• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landslides could see Poggio removed from 2020 Milan San Remo

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sooo..

Poggio HTF?
The could also just have the race finish at around half past 3 pm (before the traffic really picks up) and start earlier, but Vegni is against that, he probably fears that less people would tune in to watch the race oflr miss it because of turning on their tvs too late.
It's gonna be interesting how the heat affects the race, the route offers almost zero shelter from the sun.

The could also just have the race finish at around half past 3 pm (before the traffic really picks up) and start earlier, but Vegni is against that, he probably fears that less people would tune in to watch the race oflr miss it because of turning on their tvs too late.
It's gonna be interesting how the heat affects the race, the route offers almost zero shelter from the sun.
Nibs just called me offering both his collarbones to reschedule for december instead

Here's the new profile.

IMG-20200728-184109.jpg

Will Sagan finally end his Milan san remo? Will Gilbert join the Monument club? Any thoughts?

Hm, no... don't think so. I feel people just WANT them to win it, it's this "they should because they haven't done it before". But I can't really see how that is an argument for them winning it. Sagan could, though. Gilbert, no. Not without QS. Not with van der Poel around. What do I do if he does? I don't know. Tidy up that spice shelf. Well, that needs to be done anyway.

This looks much much worse for the sprinters. More climbing, increased distance and the heat should make the race quite a bit harder. Nava descent is fairly wide at a consistent 6-7% and rain is unlikely, although people could still be caught unawares there, and the series of level railway crossings directly after it could widen a gap...

Reactions: KZD and Rollthedice
Will Sagan finally end his Milan san remo? Will Gilbert join the Monument club? Any thoughts?
Sagan has to be a favorite as he is every year. Honestly he could have a few wins if things had shaken out slightly differently. I don't give Gilbert much chance. Especially since everyone knows he has to try something (and pretty much where) before the finish and it's not 2011 when you knew when he was going to go but you still couldn't do anything about it.

Gilbert and Sagan would be the sentimental choices to fill the key gaps in their palmares.

The race having such a short build up from the resumption also means the riders themselves are less clear about both their own form and that if their perceived main rivals.

That could lead to closed racing with teams reluctant to take risks or could open up longer range attacks with less riders having the form to stay in the peloton deep into the race.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Gilbert and Sagan would be the sentimental choices to fill the key gaps in their palmares.

The race having such a short build up from the resumption also means the riders themselves are less clear about both their own form and that if their perceived main rivals.

That could lead to closed racing with teams reluctant to take risks or could open up longer range attacks with less riders having the form to stay in the peloton deep into the race.

Heard there will be 6 riders per team.

Really think there isn't much of a difference in terms of difficulty between this and the usual route. Overall this has more climbing but I guess the climbs here won't be ridden as hard as the Capi usually are. That slightly changes the characteristic but I think we'll have completely forgotten they even used a different route once they start the Cipressa. Maybe the descent leads to splits or something along the line, but I really doubt it.

Reactions: jaylew
I won't miss the Capi, because nothing has happened there since Eddy Merckx' last win. The new course is higher, but the Nava climb isn't steep at all. I can't find a profile for that first climb, but that looks steeper. The result will probably be that riders are more tired because of the height and length, so it might be bad for the sprinters. Teams of six also make a sprint with a big group less likely. In the end it will still come down to having a poignant finish at the end of a long race.

The threat title is "Landsides could see Poggio removed", but ironically the Poggio is still there while almost all the other climbs have been removed.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS