• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis wore a wire and filmed Ball (at feds request)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Yeah, and his follow on was something about going for the hour record, which some cycling websites took seriously :p

Googling landis twitter hour record confirms it was December last year:

http://www.cycliststweeting.com/twitter/TheRealFloydL/

Thanks for the link. I see that Taylor Phinney is working "closely" with Allen Lim:

http://www.cycliststweeting.com/twitter/allencolim/
Allen Lim
A nice evening spin back at home w/ @taylorphinney. Waxing philosophic about the power of love. Good times. http://plixi.com/p/46419376

I don't understand why reveal this evidence now ? Why the hesitation ? Why the delay ? Does Floyd think Novitzky's investigation is cooling ?

I don't understand what impact (Ball on video) will really have with Novitzky's case ? However, if Landis comes forward with footage of Lance, then it truly will be over for him.

:rolleyes:

masking_agent said:
However, if Landis comes forward with footage of Lance, then it truly will be over for him.

I think the idea was to place fear, uncertainy and doubt in the minds of the Amrstrong camp.

When the scheduled SI article lands in our laps Armstrong can't simply deny or label Landis a "lair" - why? Well there might be some video/audio evidence lying around thats why.

Should be fun to watch.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
masking_agent said:
I don't understand why reveal this evidence now ? Why the hesitation ? Why the delay ? Does Floyd think Novitzky's investigation is cooling ?

I don't understand what impact (Ball on video) will really have with Novitzky's case ? However, if Landis comes forward with footage of Lance, then it truly will be over for him.

It's not something that just happened, it's something that the New York Daily News recently learned from "sources". And the "Novitsky case" started before Armstrong was included. It didn't originate as an investigation into US Postal.

Floyd wore the wire, which got them enough quality intel to get a search warrant for Ball. The News reported the existence of the search warrant in late June. (Links posted earlier in the thread).

I don't understand why people think there would be a big time gap between the wire and the search warrant. If the Feds have video of doping products in a particular location, who's to say they would still be there a couple of months later? I only know the process from fictional TV shows, but once you have enough evidence to convince a judge, you do the search and gather the evidence.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I think the idea was to place fear, uncertainy and doubt in the minds of the Amrstrong camp.

When the scheduled SI article lands in our laps Armstrong can't simply deny or label Landis a "lair" - why? Well there might be some video/audio evidence lying around thats why.

Should be fun to watch.

Can't simply label Flandis a "Liar", true.

How about "liar" and a "sneak"?

Many people do not appreciate the Feds taking pictures inside their homes.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

Should be fun to watch.

My guess is that certain people are getting impatient and want Armstrong to sweat again. Now we have a slight taste of what the government has (and more importantly, from whom). The big question now is: "How long was Floyd wearing the wire?"

And gee, I wonder if Fabiani is in NYC having lunch today with some "key" Time Warner stockholders?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Many people do not appreciate the Feds taking pictures inside their homes.
Luckily for those many people there is a judicial system in place that will examine the evidence and consider the legality of the manner in which it was obtained. And luckily for the many among us who don't really care for illegal activities there are people willing to become agents of the state and collect evidence behind closed doors where investigators, surprisingly, don't get invited.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
yourwelcome said:
I'll be interested to see them. Right now it all sounds a bit thin.

I seriously hope you are wearing thick gloves, because that straw you are clinging to will burn when it gets pulled from your hand.

Case in point how the Feds got the warrant on Ball.
The HGH that Ball had may have been for his own personal use but once the Feds had the video information then they had grounds to get a search warrant.
If the HGH was still there then Ball is in trouble - add to that the feds would be able to seize documents, computers and phones.

It is not up to Floyd to prove anything -that is the Feds role and they are in.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Case in point how the Feds got the warrant on Ball.
The HGH that Ball had may have been for his own personal use but once the Feds had the video information then they had grounds to get a search warrant.
If the HGH was still there then Ball is in trouble - add to that the feds would be able to seize documents, computers and phones.

It is not up to Floyd to prove anything -that is the Feds role and they are in.

The Feds do not need a warrant to wire someone up and send them into your home to take pictures. They can even lie to the "wire" if required.

Taking secret pictures inside Mr Ball's home.
Maybe went though his trash too lol.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
The Feds do not need a warrant to wire someone up and send them into your home to take pictures. They can even lie to the "wire" if required.

