• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Laporte Discussion Thread - The Greatest?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I thought Tour de Vendee was his main goal? Isn't he too big of a name to care about the races you've mentioned?

Of course he is, Vendee is really the only important race, but there other events are good warm up races, and I really hope we see a year where he isn't so generous to other riders in these warm up events, so we get to enjoy more Laporte dominance throughout the season, rather than just for the one biggest race of the year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Groenewegen, Van Aert, Dekker, Kooij and now also Laporte. That's one ridiculous amount of sprint options that Jumbo will have next year. All of them but Dekker are under contract for 2023 too.
I wonder if the team won't prove too small for them all. It's one thing if they were primarily a stage hunting team but they're a proper GC team so it will be tough to give everyone opportunities they deserve.

Groenewegen, Van Aert, Dekker, Kooij and now also Laporte. That's one ridiculous amount of sprint options that Jumbo will have next year. All of them but Dekker are under contract for 2023 too.
I think we shouldn't look at it as accumulation of sprinters, but building a classics squad around Van Aert. Laporte is a great addition (actually the greatest) to the team and can be used as a secondary option next to Wout in a lot of races.

Kudos to Laporte! He destroyed some of the world's best climbers like Yates x 2, Vlasov, Quintana, Almeida etc. on a 1 km @ 6% climb. Imagine what he could do on a tougher climb. The only two riders able to follow Laporte yesterday was Roglic and Van Aert and both of them just conceded and gave him an ovation instead of even trying to beat him in the sprint. Impressive stuff!

TRENDING THREADS