• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Latest PED

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Deer antlers? Yes, deer antlers.
They harvest the so-called velvet antler (a soft coating that covers deer antlers) in New Zealand, freeze-dry it and then grind it into a powder. It then gets shipped to the United States, where it gets put into either capsules or liquid extracts that can become a simple mouth spray. You can buy it for $68 a bottle.

Latest PED gives sports deer-in-headlights look

Please, tell me thats a wind up?!:D

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Darryl Webster said:
Please, tell me thats a wind up?!:D

No looks like the real deal
"It’s “natural.” It’s easy – no messy needles. It’s secretive, no accomplices to shoot you up who can one day turn on you (right, Roger Clemens?). It’s effective, essentially HGH without the risk, because you probably aren’t getting caught."

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
No looks like the real deal
"It’s “natural.” It’s easy – no messy needles. It’s secretive, no accomplices to shoot you up who can one day turn on you (right, Roger Clemens?). It’s effective, essentially HGH without the risk, because you probably aren’t getting caught."

Oh dear...( no pun intended!) :D Santa`s gonna have to guard Rudolph more closely!:)

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Deer antlers? Yes, deer antlers.
They harvest the so-called velvet antler (a soft coating that covers deer antlers) in New Zealand, freeze-dry it and then grind it into a powder. It then gets shipped to the United States, where it gets put into either capsules or liquid extracts that can become a simple mouth spray. You can buy it for $68 a bottle.

Latest PED gives sports deer-in-headlights look

Swart inc?

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, a friend of mine had an uncle with a deer farm. We went there once for a visit. The uncle told us of a bit of a side business he was getting into (circa 1999-2000)... similar to krebs303 story, except the product was sold overseas (China, I think) as an aphrodisiac.

I'll let you make your own puns.

Bag_O_Wallet said:
Hmm, a friend of mine had an uncle with a deer farm. We went there once for a visit. The uncle told us of a bit of a side business he was getting into (circa 1999-2000)... similar to krebs303 story, except the product was sold overseas (China, I think) as an aphrodisiac.

I'll let you make your own puns.

When you said circa 1999-2000, I thought you were going to say circa 1,000 BC.

This is an OLD Chinese herbal medicine.

Fortunately, unlike Rhinos (horns) Tigers (bone) and Bears (gall bladders) and others, the deer aren't necessarily endangered yet as a result.

http://www.worldwildlife.org/what/globalmarkets/wildlifetrade/traditionalchinesemedicine.html

Dave.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Well I suppose it explains this guy.

tour_frame15.jpg

Maybe he's the new Dr Ferrari.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
When you said circa 1999-2000, I thought you were going to say circa 1,000 BC.

This is an OLD Chinese herbal medicine.

Fortunately, unlike Rhinos (horns) Tigers (bone) and Bears (gall bladders) and others, the deer aren't necessarily endangered yet as a result.

http://www.worldwildlife.org/what/globalmarkets/wildlifetrade/traditionalchinesemedicine.html

Dave.

Indeed. On a related note, it should be pretty easy to identify those using this performance enhancer.

Mar 16, 2009
Deer Industry New Zealand is very pleased to congratulate Julian Dean, New Zealand cyclist, on recording the best placing by a New Zealander in the professional world race championship for over a decade. The only New Zealander in the race, Julian finished 10th in the 256km race in Belguim on Sunday. Julian has been taking New Zealand deer antler velvet for about a year now and we are thrilled that he has made it part of his training regime.

Deer Velvet Antler
The Dietary Supplement

“It’s one of the proteins that is increased in human growth hormone … it’s considered performance-enhancing,” Danaceau said.

“It’s similar to HGH in that it aids in recovery. It helps build tissue, and strengthen tissue – more than you can ever do by training alone. Any preparation that is not naturally occurring is banned. Taking IGF-1 through deer antler is banned as well.”

Mar 16, 2009
Bag_O_Wallet said:
Indeed. On a related note, it should be pretty easy to identify those using this performance enhancer.

For the elite athlete, experts say it’s essentially a human growth hormone, one of the substances organized sports is trying to keep out. The difference here is deer antlers are natural, not synthetic, and properly discovering it in a test falls somewhere between extremely challenging to virtually impossible.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
For the elite athlete, experts say it’s essentially a human growth hormone, one of the substances organized sports is trying to keep out. The difference here is deer antlers are natural, not synthetic, and properly discovering it in a test falls somewhere between extremely challenging to virtually impossible.

I should have put a ";)" on that comment - as it was related to it being used as an aphrodisiac.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Deer Industry New Zealand is very pleased to congratulate Julian Dean, New Zealand cyclist, on recording the best placing by a New Zealander in the professional world race championship for over a decade. The only New Zealander in the race, Julian finished 10th in the 256km race in Belguim on Sunday. Julian has been taking New Zealand deer antler velvet for about a year now and we are thrilled that he has made it part of his training regime.

Deer Velvet Antler
The Dietary Supplement

“It’s one of the proteins that is increased in human growth hormone … it’s considered performance-enhancing,” Danaceau said.

“It’s similar to HGH in that it aids in recovery. It helps build tissue, and strengthen tissue – more than you can ever do by training alone. Any preparation that is not naturally occurring is banned. Taking IGF-1 through deer antler is banned as well.”

so Dean's a dirty doper? shame, i liked the guy

Mar 16, 2009
NFL Orders Raiders Head Coach Hue Jackson To End Ties With Company Linked To Banned Substance

“It’s considered performance-enhancing,” he said. “It’s similar to HGH in that it aids in recovery. It helps build tissue, and strengthen tissue – more than you can ever do by training alone. Any preparation that is not naturally occurring is banned. Taking IGF-1 through deer antler is banned as well.”

One recent study obtained by ThePostGame.com reports noticeable effects of velvet antler on athletic performance. The author of the study, Craig Broeder, former head of the Exercise Science program at East Tennessee State University, said it is under review by the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. Broeder tested the effects of velvet antler supplements on aerobic, anaerobic, and strength performance. He included 32 men who had a history of at least four years of strength training. Subjects were divided into two groups in a double-blinded, placebo-controlled study where they performed high intensity resistance training over 10 weeks. Half of the subjects were given 3,000mg of deer antler per day, with the other half receiving a sugar pill.

The results of the study showed several health benefits, including a reduction of body fat, an increase in body strength relative to body weight, and improvements in aerobic capacity. Most surprisingly, Broeder said, the athletes improved their cardiovascular performance without doing any cardiovascular activity.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:

Deer Velvet Antler
The Dietary Supplement

krebs303 said:

OK, WTF is going on here!?
Krebs, part of me is convinced you're making up all these websites and then posting links here just to make my head explode!

Julian Dean? This gets wackier by the moment. And I thought yesterday was full-on-crazy day. :eek:
By all means though, keep 'em comin' :)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:

That would place ethically fragile cyclists on the horns of a dilemma, no doubt.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site