• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Last Rider to Test over 50%

When did the last test for a hematocrit greater than 50% occur? Armstrong's low hematocrit is being used to claim he could not be blood doping, but how often have we seen riders have a higher than 50% hematocrit during the last five years? It used to happen frequently after 1997, but not so much recently. Yet riders continue to get busted for EPO.

I remember Isidro Nozal in 2005. I cannot remember a rider more prominent than him on a first tier team, but I am probably forgetting someone.

EDIT: Holy Moly! I just looked up Nozal on Wikipedia and found this choice quote, "He has become somewhat famous for not showering during Grand Tours for fear that the water will soften his muscles." I am speechless.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
When did the last test for a hematocrit greater than 50% occur? Armstrong's low hematocrit is being used to claim he could not be blood doping, but how often have we seen riders have a higher than 50% hematocrit during the last five years? It used to happen frequently after 1997, but not so much recently. Yet rider continue to get busted for EPO.

+1 Good question. There may be more UCI exemptions. Or teams' internal testing is helping to "manage" levels. I wonder....

Vuelta a Colombia High Hematocrit cases

Here is the story:

Four riders excluded from the Vuelta a Colombia
By:Cycling NewsPublished: August 6, 2006, 00:00, Updated: April 20, 22:23Edition:First Edition Cycling News for August 6, 2006The medical inspectors at the 56th Vuelta a Colombia, which started today, have excluded four riders...

The medical inspectors at the 56th Vuelta a Colombia, which started today, have excluded four riders for having high haematocrits, after the entire field was tested before the race. The riders were Harvey Hernàndez (Frugos del Valle), Gerardo Rodrìguez (Colombia es Pasion), Paul Torres (Gobernaciòn del Zulia-Alcaldia de Cabimas) and Aldrin Salamanca (Loterìa del Tàchira- Banfoandes). They will not be able to race for 15 days, and will be subject to further controls before they can race again.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/four-riders-excluded-from-the-vuelta-a-colombia
These Colombian riders are farmers who ride their bikes. They live in the high mountains all the time. They have high hematorit to begin with. So if any of them injects EPO you can imagine what could happen. The numbers will sky rocket. The limit for hematocrit in La Vuelta a Colombia is 52% last time I checked. I don't know what it is now.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
a few Russians were either over 50, or too close to ride, in the Baby Giro this year. Was told by a rider, there were a great deal of controls, and more than usual for the Italian racing scene.

Can't remember Nozal in 2005, but the Tour had this one, back in 2004:-

Gorka Gonzalez out

Euskaltel-Euskadi hasn't gotten off to a good start in the Tour de France, after Gorka Gonzalez failed a blood test on Thursday morning. Gonzalez was the only one of the 189 riders tested between 7:20 and 9:30am who was declared "unfit to start" due to a high hematocrit. He will be forced out of competition for two weeks.

Euskaltel-Euskadi will now begin the Tour with just eight riders rather than bringing a reserve, a decision which could affect team leader Iban Mayo, particularly in the team time trial.

Funnily enough, I was having the same thought as Bro and then we have this thread.

Reminded me that many riders used to frequently test themselves to avoid being pulled by the vampires for the +50% threshold, because a lot of riders ended up with an extra 3 week holiday.

Now? Well it never happens, so either BPC is correct and the world is all sparkly clean, or the passport is the rider's best friend.
So, it's a question of whether you believe in fairy tales, or reality.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
remembered atleast one.

Paride Grillo for certain.

have an inkling on the elder Richeze.
and an ikling on Igor Astarloa, but not 100% sure on neither. Astarloa contravened the passport though, that I am certain.