• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Laporte Discussion Thread - The Greatest?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
z_tn_2017-ven.jpg

2015 - Sprint Win
2017 - Solo Break

This guy is built for Vendee! :D

I wouldn't be surprised if a pro cyclist was registered here.

Actually, Luis Angel Maté was a user of a Spanish PCM Forum back in his amateur days. One of the Herrada brothers was registered in one of the most relevant Spanish cycling forums, as well as Juanjo Cobo, which is a very down-to-earth and nice guy.

Cavendish writes in his autobiography, 'At Speed', about how he read through cycling forums about himself, in particular when he was injured.
He didn't mention any forum in particular, but there is quite a high likelihood that it is the CN forum.

EDIT: And Velorooms have cyclists who blog and answer q and a's. In particular, Synergy Baku is active there. I find this thread particularly interesting: http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=7889.0

Roku said:
I wouldn't be surprised if a pro cyclist was registered here.

Actually, Luis Angel Maté was a user of a Spanish PCM Forum back in his amateur days. One of the Herrada brothers was registered in one of the most relevant Spanish cycling forums, as well as Juanjo Cobo, which is a very down-to-earth and nice guy.

Janez Brajkovič used to post on the PCMdaily forum a few years ago :)

Anyway this thread wasn't started by Mr Laporte himself, Forever the Best has it right on this one.

Turned 25 now and proving just how good he is - he's not stopping too. KBK and Omloop are surefire wins and then we'll see where he goes from there, Cofidis finally realising his potential to lead in the classics is amazing but surely TDF stages (and green?) are in the back of his mind? it's a shame there's no prologue as he's loving those but maybe he can just take yellow with a Stage 1 win.

LOL at the notion that Laporte is going to challenge Sagan for green. Laportes season start has been amazing,but let's consider the fact that most of the big sprinters are in Dubai atm. There's at least 10 sprinters in TDF that are better than him. And is Bouhanni not the favored sprinter on Cofidis?

Re:

Kazistuta said:
LOL at the notion that Laporte is going to challenge Sagan for green. Laportes season start has been amazing,but let's consider the fact that most of the big sprinters are in Dubai atm. There's at least 10 sprinters in TDF that are better than him. And is Bouhanni not the favored sprinter on Cofidis?

I think this might be a thread of slight exaggeration. A few people might also argue that Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne perhaps would not be "sure fire wins" for Laporte. Although, Sagan will not be there so they are very cheap this year.

Re:

Kazistuta said:

Laporte respects the history of racing in his native France over the money in Dubai.

Yeah, Bouhanni is a worry, not quite sure why Cofidis is always so keen to go for him instead of Laporte, hopefully they make the right chance at the TDF this year round though.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Kazistuta said:

I think this might be a thread of slight exaggeration. A few people might also argue that Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne perhaps would not be "sure fire wins" for Laporte. Although, Sagan will not be there so they are very cheap this year.

A win there is still more prestigious then winning the Dubai Tour, you can't call them cheap have you seen the quality startlists?

GenericBoonenFan said:
tobydawq said:
Kazistuta said:

A win there is still more prestigious then winning the Dubai Tour, you can't call them cheap have you seen the quality startlists?

It was keeping in line with the general tone of this thread - I know they are not cheap and that Laporte will be nowhere near winning them.

Few years ago, there was a TGAK from a aus fan. People feels funny before AK starts to win.
At the end, AK won a lot.
GVA is another sample.
I don't too surprise if CL could win something big in the future. He has a good start this year and enjoy some share of leadership now.

I think the purpose of this thread starter is to tell us CL has big potential. He is not a rider under radar.
Comparison with Peter Sagan is a good way to attract discussion.

TRENDING THREADS