• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

LA's Lawyers -- What Is Their Game?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
647
0
0
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Double post, but here goes:

LOL, Lance's lawyer is now claiming the investigation is "un-American".

Well, Lance should "un-American" himself and move offshore....or run for governor....

:D

Next thing he'll be calling the investigators "liberals"

They should try and take the "Texas" out of their tactics.....
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
5
0
Visit site
anybody want to decide on who this rider/s are

“We understand that riders may be being offered sweetheart deals to change testimony that they have given in the past, under oath,” Daly said.

who gave testimony in the past in favour of LA and is now changing it????

and how did Daly find out?
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
anybody want to decide on who this rider/s are

“We understand that riders may be being offered sweetheart deals to change testimony that they have given in the past, under oath,” Daly said.

who gave testimony in the past in favour of LA and is now changing it????

and how did Daly find out?

There is also the question of whether this concerns the mystery rider, one of the riders issued a subpoena, or whether Daly is talking out of his @ss
 
Their game seems to me mainly to consist of quite extraordinary front-it-out arrogance.

Daly said: "The power of the federal government is being abused to pursue dated and discredited allegations, and that’s flat-out wrong, unethical, un-American, and a waste of taxpayer dollars."

If Armstrong has nothing to hide, then surely he too wants to see the defence of a straight-up righteous, ethical and American America - such as would be the result of an enquiry that exonerates him. Plus he gets to clear his name at the public expense instead of using dubious PR firms.

You don't get defensive about something you haven't done. Es verdad, no? :)
 
Mar 10, 2009
140
0
0
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Double post, but here goes:

LOL, Lance's lawyer is now claiming the investigation is "un-American".

Well, Lance should "un-American" himself and move offshore....or run for governor....

:D

well that makes sense to every right-wing red neck who is convinced that the US Government has been taken over by gay Muslim god-hating Communists:D
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
Yeah pretty much. Bit of synchronizing witness stories, helping others with their legal fees and dropping hints about future business possibilities if "everyone comes through this unscathed" is another possible strategy.

High risk maneuver, but LA appears to enjoy a little brinkmanship with the authorities.

True sign he's a sociopath.
 
May 9, 2009
638
0
0
Visit site
The "Un-American" Investigation!

*(To the mods -- if this topic is within any other thread, feel free to move/close... there is just so much on here it's hard to keep track!)


"Lance Armstrong’s lawyer Brian D. Daly has condemned the federal investigation of his client and his former US Postal Service team as “un-American and a waste of taxpayers’ money"." -- cyclingnews.com

Ha! Ooohhh! Why are lawyers so douchey!?! Ha!

"Un-American" to try and bust criminals?

Or does he mean "un-American and a waste of taxpayers’ money" in the fashion of illegal wars, lying presidents and politicians, bailing out fraudulent and criminal banks and corporations, etc. et al.

This makes me laugh, and I'm not even American!

I hope pharmboy and his douchey lawyers get their un-American a$$es handed to them.

Maybe he can bunk with Wesley Snipes! :D
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Steel4Ever said:
*(To the mods -- if this topic is within any other thread, feel free to move/close... there is just so much on here it's hard to keep track!)


"Lance Armstrong’s lawyer Brian D. Daly has condemned the federal investigation of his client and his former US Postal Service team as “un-American and a waste of taxpayers’ money"." -- cyclingnews.com

Ha! Ooohhh! Why are lawyers so douchey!?! Ha!

"Un-American" to try and bust criminals?

Or does he mean "un-American and a waste of taxpayers’ money" in the fashion of illegal wars, lying presidents and politicians, bailing out fraudulent and criminal banks and corporations, etc. et al.

This makes me laugh, and I'm not even American!

I hope pharmboy and his douchey lawyers get their un-American a$$es handed to them.

Maybe he can bunk with Wesley Snipes! :D

They are trying to get the teabaggers to take up the fight. All he needs to do is pay Sarah Palin to write his name on her hand and make a $200,000 speech (they both TOTALLY work it like that) about the abuse of taxpayer money and an American hero, and you will get ignorant people across the nation writing their congressmen. Pretty soon, we will get some press release or statement about how Armstrong has overcome his previous atheism, and has now come to Jesus. Heck, he might be a VP nom come 2012.
 
May 8, 2009
133
0
0
Visit site
ManInFull said:
The real question is how many ex Postal/Disco riders who have doped but not failed a test will confirm much of what Landis has claimed. If there are multiple riders who do this, then it will not matter what defense LA's attorneys use.

On the flip side, how many ex Postal/Disco (who have likely doped and not been caught) will deny what Landis and other former teammates are saying about doping within the team? I think we will have both. I think the feds will need more evidence than just testimony. They may have it or will get it though.
 
Parrot23 said:
Double post, but here goes:

LOL, Lance's lawyer is now claiming the investigation is "un-American".

Well, Lance should "un-American" himself and move offshore....or run for governor....

:D

Actually is very "American" to create these idols just to bring them down in a Roman-like public disgrace.

What matters here is that LA's lawyers are running out of ideas, and to bring the "un-american" resource at this stage of the investigations, speaks volumes of how critical/complicated the situation is turning into for him.....
 
Thoughtforfood said:
They are trying to get the teabaggers to take up the fight. All he needs to do is pay Sarah Palin to write his name on her hand and make a $200,000 speech (they both TOTALLY work it like that) about the abuse of taxpayer money and an American hero, and you will get ignorant people across the nation writing their congressmen. Pretty soon, we will get some press release or statement about how Armstrong has overcome his previous atheism, and has now come to Jesus. Heck, he might be a VP nom come 2012.

