• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landslides could see Poggio removed from 2020 Milan San Remo

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hm, no... don't think so. I feel people just WANT them to win it, it's this "they should because they haven't done it before". But I can't really see how that is an argument for them winning it. Sagan could, though. Gilbert, no. Not without QS. Not with van der Poel around. What do I do if he does? I don't know. Tidy up that spice shelf. Well, that needs to be done anyway.
Gilbert's best hope is if there's a split, and he's near enough to the front and able to get into the right selection over the Poggio, like Alaphilippe did last year. He still has a chance in a small group kick like that (he was able to outsprint Sam Bennett in a 1-v-1 after 200kms of hard racing at the Vuelta last year, which both is and isn't relevant to MSR), so it all depends on a) if the split happens, b) who makes that selection, and c) who is willing to work or not.

Mar 23, 2019
Visit site
I understand. For me I would like Sagan to win it as he has been close to many times before. Over the last 9 years maybe 6 top tens. And second twice. It’s my favourite race for some reason. As long as it it raced am not too fussed who wins It.

It remains weird how much this race has changed. I rewatched the 1991 edition with Chiappucci, and that looks like a climbers' race. The same is true for Fignon's two wins. Zabel has changed this race forever. However with this year's course and the smaller teams climbers might have a better chance again.

It remains weird how much this race has changed. I rewatched the 1991 edition with Chiappucci, and that looks like a climbers' race. The same is true for Fignon's two wins. Zabel has changed this race forever. However with this year's course and the smaller teams climbers might have a better chance again.
Climbers have fared pretty well the last 3 editions. :) Two of the three were punchier climbers but certainly more climbers than sprinters

Over the COVID holiday I watched every MSR back-to-back starting from the late 70's. I think the big difference is that, by the late 90's, teams were stronger and could control the race better. The race was watchable from the Cipressa until about 1997. Then it became super-boring.

Reactions: Pantani_lives

TRENDING THREADS