• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour '18 stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice > Alpe d'Huez 175k

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is going to win the stage?

• Chris Froome

Votes: 46 41.8%
  • Geraint Thomas

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Tom Dumoulin

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Romain Bardet

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Nairo Quintana

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Primoz Roglic

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Mikel Landa

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Someone else

Votes: 11 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Le Tour '18 stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice > Alpe d'Huez

Leinster said:
Scarponi said:
A sprint amongst 6 riders and it would have been 7 with Nibali is bloody terrible for a MTF,
Especially when there are so few. It's a bad your when the biggest gaps have been the TTT and crashes on flat stages

God forbid the result of a 5+ hour sporting event should be decided in the last action of the contest. Much better to know the winner with 10-20 minutes of competition remaining.
Correct, I 100% expect to see a blistering attack and the other six riders all over the mountain. Rather then that

Scarponi said:
Leinster said:
Scarponi said:
A sprint amongst 6 riders and it would have been 7 with Nibali is bloody terrible for a MTF,
Especially when there are so few. It's a bad your when the biggest gaps have been the TTT and crashes on flat stages

God forbid the result of a 5+ hour sporting event should be decided in the last action of the contest. Much better to know the winner with 10-20 minutes of competition remaining.
Correct, I 100% expect to see a blistering attack and the other six riders all over the mountain. Rather then that
I, on the other hand, am quite happy to see that no rider is so much stronger than the rest that one blistering attack will leave riders all over the mountain.

tobydawq said:
Screecher said:
skippo12 said:
Greipel, Sieberg and Aldag all mentioned that other riders/teams did a lot shady things to stay inside the time limit but refused to call names. Greipel told the German TV crew that riders were holding on to team cars on the climbs while he refused to do the same. I really hope that some fans have footage and expose the teams + riders.
I'd bet it was Démare.

Certainly. He was very far back early on the stage according to the live tracker and don't left his teammates emphatically.
100%. We all saw he was one of the very first to drop on our tv screens, and I think only Gallopin dropped earlier. I was also following the livetracker, and he and Sinkeldam were the only ones just in front of the Greipel/Groenewegen group, but far, far behind. I'm supposed to believe this guy, who is far from his best shape, rode from grupetto to grupetto while making the time cut quite comfortably? What a joke.

DNP-Old said:
tobydawq said:
Screecher said:
skippo12 said:
Greipel, Sieberg and Aldag all mentioned that other riders/teams did a lot shady things to stay inside the time limit but refused to call names. Greipel told the German TV crew that riders were holding on to team cars on the climbs while he refused to do the same. I really hope that some fans have footage and expose the teams + riders.
I'd bet it was Démare.

Certainly. He was very far back early on the stage according to the live tracker and don't left his teammates emphatically.
100%. We all saw he was one of the very first to drop on our tv screens, and I think only Gallopin dropped earlier. I was also following the livetracker, and he and Sinkeldam were the only ones just in front of the Greipel/Groenewegen group, but far, far behind. I'm supposed to believe this guy, who is far from his best shape, rode from grupetto to grupetto while making the time cut quite comfortably? What a joke.
Wouildn't surprise me the slightest, no way Démare only used 34 minutes more than the best on such a stage. He has been climbing downright horrible and yes, has a little history.

34 Big Photos from Stage 12 (descriptions to come) — corvos/aso/reuters
http://www.steephill.tv/2018/tour-de-france/photos/stage-12/

244-20180719TDF2024.jpg

257-20180719TDF0003.jpg

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Leinster said:
Scarponi said:
Leinster said:
Scarponi said:

I, on the other hand, am quite happy to see that no rider is so much stronger than the rest that one blistering attack will leave riders all over the mountain.
Except that it was obvious two riders - one of whom won the stage - were clearly superior to everybody else

franic said:
Leinster said:
Scarponi said:
Leinster said:
Scarponi said:

Except that it was obvious two riders - one of whom won the stage - were clearly superior to everybody else
I don't think Dumoulin was clearly superior to Froome to be honest.

franic said:
Leinster said:
Scarponi said:
Leinster said:
Scarponi said:

Not so much stronger that they could put a decent gap into any of the others, though.

Dan Martin said afterwards that after he lost contact, he hadn't realized how strong the headwind was, so he started losing time even quicker than he thought when he let go. So that's probably a significant factor in why nobody could make their attacks stick for very long.

TRENDING THREADS