• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Last WT-team to get a win // 2020 edition

Which World Tour-team will be the last to snatch a UCI-win in 2020?

• AG2R La Mondiale

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Astana Pro Team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bahrain-McLaren

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • CCC Team

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • EF Pro Cycling

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Groupama-FDJ

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Movistar Team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Team INEOS

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Team Sunweb

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • UAE-Team Emirates

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Deceuninck-QuickStep, Lotto-Soudal, Mitchelton-Scott, Trek-Segafredo, Cofidis and even NTT Pro Cycling and Israel Start-Up Nation are already out. But which World Tour-squad will have to wait the longest this season to crack open a bottle of champagne (based on Lotto-Soudal's alcohol rules, that is)?

Rules:
Same as in previous years. A WT-team that wins a race the following circuits is out of the competition: x.WT, x.Pro (former HC), x.1 or official championships. One day races, GC's, stages and TTT's are all included.

If a WT-rider is starting in a race where his team is not participating (as a member of national team, for example), his win does not count. This does not apply to championships, of course.

The results of the competition will be updated on a regular basis.

I sort of love the idea of Bora or Jumbo winning this, just because it would be so absurdly difficult to accomplish with their rosters. They’d have to fail deliberately.

INEOS, despite their incredible strength, is actually just about conceivable as a winner as they don’t have a real sprinter. Something weird could happen and the more obvious contenders could all fluke earlyish wins before INEOS big guns start firing. That is vanishingly unlikely to happen, but you can at least see a way for it to occur without the whole team going on strike or something.

I sort of love the idea of Bora or Jumbo winning this, just because it would be so absurdly difficult to accomplish with their rosters. They’d have to fail deliberately.

INEOS, despite their incredible strength, is actually just about conceivable as a winner as they don’t have a real sprinter. Something weird could happen and the more obvious contenders could all fluke earlyish wins before INEOS big guns start firing. That is vanishingly unlikely to happen, but you can at least see a way for it to occur without the whole team going on strike or something.

Surely theres a prologue or TT somewhere soon for Ineos or Jumbo to win. As for Bora it would be serious DS sacking level stuff to still be in this in a few months time ( Also funny as Bennett was the man to take DQ out in the first race

Reactions: Zinoviev Letter
Surely theres a prologue or TT somewhere soon for Ineos or Jumbo to win. As for Bora it would be serious DS sacking level stuff to still be in this in a few months time ( Also funny as Bennett was the man to take DQ out in the first race

I’m trying to imagine every DS at Bora having to explain to Ralph Denk how they somehow managed to get to April without Ackermann, Sagan, Schachmann or Kamna winning. They have obvious reliable winners in that team and a big bunch of guys who get the odd one.

It’s just as unlikely imagining Jumbo getting there, mind you. Both teams had over 20 wins more than INEOS last year. I’d guess that they are favourites to come 2 and 3 behind DQS in wins again this year.

Last edited:
LOL, imagining Bora not having a win come April is very funny and I'd hate having to try to explain that one.

I do not expect Astana to be as insanely good this year as they were last year, however, it'd be a shock if they don't have a win somewhere before the end of February.

It'd also be a surprise if Movistar doesn't have a win somewhere early in the season as well.

Last year it was launched on January 2nd.
True. In 2019 D*ck the Quick (fitting name) broke the protocol from the previous years which sparked a discussion that we always wait until we are down to 10 candidates.

As I said, not a big deal, especially since the 2 teams you left out are extremely unlikely to win but it would be kinda weird for a team to win that wasn't even in the poll.

Matthews usually has to get their first win of the season and he has started his season quite late for a while now. You would think they've learned...
Yeah, they have a bunch of good quality riders but not winners. Matthews is their only bet for consistent wins and even him is more top-3-5 material in most races, not first tier winner. I don't know what the purpose of their roster is.

Yeah, they have a bunch of good quality riders but not winners. Matthews is their only bet for consistent wins and even him is more top-3-5 material in most races, not first tier winner. I don't know what the purpose of their roster is.
Pretty young team with quite some 1st and 2nd year pros. Over half the riders are under 25. Only 2 riders over 30 yo. The team should be decent in the future.

I suppose Cees Bol and maybe Dainese can win a sprint in small races. Hirschi should be able to get some good results as well. He was already good last year.

Pretty young team with quite some 1st and 2nd year pros. Over half the riders are under 25. Only 2 riders over 30 yo. The team should be decent in the future.

I suppose Cees Bol and maybe Dainese can win a sprint in small races. Hirschi should be able to get some good results as well. He was already good last year.
You are right, but these are not winner's qualities, that's speak more about cheapiness of this team. That's why i choose them for this competition. Maybe in 2-3 years this young riders can win some races, but this year overall level of squad is bad.