• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landslides could see Poggio removed from 2020 Milan San Remo

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The mayor of Sanremo is trying to get funds for his city but if you look at the whole picture with the Aurelia interrupted in many parts because there are landslides everywhere is not something remote. Anyway I find hard to see the central government giving funds to fix the Aurelia when the whole region is collapsing and they have problems even to keep open fundamental infrastructures like highways and railways.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The mayor of Sanremo is trying to get funds for his city but if you look at the whole picture with the Aurelia interrupted in many parts because there are landslides everywhere is not something remote. Anyway I find hard to see the central government giving funds to fix the Aurelia when the whole region is collapsing and they have problems even to keep open fundamental infrastructures like highways and railways.
I don't know where you're getting your info from but my dad drove all the way to San Lorenzo in the past few days and told me the Aurelia is open. Same goes for the Poggio. There's still work to do and the situation could get worse in case of heavy rains during winter but as things stand the race will take place 100%.

Currently the problems in Liguria are the highway and the roads in the inland, but I would say the Aurelia is not an issue at the moment. Could obviously get worse in case of torrential rain but the rainy season is over by now, so it's unlikely.
In any case, only something really close to the Apocalypse would stop the Sanremo being held.

I don't know where you're getting your info from but my dad drove all the way to San Lorenzo in the past few days and told me the Aurelia is open. Same goes for the Poggio. There's still work to do and the situation could get worse in case of heavy rains during winter but as things stand the race will take place 100%.
Local media reports, just search "frana sull'Aurelia" and see how many different landslides there are all along the road. Last month was closed due to landslides also the road used as a descent from the Turchino.

In Finale Ligure they are going to start works on the Aurelia in some days and will last until easter.

Under monitoring is situation in Capo Noli where the road could be closed at any moment if the situation warrant.

But there are still a lot of problems, an article from early this week says "Aurelia puntellata di cantieri".

Clearly Peter Sagan thinks the Poggio will be in this MSR 2020:
Sagan: “ want to better understand San Remo. I have already redone the Poggio three times”

Reactions: Jungle Cycle
Clearly Peter Sagan thinks the Poggio will be in this MSR 2020:
Sagan: “ want to better understand San Remo. I have already redone the Poggio three times”

Wow, very un-Sagan like to do a reconnaissance.

Clearly it's bugging him like hell that he still hasn't won it, as well it should.

Mar 23, 2019
Visit site
It annoys me he hasn’t won it. My favourite race and rider. Just once. Love the 2017 race. I will be on via Roma one day. I saw on Strava a few weeks ago. A rider had his photo taken with Sagan and another two bora riders. He’s clearly wanting this one ticked off. I think all his finishes remind me off the 2013 race. Just doesn’t happen for him.

"I don't know where those reports came from, I went to see the climb myself in training and it's absolutely fine," "I honestly don't know what they are talking about. There are no changes there at all."

This time, it's neither of Valgren's or SafeBet's fathers but Gilbert who throws all the negative reports into question.

I suspect that races will still occur with limited crowds being allowed on the route - In Hong Kong the horse racing is continuing behind closed doors - Ultimately, COVID 19 will spread throughout the world, so you have to keep some normality in the world.

TRENDING THREADS