• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Laporte Discussion Thread - The Greatest?

Today I discovered this forum and from the calibre of the website, was expecting enlightened discussion of the world's best riders, however I was thoroughly disappointed to discover that this forum was behind the times and is still yet to discover that Christophe Laporte is in fact a cyclist of greater quality than Peter Sagan, which is thoroughly proved by his dominating performance in beating Sagan by over 2 minutes on the Ventoux stage of last year's Tour de France.

Laporte has also bested Peter Sagan on many an occasion and is often willing to sacrifice his own chances for lesser racers, such as supporting Bouhanni to many wins out of his pure kindness, on top of that he took an excellent victory in the Tour of Vendee 2015 against a high calibre field, against which he dominated and proved that he is in actuality one of the greatest cyclists of our time. So I have decided to grace this forum with a thread to discuss the great - Christophe Laporte!

Re:

ice&fire said:
Using Sagan as a reference for greatness is behind the times. Is this Laporte better than Van Avermaet, Valverde, Gilbert and Kwiatkowski?

Of Course, on none other than the Champs Elysees, he cruised ahead of both Van Avermaet and Valverde in the last TDF. Gilbert and Kwiatkowski unfortunately doubted their own abilities against Laporte to compete against him in the Tour, however there are other races for comparison. In the historic Trofeo Playa de Palma, Laporte crushed Kwiatkowski, while Gilbert could not even come close to Laporte on the difficult second stage of Paris - Nice this year.

To others, thank you for appreciating the need of this thread and the greatness of Laporte. :)

Unfortunately I do not understand your post, Portugal? Do you think that this is too obvious and nothing other than Laporte's greatness needs to be stated?

Laporte17 said:
Today I discovered this forum and from the calibre of the website, was expecting enlightened discussion of the world's best riders, however I was thoroughly disappointed to discover that this forum was behind the times and is still yet to discover that Christophe Laporte is in fact a cyclist of greater quality than Peter Sagan, which is thoroughly proved by his dominating performance in beating Sagan by over 2 minutes on the Ventoux stage of last year's Tour de France.

Laporte has also bested Peter Sagan on many an occasion and is often willing to sacrifice his own chances for lesser racers, such as supporting Bouhanni to many wins out of his pure kindness, on top of that he took an excellent victory in the Tour of Vendee 2015 against a high calibre field, against which he dominated and proved that he is in actuality one of the greatest cyclists of our time. So I have decided to grace this forum with a thread to discuss the great - Christophe Laporte!
Ya but can he do a wheelie? :D

Irondan said:
Laporte17 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p_Zv66k0Ag

He's failed less wheelie's than Sagan.

Laporte17 said:
Irondan said:
Laporte17 said:

Great, you've found a wheelie fail by Sagan but that's not what the question was now, was it...

I'm not going to ask you again because I know that you can't answer the question and I don't want this thread to descend into any more ridiculousness than it already is. It's fine that you have a rider that you really believe is "the greatest" but simple facts suggest otherwise. Perhaps maybe someday Christophe Laporte may go down in history as "the greatest", but at this point in time he's not even close.

I almost think this thread was formed to slight Peter Sagan more than anything else as you could pick from many riders to use the exact same argument and we consider this trolling.

It's up to you to convince me that you're not trolling or this thread is going to get closed.

Cheers :)

Irondan said:
Laporte17 said:
Irondan said:
Laporte17 said:

Great, you've found a wheelie fail by Sagan but that's not what the question was now, was it...

I'm not going to ask you again because I know that you can't answer the question and I don't want this thread to descend into any more ridiculousness than it already is. It's fine that you have a rider that you really believe is "the greatest" but simple facts suggest otherwise. Perhaps maybe someday Christophe Laporte may go down in history as "the greatest", but at this point in time he's not even close.

I almost think this thread was formed to slight Peter Sagan more than anything else as you could pick from many riders to use the exact same argument and we consider this trolling.

It's up to you to convince me that you're not trolling or this thread is going to get closed.

Well as the World Champion and greatly considered as one of the best riders now, Sagan is a good rider for comparison, as I feel people need a reference point to understand the level of talent Laporte has at just 24.

As many other talented riders get a thread for the discussion of their progression, results and abilities, it seems only fair that Laporte, who performed magnificently in last year's TDF and is one of the greatest pure lead-out men in the peloton (and will surely progress to be a great sprinter) should get his own discussion thread.

Laporte17 said:
Irondan said:
Laporte17 said:
Irondan said:
Laporte17 said:

Well as the World Champion and greatly considered as one of the best riders now, Sagan is a good rider for comparison, as I feel people need a reference point to understand the level of talent Laporte has at just 24.

As many other talented riders get a thread for the discussion of their progression, results and abilities, it seems only fair that Laporte, who performed magnificently in last year's TDF and is one of the greatest pure lead-out men in the peloton (and will surely progress to be a great sprinter) should get his own discussion thread.
Ahh, now we're getting somewhere.

I agree completely, Christophe Laporte deserves his own thread and now he has one.

Laporte17 said:
Irondan said:
Laporte17 said:
Irondan said:
Laporte17 said:

So the thread is not sarcastic in any way? :rolleyes:

Even if this thread is only about comparing Sagan with Laporte, can you please not close it. I find this thread really funny to read and I don't think anyone meant the first comments serious and I think as long as stupid comments aren't meant to annoy anyone but just to be funny there is no reason to delete them.

Gigs_98 said:
Even if this thread is only about comparing Sagan with Laporte, can you please not close it. I find this thread really funny to read and I don't think anyone meant the first comments serious and I think as long as stupid comments aren't meant to annoy anyone but just to be funny there is no reason to delete them.
He opened a Laporte thread on another forum as well before this one :lol:

Gigs_98 said:
It won't get closed as long as the discussion revolves around Christophe Laporte as his "riders thread".

If mods think that the OP or anyone else wants to use this riders thread for purposes other than discussing the rider in question then it may get shut down, or the member that takes the thread in that direction could be sanctioned or both. My point is that this thread should be treated the same way that any other riders threads are treated, despite the ridiculous OP.

The one and only, the epic champ of this era, Laporte! _O_

christophe_laporte_tour_vendee_2015.jpg

TRENDING THREADS