• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour 2018 stage 15: Millau - Carcassonne 181,5 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Koronin said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Oh, now that the off-topic rest day talk has started anyway:

I just realised, that the only uphill finish left, is the 65 k stage

The two others both end down hill (and I completely forgot the sprinters stage to Pau :D)

As good as SKY are going down hill, any serious contender needs to attack early from now on - 2 k from the top doesn't work anymore - with time gaps being what they are.

Especially Bardet, Landa, Kruijswijk and Quintana, who all stand to lose additional time to the top 4, on the TT, need to plan attacks further out now, or they never get close to the podium.

With Landa a lot will depend on how his back is doing. I think Kruijskwijk is protecting/helping Rolgic.

Yeah, you are probably right

Though, the best way to protect Roglic, is being out in front.

- and yep, I know, wishful thinking ;)

I'd like to see Kruijskwijk got out on the attack again on Tuesday like he did on the Alpe d'Huez stage. However again we have another descent finish. It seems if Landa's back is still bad Valverde may stay with him to try to get him through the stage.

Re:

tobydawq said:
A little tip if some of you want to absolutely not be able to follow what's happening in the race: Go to the race.

I'm currently in France to follow the race as a spectator and today I walked up to somewhere a little less than half-way up the category 1 climb. There was absolutely no signal for my telephone, and the only things I could see was that Valgren was putting pressure on, Sagan had been dropped, Dan Martin had made a sense-less attack, Sky didn't care and Démare didn't hold on to a car.

Then I had to walk all the way down the climb to finally get a signal and find out that a Dane had won a TdF stage for the first time in nine years. Quite a bummer not being able to follow that. I should just have gone to Carcassonne instead...

Hope your having fun, even without cell service in some areas.

Re:

tobydawq said:
A little tip if some of you want to absolutely not be able to follow what's happening in the race: Go to the race.

I'm currently in France to follow the race as a spectator and today I walked up to somewhere a little less than half-way up the category 1 climb. There was absolutely no signal for my telephone, and the only things I could see was that Valgren was putting pressure on, Sagan had been dropped, Dan Martin had made a sense-less attack, Sky didn't care and Démare didn't hold on to a car.

Then I had to walk all the way down the climb to finally get a signal and find out that a Dane had won a TdF stage for the first time in nine years. Quite a bummer not being able to follow that. I should just have gone to Carcassonne instead...
Lmao, you make it sound like going to TdF is the dirt worst. :D

Been to TdF two times and it has been amazing both times. Hope you at least got to enjoy it just a bit.

Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:

Been to TdF two times and it has been amazing both times. Hope you at least got to enjoy it just a bit.

It was a bit of a let-down today to be honest but I don't fear the Pyrenees will be the same and I'm looking very much forward to that :D

I forgot that to tell that on my upwards walk I had to jump for my life several times because half of the cars in the caravan apparently had to drive at the absolute left-most side of the road!

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:

It was a bit of a let-down today to be honest but I don't fear the Pyrenees will be the same and I'm looking very much forward to that :D

I forgot that to tell that on my upwards walk I had to jump for my life several times because half of the cars in the caravan apparently had to drive at the absolute left-most side of the road!

Interesting. Funny. And good luck with the rest. :)

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
I think today was a missed opportunity, for some of the guys set back in the GC.

Martins attack could have worked, if he had gone away from the bottom of Pic de Nore, where it is steepest, and he then had 2 guys in the break waiting for him, half way up the climb, where the percentages drop.

Fuglsang could have done the same.

Obviously, in hindsight, Corts win is more valuable, than possibly climbing to 7th or 8th on the GC, but both Martin and Fuglsang taking 2-3 of minutes today, could have put them back in podium contention.

I think that was absolutely possible - Martin put a minute into Sky on half the climb, all by himself, had that been him and Fuglsang, with 3-4 of their teammates waiting half way up, they could have made stuff happen

It seems Fuglsang lacks courage, and Martin lacks a plan..... or maybe, it's a DS problem in both instances, with leading DSs, who are both very light on experience, in managing a GC contender in the Tour?

I miss Riis as a DS - he always made the most elaborate plans.... they didn't always work, but they always made for good racing :)
As great as your plan is, it assumes that Sky would have reacted the same to Martin’s attack if he had gone with Fuglsang, or if Rory Sutherland had been in the break to sit up, or if the gap had gone out to 2 minutes by the summit.

Danskebjerge said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:

Interesting. Funny. And good luck with the rest. :)

Thanks (also to Koronin!) :)

Sky's statement on Moscon's expulsion -
https://www.teamsky.com/article/team-sky-statement-gianni-moscon
Team Sky Team Principal, Sir Dave Brailsford, said: “We support and accept the decision by the race organisers to exclude Gianni Moscon from the Tour de France.
"Gianni is desperately disappointed in his behaviour and knows that he has let himself, the Team and the race down.

