• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lantern Rouge - Get on Board the back of the bus!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Wergeland said:
My money is on Kenny Robert van Hummel, if he makes it to Paris. Weak rider who's always dropped as soon as the pace is raised in the peleton.

While Wim Vansevenant always did a great job for his team every year he was Lanterne Rouge, van Hummel simply isn't good enough for this years tour.

I'm having doubts he's even going to make it after his interview the other day. If he does, he will win it by a mile.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Kenny will make it. He scraped in by three minutes in the Pyrenees, and commented that he has never done three back-to-back mountain stages. I don't think he will make it over the Alps within the time limit.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
A few days ago I saw a very interesting video on cyclingfans.com about the Lantern Rouge... I can't remember the team is followed, but it basically showed from the team car, a day in the Tour for a rider just trying to hang on and make it in before the cut off.

Babe

runninboy said:
i still vote for one of the Japanese riders

No way. Beppu has moved up to 144th place. He is closing in on Arashiro, who is three places ahead. If they can finish Saturday's stage then they will finish more of the TdF than any Japanese ever. It is a battle royal to determine who will be the country's greated TdF rider. My money is on Beppu.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
runninboy said:
ok is it too late for me to pick cadel evans?:D

Ok i am changing my mind once again, I pick Menchov!
All he seems to do is fall off, maybe the rabo team mechanics don't like him so they are using armour all on the tire tread?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Kenny said that he stood up and picked up his bike with the intention of continuing, when he looked down and noticed that he could see bone in the gash on his knee.:eek:

He walked without crutches but could not bend his left leg, also had bandages on both arms. He looked really stoned from the painkillers. ;) He's been told that he absolutely can't ride for two weeks, so he's hoping for one week but intends to be sensible and not push things for the criteriums. It was suggested that maybe the races that wanted him to ride could invite him to give the starting shot instead. I reckon that's odds on to happen.

He's become a real celebrity in Holland, not only for his guts, but because he's a natural on tv. The boy will go far.