• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour '19 stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 126km

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
houtdffan said:
luckyboy said:
Tomorrow's stage looks like it will be shortened due to landslides. No Cormet de Roselend. Maybe only 60km stage and only the climb to Val Thorens.

could they reroute and do the big Madeleine instead? Similar to how the 2015 stage to ADH was rerouted to include Croix de Fer instead of Galiber?

No, confirmed just a 59km stage with the final climb.

And suddenly RCS people seem super creative with their reroutes.

Carols said:
jaylew said:
Carols said:
Honeslty, it feels like the luckiest rider is in yellow right now. I know Bernal did look super strong both yesterday and today. But if I remember correctly the very same rider who got screwed the most today, Kruijswijk had a huge lead in the stage to Alpe d'Huez last year with 36kms to go, yet ended up losing time to Geraint Thomas in that stage.

This. There was a Long Way to go. Nothing says he'd still be there at the end. Tomorrow if he goes out and wins the stage dropping everyone, he'll have proved best. Otherwise he's just the Luckiest IMO.
He's done that multiple times now. And lucky over who? The guy who he put 2 minutes into on just one climb today, the guy who he's put over 2:30 on in 4 mountain stages, or his teammate?

He's 22 years old. Who knows if he could ride 35km on the flat and get over the last climb holding his lead on the 21st day of a GT? I know he's never done it before!
There was only around 10k of flat and he had Yates to help who would have wanted the stage win. The chasing group only had a couple of guys who would have worked so I doubt if they would have brought back much, if any before the climb. Anyway, we'll never know but I have no problem with Bernal winning since he's been the strongest rider overall. I do hope Alaphilippe can hang on to the podium but it doesn't look good.

roundabout said:
jaylew said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Valv.Piti said:
Think critics are about making the race boring (not necessarily dominance) and clinic stuff. I think everybody wants to see the best rider win in the yellow jersey tomorrow, that just feels right after today.
Unfortunately, the best rider climbed off and got into his team car today.
Not even close

Elaborate.
Do I need to? :p

jaylew said:
roundabout said:
jaylew said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Valv.Piti said:
Think critics are about making the race boring (not necessarily dominance) and clinic stuff. I think everybody wants to see the best rider win in the yellow jersey tomorrow, that just feels right after today.
Unfortunately, the best rider climbed off and got into his team car today.
Not even close

Elaborate.
Do I need to? :p

Well, yes. I am curious how it's 'not even close'.

Pricey_sky said:
houtdffan said:
luckyboy said:
Tomorrow's stage looks like it will be shortened due to landslides. No Cormet de Roselend. Maybe only 60km stage and only the climb to Val Thorens.

could they reroute and do the big Madeleine instead? Similar to how the 2015 stage to ADH was rerouted to include Croix de Fer instead of Galiber?

Really? Wow. Do you have a link? Still don't think Ala can hang on to the podium but you never know. This will likely hurt Bardet's KOM chances too. Could wind up with no Frenchmen in jerseys or on the podium which would be a bit of a shame after the great Tour they've had.

jaylew said:
Pricey_sky said:
houtdffan said:
luckyboy said:

Really? Wow. Do you have a link? Still don't think Ala can hang on to the podium but you never know. This will likely hurt Bardet's KOM chances too. Could wind up with no Frenchmen in jerseys or on the podium which would be a bit of a shame after the great Tour they've had.

Official TDF twitter has confirmed 59km. Will be a fast stage for sure..

jaylew said:
Carols said:
jaylew said:
Carols said:
Honeslty, it feels like the luckiest rider is in yellow right now. I know Bernal did look super strong both yesterday and today. But if I remember correctly the very same rider who got screwed the most today, Kruijswijk had a huge lead in the stage to Alpe d'Huez last year with 36kms to go, yet ended up losing time to Geraint Thomas in that stage.

This. There was a Long Way to go. Nothing says he'd still be there at the end. Tomorrow if he goes out and wins the stage dropping everyone, he'll have proved best. Otherwise he's just the Luckiest IMO.

He's done that multiple times now.
And lucky over who? The guy who he put 2 minutes into on just one climb today, the guy who he's put over 2:30 on in 4 mountain stages, or his teammate?

He's 22 years old. Who knows if he could ride 35km on the flat and get over the last climb holding his lead on the 21st day of a GT? I know he's never done it before!

There was only around 10k of flat and he had Yates to help who would have wanted the stage win. The chasing group only had a couple of guys who would have worked so I doubt if they would have brought back much, if any before the climb. Anyway, we'll never know but I have no problem with Bernal winning since he's been the strongest rider overall. I do hope Alaphilippe can hang on to the podium but it doesn't look good.

See bolded.
And just how many stages has he dropped everyone and won? None that I've seen. Unless you're counting the cancelled one today he's won Zero. He hasn't even podiumed a stage.

Pricey_sky said:
houtdffan said:
luckyboy said:

Well I guess they can just crown Bernal and be done with it :(. What a Sucky end to what was a good race up until today.

What are the odds? So many climbs you could do on a route from Albertville to Val Thorens and the one they chose has a landslide the day before. Roseland isn't even the highest. Suppose it's too late now to organise new road closures in the mountains (there are two roads along the valley from Albertville to Moutiers and probably little danger either will be affected by the weather).

roundabout said:
Jungle Cycle said:
is it impossible to climb Thorens 2x??

Last 20km approximately is only one road, but it's possible to make a circuit out of the early part.
That would be pretty gimmicky. How about climbing Grand Naves before Valmorel? Or, even better, going to La Chambre and climbing Madeleine?

Grand Naves:
Grand-Naves1-300x225.jpg

The quality is bad so here is the website: http://www.alpes4ever.com/france/savoie/les-plus-de-1500-m/grand-naves/

Re: Le Tour '19 stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 1

This tour went from asolutely epic on the top of the Iseran to complete farce within a few hours. Bernal is now pretty much the tour winner and although he absolutely deserves it, it just doesn't feel right. Instead of the big 6 men battle for the win in the Alps we basically got no battle at all. Let's hope Val Thorens will be entertaining (at least the climb is massively long so it's hard to find a single climb where as much could happen as on this one) but I'm pretty sure the only thing that is gonna happen is Alaphilippe losing his podium. Such a pity what has happened to this amazing tour.

Re: Le Tour '19 stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 1

Gigs_98 said:
This tour went from asolutely epic on the top of the Iseran to complete farce within a few hours. Bernal is now pretty much the tour winner and although he absolutely deserves it, it just doesn't feel right. Instead of the big 6 men battle for the win in the Alps we basically got no battle at all.
How does it not feel right? Bernal clearly was the best so far. The battles took place on Galibier and Iseran and he won them both. Tomorrow will be another one.

And by the way, if passive racing a la Jumbo gets kicked in the ass, all the better.

TRENDING THREADS