"We will address this incident with Gianni once the Tour is complete and decide then if any further action should be taken.

"I would like to offer my sincere apologies to both Elie Gesbert and Team Fortuneo Samsic for this unacceptable incident."

Team Sky will be making no further comment at this time.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:

But don't you think, that next time around, you will be better prepared, and select spots on the route that work for you?

Leinster said:
Broccolidwarf said:
I think today was a missed opportunity, for some of the guys set back in the GC.

Martins attack could have worked, if he had gone away from the bottom of Pic de Nore, where it is steepest, and he then had 2 guys in the break waiting for him, half way up the climb, where the percentages drop.

Fuglsang could have done the same.

Obviously, in hindsight, Corts win is more valuable, than possibly climbing to 7th or 8th on the GC, but both Martin and Fuglsang taking 2-3 of minutes today, could have put them back in podium contention.

I think that was absolutely possible - Martin put a minute into Sky on half the climb, all by himself, had that been him and Fuglsang, with 3-4 of their teammates waiting half way up, they could have made stuff happen

It seems Fuglsang lacks courage, and Martin lacks a plan..... or maybe, it's a DS problem in both instances, with leading DSs, who are both very light on experience, in managing a GC contender in the Tour?

I miss Riis as a DS - he always made the most elaborate plans.... they didn't always work, but they always made for good racing :)
As great as your plan is, it assumes that Sky would have reacted the same to Martin’s attack if he had gone with Fuglsang, or if Rory Sutherland had been in the break to sit up, or if the gap had gone out to 2 minutes by the summit.

Why would they react differently? - the gap is about the same, and neither is a threat in the TT.

Either way, the point is to at least try, especially with a rest day coming up..... not trying is admitting defeat.

Koronin said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Koronin said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Oh, now that the off-topic rest day talk has started anyway:

I just realised, that the only uphill finish left, is the 65 k stage

The two others both end down hill (and I completely forgot the sprinters stage to Pau :D)

As good as SKY are going down hill, any serious contender needs to attack early from now on - 2 k from the top doesn't work anymore - with time gaps being what they are.

Especially Bardet, Landa, Kruijswijk and Quintana, who all stand to lose additional time to the top 4, on the TT, need to plan attacks further out now, or they never get close to the podium.

With Landa a lot will depend on how his back is doing. I think Kruijskwijk is protecting/helping Rolgic.

Yeah, you are probably right

Though, the best way to protect Roglic, is being out in front.

- and yep, I know, wishful thinking ;)

I'd like to see Kruijskwijk got out on the attack again on Tuesday like he did on the Alpe d'Huez stage. However again we have another descent finish. It seems if Landa's back is still bad Valverde may stay with him to try to get him through the stage.

Valgren hinted at Fuglsang having a go on tuesday, in his exit interview with danish TV today.

The wording was something like "let's see if we can make it 3 in a row with Jacob".

To me that would suggest he will either try to make it into the break, or they believe no break will be allowed long enough rope, to make it to the finish.

Broccolidwarf said:
Knutsen said:
Koronin said:
...but for the other teams they should have had better plans.

Just make the plans and hit the execute-button. Easy-peasy.

No, but at least attempt it

Show some courage

Light up the race

Make the fans love you

It is beyond doubt, that on the big mountain stages, SKY is completely dominating everyone, with 5-6 riders still there, when every domestique has been dropped, and the other teams only have their captains left (if you count Valverde a captain).

So, use the other terrain - at least try it - instead of sitting behind the SKY train like beat dogs.

Nothing is worse, than watching a professional athlete protect a 7th or 9th or 12th spot, instead of possibly bombing out, going for the podium.

It's a rest day tomorrow - and nobody wanted to try anything, except for Martin, in an ill conceived, doomed-to-fail, one-man break?

´"Trump voice on":

SAD

"Trump voice off"

Sky can win this tour by pulling Geraint Thomas to Paris on a throne. (I could be wrong, but Geraint Thomas doesn't strike me as a rider who is best served by cutthroat racing between the Alps and the start of week 3.) So, that's what they did yesterday, illustrated by Sky making barrage as soon as the breakaway left, LTD having another accidental breakaway and the train arriving 18 minutes after the stage winner. They managed to lull the peloton to sleep.

Today Moscon even tried to beat the peloton into submission, Sky made barrage again, showed
overdone resect for sanitary needs and if it weren't for Martin getting bored the train pulling Geraint Thomas would have arrived way more than 15 minutes past Cort.

If Geraint Thomas wins this tour, these 3 rest days for the price of one will have played a large part.

Was that Sagan just behind the Moscon punch-throwing incident? If so, Moscon could have unintentionally seen the green jersey out of the race.

Sky's (at least public) reaction was unusually contrite for them. They apparently protested innocence until video evidence was produced and still then claimed no collusion,I mean contact. The unusual public apology will be down to the fact that they have bigger GC fish to fry at the moment and don't need any more PR problems.