• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Laurent Fignon died

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Séan Kelly live now in a few minutes.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/liveplayer2...mic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/radio1.smil,real,200

Will be on after 7pm news.So if you can handle cricket, yes, hurling and other difrént sporche , lisshen in.now

11 minutes of cycling, amazing, if we had no bad news it would have been three. Nicholas is quite often on this program, so if he wins obver the next few weeks , he'll get fifteen minutes live, is comediotic fellow.

I will put the podcast on tomorrow, if they do a relavent one.

Carl0880 said:
" I just learned the death of Laurent Fignon. I didn’t know him so much, and he didn’t know me much either. But for me he was a reference, like Bernard Hinault and Eddy Merckx. His judgement on France Television was sometimes hard but always fair. He had a stronger analysis than the others because he knew whereof he spoke. He loved cycling and that is why he could speak so well but it's also why he had the right to criticize, to criticize us the riders. In my childhood, far from France and Europe at the time of the USSR, Laurent Fignon was a name that we knew even if we didn’t know him."

Posted by Vinokourov on his FB today

Very good and honest post from Vino.

The picture of Fignon sitting, dazed and confused, in the middle of the road next to his bicycle after breaking his crank on a solo break, in the 82 Paris Tours has always been the image that comes to mind when his name is mentioned. The depth of conflicted emotion and bewilderment in that photo told a story well beyond words, and said a lot about the man.

Now it will forever remain my lasting image of a cycling great.

Very sad...

fignon.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
One of the great stylists on a bike - and the most incisive and insightful commentator off it. Even with his voice broken by illness he was still the only voice worth listening to.

Repose en paix, Champion

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
He was a great champion. Not many riders have won 3 grand tours. It could have been 4. He was French national champ when the French ruled cycling. MSR twice in a row.

LeMond was right. If not for his injuries, he would have been so much better.

Le Professeur will be missed.

The VeloNews pundits are at it again. This is the first comment posted to the Fignon story: “As an aside, no disrespect to Mr. Fignon - given the information he revealed regarding his use of performance enhancing substances, Lemond's words seem at least somewhat at odds with his general tone over the last decade. Also the fact of his PED use contrasted with Lemond's performances against him doesn't seem to raise the same sort of suspicions and allegations about Lemond as it does when current-day cyclists triumph over admitted dopers. Should it? Any thoughts?”

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
When I think of the word 'panache' I have a wonderful memory of Fignon sitting up and leaning way back on his bike throwing his arms straight in the air, crossing the line with a wide smile.
It was Milan San Remo - 1988.

Thank you Laurent for reminding me of how wonderful this sport is.

Darryl Webster said:
Very sad news. Always had a soft spot for "The Professor" and had the priviledge of being in the same race once , the 88 Nissan Tour Of Ireland.
Who didnt feel for him when he lost the TDF to Greg Lemond by just 8 seconds thanks to Greg`s superior aquipment choice.
For a Parisian it must have been devestating.
RIP Laurent.
Darryl - I was at that Nissan, and actually you did something that Laurent didn't - you stopped and signed an autograph.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
For some reason this really hit me hard. I was rooting for Greg all the way that Tour. Fignon was the opposition you love to hate. Like the Yankees (by example). I took Road Cycling serious from that moment forward and he was part of the reason.

RIP. Great memories. Seems like an eternity ago but really his era is not that far back... I can remember exactly where I was when I read the news about Greg's narrow win and exactly where I was when it was televised later.

Fignon's viable disappointment is a testament to what a true warrior of a competitor as a pro athlete he was. Some later said he was bitter. I just call it competitive and it is probably the most significant lasting Sports memory in my life

It is odd when suddenly Professional Athletes in your age bracket +- a few years start passing away.

As a fan and an avid participant in any sport, the pros in your own generation have a different meaning than the younger ones as you age. For me anyway.

This is sad and let me say that I am thankful for the memories and in turn thankful for my health

I am sorry he passed as he did and condolences to the family

RIP

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
...I've admired a lot of cyclists...but Monsieur Fignon was my rave fave...in my mind his second Tour victory stands as one the most impressive wins of all time...as someone else in this thread mentioned, he actually attacked when in yellow...

...may the wind be always at your back...RIP dear sir...

Cheers

blutto

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Ah, I remember you: you're the guy who lost the Tour by eight seconds."
Fignon : "No monsieur, I'm the guy who won it twice."

Ah that's a perfect way to sum him up. Easy to remember the 8 second story but he won it twice by the age of 24. Maybe more could emulate this feat if they had the courage of their convictions, which he certainly did.

He was my hero and the hero for many bespectacled cyclists! :)

RIP Laurent, Chapeau!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
The VeloNews pundits are at it again. This is the first comment posted to the Fignon story: “As an aside, no disrespect to Mr. Fignon - given the information he revealed regarding his use of performance enhancing substances, Lemond's words seem at least somewhat at odds with his general tone over the last decade. Also the fact of his PED use contrasted with Lemond's performances against him doesn't seem to raise the same sort of suspicions and allegations about Lemond as it does when current-day cyclists triumph over admitted dopers. Should it? Any thoughts?”

LeMond is holding his cards and thinking for once, thank goodness!

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Signor Corleone

Christophe said:
The passing of a giant. Here's a taste of his fighting spirit, from 1989 Worlds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJSgzHTRg38

Wonderful racing, I remember it as though it was yesterday.
I watched the Tour this year on France2 and France3, Laurent was co commentating.
Some days he had to rest, then the other Laurent, Jalabert, took over for him.
How insipid much of todays racing seems, by comparison.
He was a great Champion, misunderstood by many, but I believe he mellowed in later years.

RIP. ALLEZ LAURENT!!!