Don't put that in public - it'll give them ideas!

And charge LA £2m for it.
 
Mar 13, 2009
626
0
0
Visit site
ManInFull said:
Johnny Cochran, RIP.

The real question is how many ex Postal/Disco riders who have doped but not failed a test will confirm much of what Landis has claimed. If there are multiple riders who do this, then it will not matter what defense LA's attorneys use.

I don't think anything other riders do is directly related to the question of whether Lance doped.

I dipped.
 
Feb 21, 2010
1,007
0
0
Visit site
The things that Lance's Attys are saying indicate they really have no defense. There is zero confidence in their statements, no position of authority over the facts.
The current PR effort to date by Herman and Daly are so dreadful, so poor, they make the Landis PR from his positive look downright genius.
 
Feb 14, 2010
2,202
0
0
Visit site
The lawyers aren't even in the game yet. They're acting like really sucky marketing people. "Garbage in, garbage out?" Not genius. Trying to convince the public that USADA is pimping for the FDA to get guys to testify when a Federal subpoena does a much better job?

They complain about leaks, but I think they're envious of people who have any info whatsoever. If a former teammate spills his guts to investigators, he's way more likely to speak to the New York Times or Wall Street Journal under condition they remain anonymous than they are to mention it to anyone who would get back to Armstrong. Investigators can travel, so camping outside a Federal building watching for familiar faces wouldn't work.

Armstrong hasn't been charged with anything, so his lawyers have no right to discovery. Out of desperation and frustration they can toss out feeble claims about waste of taxpayers money, or Lance's unAmerican:rolleyes: But they're sitting there blind, and people prone to paranoia might think that everything is wiretapped, everyone is being watched, and everyone really is out to get them.

Armstrong doesn't know who to try to discredit, and can't afford to do it blindly and **** off someone who hasn't testified yet. There's no one to fight. It's a bunch of people talking about him behind his back where he can't hear them.

I live for the weekly leaks that reassure us that things are moving the right direction. It will get really exciting when they start coming from Europe, too, as other people involved are investigated.
 
theswordsman said:
I live for the weekly leaks that reassure us that things are moving the right direction. It will get really exciting when they start coming from Europe, too, as other people involved are investigated.

Steve Tilford wrote that the Landis grenade didn't get any press while he was visiting France. http://stevetilford.com/?p=5383 One anecdote. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions.

Some of the Cancer survivor's myth has worn off, but there's plenty of people buying the idiocy Lance's lawyers are spewing. The ensuing Armstrong NewSpeak based on the lawyers statements is stunning in the complexity required to simultaneously support doping as 'bad' and praise team Pharmstrong.

Otherwise, I agree that they are shooting in the dark.
 
Jun 20, 2010
181
0
0
Visit site
even if it ever makes it to a trial remember that the 12 chuckleheads sitting in the box won't be anyone with a serious amount of knowledge of procycling much less the apparent doping. THe court of public opinion isn't what really matters with most americans having such a short term memory. The only one that he has to worry about impressing is those 12.
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Armstrong doesn't know who to try to discredit, and can't afford to do it blindly and **** off someone who hasn't testified yet. There's no one to fight. It's a bunch of people talking about him behind his back where he can't hear them.

Payback is proving to be a b!tch, eh?
 
Jul 24, 2010
31
0
0
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Armstrong hasn't been charged with anything, so his lawyers have no right to discovery.

I think that's the key. The discovery process in a typical lawsuit is where each side gathers information through subpoenas or requests for records. The process is basically a fact-finding mission.

Since LA isn't charged, this investigation is quite different than a typical lawsuit. Therefore most of the issues people are speculating about may not be relevant to a federal investigation. I, however, am not sure about this.

For now, what LA's lawyer is doing is typical for any lawsuit. The first offensive or defensive act is to paint a rough picture of the case. The picture LA's lawyer is painting is LA as victim. This is common when one is accused of a wrongdoing. In the end, it means nothing. Just as hearsay means nothing. Ultimately, you need solid proof. If this case was tried in front of a jury, then hearsay could have an impact in that the lawyer could manipulate the testimony to favor his or her client. AFAIK, a fed investigation is much different and I doubt hearsay will mean much unless there is evidence to back the testimony up.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Steve Tilford wrote that the Landis grenade didn't get any press while he was visiting France. http://stevetilford.com/?p=5383 One anecdote. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions.

Some of the Cancer survivor's myth has worn off, but there's plenty of people buying the idiocy Lance's lawyers are spewing. The ensuing Armstrong NewSpeak based on the lawyers statements is stunning in the complexity required to simultaneously support doping as 'bad' and praise team Pharmstrong.

Otherwise, I agree that they are shooting in the dark.

On Steve Tilfords comments - they were more about the ABC documentary then Floyd's initial comments.

When the "emails' broke it did generate a lot of headlines and was well covered - including many publications that rarely cover cycling.

The reason it has died down somewhat is that in Europe what Floyd said confirms what most people had already believed.

Being European, I am somewhat surprised at the reaction (& coverage) of the NYT article - but I suppose this is in itself a defining moment, where a respected paper literally has it on their front page.
The "Armstrong Lies" piece in L'Equipe got large coverage in Europe (and was accepted) but little traction in the US, I think the opposite is happening here.
 

Latest posts