• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Latest PED

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Just noticed the pic of the "author". Is it a condition of employment by Livestrong that if your female you must be a "Babe"? :):rolleyes:

The LAF staff in Austin pretty much looks like a sanctuary of former sorority girls now into their late 20's and early 30's. It is truly amazing.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
The stuff has the distinct whiff of Snake Oil to me. I doubt it's going to make any more difference to performance than those power balance bands.

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Deer antlers? Yes, deer antlers.
They harvest the so-called velvet antler (a soft coating that covers deer antlers) in New Zealand, freeze-dry it and then grind it into a powder. It then gets shipped to the United States, where it gets put into either capsules or liquid extracts that can become a simple mouth spray. You can buy it for $68 a bottle.

Latest PED gives sports deer-in-headlights look

Bath salt crystals. Yup. Crush them up and snort them. Undetectable. Greater than cocaine.

Seriously. Lavender is the one...

Look it up.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I want to know who first said "Hey, deer antlers. Let's grind 'em down and snort 'em." How do people get these ideas!??

Well i remember reading about the antlers as performance enhancers recently but also on my parents farm. You see the deer shed their antlers, but you hardly ever find any because other animals find them and eat them. I remember reading that there were alot of nutrients contained in the antlers and mice & squirrels (if i remember correctly) were the main culprits in devouring them.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Juicy McDrip said:
Bath salt crystals. Yup. Crush them up and snort them. Undetectable. Greater than cocaine.

Seriously. Lavender is the one...

Look it up.

Yeah they said it started in some place like Louisiana, with all the ephedrine regulations to cut down on crack some genius just started snorting common bath salts. Now they have a major problem. They made bath salts illegal but the people just but them in neighboring states. They say it causes serious hallucinations and the users become extremely violent. One sheriff had two deputies badly injured because the user thought that two devils were trying to kill him.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
MLB trying to curtail use of deer antler spray as steroid alternative
Baseball sent a warning to its major and minor league players last week that may sound odd, if not comical, but is a sign of these drug-testing times: stop ingesting deer antler spray.

Until the warning went out, baseball players, taking their cues from the body-building and NFL cultures, felt safe using a deer antler spray as an alternative to steroids with almost no risk of flunking a drug test.

Deer antlers? Yes, chemists have figured out that the velvet from immature deer antlers includes insulin-like growth factor, or IGF-1, which mediates the level of human growth hormone in the body, and is also banned by MLB and the World Anti-Doping Agency, among others, for its muscle-building and fat-cutting effects

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I want to know who first said "Hey, deer antlers. Let's grind 'em down and snort 'em." How do people get these ideas!??

You probably would be just as surprised if you read up the history of a lot of medical/pharmaceutical discoveries.

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
krebs303 said:
For the elite athlete, experts say it’s essentially a human growth hormone, one of the substances organized sports is trying to keep out. The difference here is deer antlers are natural, not synthetic, and properly discovering it in a test falls somewhere between extremely challenging to virtually impossible.

I don't know about that, it's something that could be included in the biological passport. IGF-1 levels are pretty static in an individual so it should be fairly easy to see if someone is abusing it. There are things that affect the level but I'm sure limits could be set.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
It also comes in a mousse (a moose! hahaha) that you can rub into your priv.... err... legs.

I might have made that up.

Edit:

It's funny how in every story posted in the US Press about this PED the "football" player (it's not football, there's only 1 guy who kicks the ball and that's ALL he does LOL) or baseball player and even the COACH in the accompanying picture is black/hispanic. I guess the anglo/anglophone factor (AAF?) applies in other sports as well as cycling, namely: the master race never dopes.

I'm puzzled why they're importing this from New Zealand. Do their deer produce magical velvet or something? I mean, it's not like there's a deer shortage in the US, and New Zealand is smaller than Nevada, so I doubt their deer population compares.

Mambo95 said:
Well I suppose it explains this guy.

tour_frame15.jpg

Maybe he's the new Dr Ferrari.
Nice catch.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
I'm puzzled why they're importing this from New Zealand. Do their deer produce magical velvet or something? I mean, it's not like there's a deer shortage in the US, and New Zealand is smaller than Nevada, so I doubt their deer population compares.

It's a bi-product of the deer farming industry. NZ is still about the only country where deer are farmed in significant numbers. There's nothing magical about the deer, which are an introduced species to NZ (and a pest in indigenous forests here). Tasty pests though.....mmm....bambi!

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I thought it was an Afrodisiac.

I paid some heli company in newzealand good money to shoot deer from the helicopter and harvest it myself!