it's going into his back pocket.
This "fee" has as much to do with supporting Rann's political campaign, as racing a bike.
Sure Rann is the instigator, but Lance the beneficiary.

My point being, the Haiti pledge was given out freely, because it depicts Lance in a positive light.
His Oz fee, would have the opposite effect for both men, so it remains a closely guarded secret.

Thanks for your critical insight and having explained it so eloquently.

A

Anonymous

buckwheat said:

Lance Armstrong
CountryUSA
Height177cm/5 ft 8in

Weight71 kg/156.5 lbs
ResidesAustin

here we go again with the "mysterious data"
I read in a magazine a couple months ago that Bruyneel wasn't really happy with LA's weight during the TDF (165 pounds, being registered as the lowest weight he's ever been in the Tour)because it might has caused him power lost--And now having seen him riding that 50km crit at that pace- I don't know what to think when he "appears" to shed down almost 10 pounds.........
It is that the "new enhancing" way to ride?

hfer07 said:
here we go again with the "mysterious data"
I read in a magazine a couple months ago that Bruyneel wasn't really happy with LA's weight during the TDF (165 pounds, being registered as the lowest weight he's ever been in the Tour) so I don't know what to think when he "appears" to shed down almost 10 pounds.........
It is that the "new enhancing" way to ride?

He doesn't look like he's lost 4 kilograms or that he could afford to lose 4 kilograms. Maybe they are trying to set up a Wiggins type-story to help explain his soon to be regained climbing form.

Publicus said:
He doesn't look like he's lost 4 kilograms or that he could afford to lose 4 kilograms. Maybe they are trying to set up a Wiggins type-story to help explain his soon to be regained climbing form.

Indeed- the problem now is that "magical weight loss" & the "regained Climbing form" and all that bullsh!t cannot be linked/related/analyzed with his "blood values", since he's no longer willing to publish them.
in any case seems to me that LA's PR approach is to inflate his gains to the public in order to maintain those crazy fans exited--at least untill the Tour begins...:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.