• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis Attacks Vaughters

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
I like Vaughters and I want (nay, need) to believe he's being honest about Slipstream, but at the end of the day there's not much to believe that is the case.

I won't speak to allegations of doping, because, well, it's not in my best interests to do so in this case. However, as I said via Twitter, I almost choked to death on a Triscuit when I read that bit about "sticking steadfastly to the rules." No one in cycling at the elite level (or any level for that matter) is a saint, and the organization referenced in that article shouldn't be presented as holy. My understanding is that in their business/contract dealings, they've proven in at least one case to be no better than an organized crime family that strong-arms individuals into abrogating their legal rights for fear of being black-balled and never being able to secure work anywhere else in pro cycling, ever again.

Out of respect for the victim, I won't reveal his identity in a public forum, and I don't plan to write about the case anywhere else. But unless this person was profoundly mistaken in their interpretation of events, they enabled the organization in question to stick to the rules only by giving up their contractually-guaranteed rights after being intimidated and scared by a pantheon of minor deities.

joe_papp said:
I won't speak to allegations of doping, because, well, it's not in my best interests to do so in this case. However, as I said via Twitter, I almost choked to death on a Triscuit when I read that bit about "sticking steadfastly to the rules." No one in cycling at the elite level (or any level for that matter) is a saint, and the organization referenced in that article shouldn't be presented as holy. My understanding is that in their business/contract dealings, they've proven in at least one case to be no better than an organized crime family that strong-arms individuals into abrogating their legal rights for fear of being black-balled and never being able to secure work anywhere else in pro cycling, ever again.

Out of respect for the victim, I won't reveal his identity in a public forum, and I don't plan to write about the case anywhere else. But unless this person was profoundly mistaken in their interpretation of events, they enabled the organization in question to stick to the rules only by giving up their contractually-guaranteed rights after being intimidated and scared by a pantheon of minor deities.

the world in total is getting meaner, and workers rights are being squashed at every turn. the wealth transfer is enormous. this sport is so hard and the financial rewards are getting smaller. feeding your family is a priority and professional athletes are mostly just everyday people, good at what they do, but not elite politicians and bankers by any means. this is what globalization
brings us on the down side. sorry i went political, but even doping is political,eh?