• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour 2018 stage 14: Saint-Paul-3-Ch. > Mende 188 km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will the time gap between 1st and 5th in GC change? (Currently 2' 46'')

• Yes, the time gap between 1st and 5th in GC will GROW with more than 20 seconds (3'06'' or higher)

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Yes, the time gap between 1st and 5th in GC will GROW with less than 20 seconds (between 2'47'' and

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Yes, the time gap between 1st and 5th in GC will be REDUCED with more than 20 seconds (2'26'' or les

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Yes, the time gap between 1st and 5th in GC will be REDUCED with less than 20 seconds (between 2'27'

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • No, status quo will prevail (time gap between 1st and 5th in GC will remain at 2'46''

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GC:
DipF2zwXcAAB0Cy.jpg:large

I find this as a kinda funny/interesting situation. The top 4 TT riders and the 4 with the biggest question mark are thee leaders and the strongest at the moment.. But Thomas and Roglic are yet to prove that they can keep it up 3 weeks and Froome and Dumoulin can still be hit by the Giro.
Shame that ASO didnt make a proper mountain stage it the 3rd week.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Pricey_sky said:
Some sort of liquid was thrown at Froome up the final climb, but it ended up hitting Bardet in the face who was behind him.

Copeland said "'Don’t stay behind Froome, it’s dangerous". Guess he was right.

Im sure Froome wouldn’t mind if everyone started giving him a few metres gap.

Would be ironic if it was something very unpleasant thrown by a Frenchman and it landed in the face of their big GC hope. Hopefully the police catch up with the culprit.

Koronin said:
Salvarani said:
Rollthedice said:
Guess Movistar needs a couple more leaders.

Or simply better form and shape. Always doom and gloom on here.

Or a healthy Landa? They knew coming into the Tour Valverde had no intention on having any kind of form for this race. He's made it very clear that it's not one of his goals and that his plan all along was to save his 2nd peak for the Vuelta/Worlds combo at the end of the season instead of doing his normal 3 peaks for a season.

Why did I get three sentences about Valverde from my post?

Quintana obivously dont have the form and shape. Landas form and shape obviously took a hit from his crash and Valverde I think we all expected to be a little better at least.

So what was wrong with what I said lol. They simply not at their best... sometimes you win and some you lose. I expect Movistar to bounce back in the Vuelta.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

YavorD said:
I find this as a kinda funny/interesting situation. The top 4 TT riders and the 4 with the biggest question mark are thee leaders and the strongest at the moment.. But Thomas and Roglic are yet to prove that they can keep it up 3 weeks and Froome and Dumoulin can still be hit by the Giro.
They should start thinking about dropping Dumo, otherwise they are risking a lot with the final TT

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
GC riders:

Roglic
Froome, Dumoulin, Thomas +8
Quintana +18
Kruijswijk, Bardet +22
Zakarin +32
Valverde, Fuglsang, Landa +37
Jungels +52
Martin +1'51

Looks like Zakarin is on the rise, it is coming down to the nitty gritty. It's too bad that he lost so much on the Alpe. I think he can challenge for a stage in the Pyrenees. But the overall tour profile just doesn't suit him.

franic said:
YavorD said:
They should start thinking about dropping Dumo, otherwise they are risking a lot with the final TT

It's not for lack of trying.

franic said:
YavorD said:
I think not. Thomas lost '50 to Dumoulin, while being injured, in the Giro 2017 TT.

If he's fit he probably won't even lose 10/20 seconds. If the standings are like this going into the TT then Thomas wins the TDF. Froome might have to worry about his 2nd place though. Both Roglic and Dumo are better

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

movingtarget said:
franic said:
YavorD said:

It's not for lack of trying.
I think G could have gained more if he stopped caring about Froomey

Salvarani said:
Koronin said:
Salvarani said:
Rollthedice said:

Or a healthy Landa? They knew coming into the Tour Valverde had no intention on having any kind of form for this race. He's made it very clear that it's not one of his goals and that his plan all along was to save his 2nd peak for the Vuelta/Worlds combo at the end of the season instead of doing his normal 3 peaks for a season.

Quintana obivously dont have the form and shape. Landas form and shape obviously took a hit from his crash and Valverde I think we all expected to be a little better at least.

So what was wrong with what I said lol. They simply not at their best... sometimes you win and some you lose. I expect Movistar to bounce back in the Vuelta.

Without the crash Landa would be up there. His form is fine, his back is another story. He apparently said after the stage it's getting worse not better. Add to that it seems that the team has no idea what it's doing either.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Dekker_Tifosi said:
franic said:
YavorD said:
I think not. Thomas lost '50 to Dumoulin, while being injured, in the Giro 2017 TT.

If he's fit he probably won't even lose 10/20 seconds. If the standings are like this going into the TT then Thomas wins the TDF. Froome might have to worry about his 2nd place though. Both Roglic and Dumo are better
I was specifically talking about Froome, believe G when he says that he races for his captain. What I want to say is that it's time for Sky to decide whether to support G or Froome, because Dumo can be very dangerous in the end.

Re:

YavorD said:
The stage to Laruns is pretty hard. I generally agree though that this is a weird situation. There could be a lot of cracking and riders making big jumps forward in the third week. Looking at you mikel

Koronin said:
Salvarani said:
Koronin said:
Salvarani said:
Rollthedice said:

Without the crash Landa would be up there. His form is fine, his back is another story. He apparently said after the stage it's getting worse not better. Add to that it seems that the team has no idea what it's doing either.

Well, being unhealthy affects the form. If you just wanted to quote me to say he that he is not healthy, and that would be the correct statement, you wasted your time.

Not disagreeing with the other things since I pointed that out too

franic said:
YavorD said:

Thomas won’t lose 1m 50 in that TT, it’s Dumoulin who needs to pull out time. He only put 13s into Froome in the slightly longer Giro TT, and trails him by 11s.

Obviously if Thomas cracks then Froome does need a few seconds.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

RedheadDane said:
Rollthedice said:
So it's between a track rider, a sick man, a former ski jumper and a Dutch guy named Dumoulin.

So, you're saying that Dutch guys named Dumoulin are kinda unusual for being GT contenders?
Not unusual, but having G, Tom and Froome reminds us of the glorious age when Riis, Ullrich, and Virenque were contending the Tour. At least from physical appearence

TRENDING THREADS