Taking secret pictures inside Mr Ball's home.
Maybe went though his trash too lol.

So long as Floyd was invited into the home, no warrant is needed. He can snoop in the fridge, dig through drawers, etc (until asked to stop by Ball).

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
So long as Floyd was invited into the home, no warrant is needed. He can snoop in the fridge, dig through drawers, etc (until asked to stop by Ball).

I see. I ausume that only goes for civilians, not law enforcement agents?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
I see. I ausume that only goes for civilians, not law enforcement agents?

No. If a law enforcement officer decides to wear civilian clothes and is invited into someone's home, they are by all means 100% allowed to witness and observe what they see and then swear (affidavit) or testify (court) about what they've seen. Of course, the suspect could always ask them to leave before they see anything of evidential value.

They are not required to divulge their employment as a law enforcement officer.

If they observe evidence of illegal activity, they can go get a warrant and enter the residence and search more specifically for even more evidence.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I have to give Floyd credit he has a lot of nerve, courage something to befriend someone and then film them. I am not saying that because I like Mike Ball(I have found him creepy and I didn't like his shtick around races) but to go into someones house with the agenda of getting them in trouble takes nerve!

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
I have to give Floyd credit he has a lot of nerve, courage something to befriend someone and then film them. I am not saying that because I like Mike Ball(I have found him creepy and I didn't like his shtick around races) but to go into someones house with the agenda of getting them in trouble takes nerve!

Sorta like reaching-out to riders like Floyd and Tyler takes nerve, so you can hire them to teach your domestic riders how to properly dope?

Ball didn't just hire fallen dopers. He hired those whom he wished to dope better.

Oh and hey, look at this really cool racing pic I found on the internet. I love racing pics:

JD_csc07_Bahati_600.jpg

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Sorta like reaching-out to riders like Floyd and Tyler takes nerve, so you can hire them to teach your domestic riders how to properly dope?

Ball didn't just hire fallen dopers. He hired those whom he wished to dope better.

Oh and hey, look at this really cool racing pic I found on the internet. I love racing pics:

JD_csc07_Bahati_600.jpg

It takes a criminal to catch a criminal, I have no love lost for Bahati,Bahatl or Landis. I hold none of those 3 in esteem.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Bicicleta said:
This article has made my day. The visual of FL getting all wired up is too much.

Lance may have won 7 :rolleyes: but Floyd is 007.

I wonder where they stuck the camera. Up in his backwards-turned baseball cap?

theswordsman said:
I don't understand why people think there would be a big time gap between the wire and the search warrant. If the Feds have video of doping products in a particular location, who's to say they would still be there a couple of months later? I only know the process from fictional TV shows, but once you have enough evidence to convince a judge, you do the search and gather the evidence.

no one knows how how much time passed between the surveilance and the search itself. i think they often happen in quick succession but in some instances like this one, investigators might not want to set off alarm bells to other people suspected of wrong doing and might wait till the timing is just right. the real world doesn't much resemble an episode of law and order.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
I wonder where they stuck the camera. Up in his backwards-turned baseball cap?

In the daisy lapel pin that also squirts water. (No offense to Floyd or what he did is intended... It's just a great mental image to me). The hat seems a possible hiding place.

And which actor will play him in the movie? Connery? Moore? Brosnan? Dalton? Craig? Niven?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
jimbob_in_co said:
In the daisy lapel pin that also squirts water. (No offense to Floyd or what he did is intended... It's just a great mental image to me). The hat seems a possible hiding place.

And which actor will play him in the movie? Connery? Moore? Brosnan? Dalton? Craig? Niven?

I would say bring back Peter Sellers from the dead....

lean said:
no one knows how how much time passed between the surveilance and the search itself. i think they often happen in quick succession but in some instances like this one, investigators might not want to set off alarm bells to other people suspected of wrong doing and might wait till the timing is just right. the real world doesn't much resemble an episode of law and order.

Would have been easy to nail Lance. Send in some blonde who looks like his mother and encourage him to "big it up" about his doping and good night sister. Not sure where you'd hide the camera because his busy hands would be all over her - perhaps in her intellect? He wouldn't go there.

TRENDING THREADS