• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lances position

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Looking at early footage of Lance and comparing to this years TDF it seems to me that his saddle height is lower--what do you think?

micmat said:
Looking at early footage of Lance and comparing to this years TDF it seems to me that his saddle height is lower--what do you think?

I noticed that he looked pretty cramped on his TT bike in the final ITT - but maybe it's a 'wind tunnel' position thing - can't imagine your knees hitting your arms is great for your power output though.

Apologies for the 'armchair quaterbacking' on this one - but I'm interested if anyone can explain why it looks that way on the TV.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
micmat said:

I would agree, and Lance isn't the only one. Lowering your seat lets you use your hamstring(upstroke) muscles more efficiently, which let's you save your quads for when you stand up and pedal.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
micmat said:

I thought the same thing. and he doesnt look as stretched out. a few guru fitters I know now say it allows for more power but I am not smart enough to understand the reasoning

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
I noticed that he looked pretty cramped on his TT bike in the final ITT - but maybe it's a 'wind tunnel' position thing - can't imagine your knees hitting your arms is great for your power output though.

Apologies for the 'armchair quaterbacking' on this one - but I'm interested if anyone can explain why it looks that way on the TV.

I've noticed some riders tend to get thicker in the chest as they get older. Makes their position look more cramp.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
he has always sat lower than most pros since the cancer

helps with the spinning but it's not good for the hips or tendons

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
ok easy on the age thing :D
So even if they did lower his seat, can your naked eye really notice a millimeter or 2 on a tv screen or even in person?

did they lower his seat or was his seat post stuck up his **** further? :rolleyes: