• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour 2018 stage 17: BDL to Saint-Lary-Soulan 65k

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Bolder said:
MikeTichondrius said:
IndianCyclist said:
Wasn't Movistar supposed to make this stage hard???

Logic dictates Movistar is supposed to do a lot of things. They rarely deliver.

Yep. The lesson so far: 2 leaders (Sky) good, 3 leaders (Movistar) bad.
Not sure it's anything to do with the numbers, it's about the quality. If Movistar had a leader who was stronger than Sky's two, then I'm sure they would be animating a lot more. But it's pretty clear that Quintana, Landa and especially Valverde, are nowhere near good enough right now to challenge for the overall.

With the possible exception of the first week of 2014 (before Froome and then Contador crashed out), when was the last moment in TDF history that you didn't know who (or at least which team) was going to win the Tour?

I think it was at some point of the second Galibier ascent in 2011.

burning said:
Abarca sent Valverde to the front, lets wait a bit until crucifying them today
They've said they're merely fighting for the team classification, so I don't see how Valverde doing exactly that invalidates my reply to someone saying that Sky is to blame for Movistar doing what they always do: prioritize the team classification over everything else.

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:

must have been some other Movistar team ... the Movistar team present in TdF is set to 'go carefully' (at least that's what I read yesterday in a translated interview with Mikel Landa) ... suppose they have a non-attacking policy for the Tour (actually for some years now, Valverde seems the only one who disrespects that at times)

hrotha said:
burning said:
They've said they're merely fighting for the team classification, so I don't see how Valverde doing exactly that invalidates my reply to someone saying that Sky is to blame for Movistar doing what they always do: prioritize the team classification over everything else.
That's just bs though. They didn't prioritize the team classification in 2015 or in the Vuelta 2016. This year, if they have decided to do that, which is also dubious imo, then it's simply because their riders are not good enough to win the overall.

MikeTichondrius said:
IndianCyclist said:

Movistar and not really the ones losing out by being passive in this stage. It seems highly dubious that either Quintana or Landa have the ability to deliver based on current form, whatever their tactics may be.

Dumoulin or Bardet on the other hand, have shown they can stay with and possibly trouble the Sky duo. So why are their teams being quite so passive? Surely the onus is on them to be creating chaos - not Movistar.

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

hrotha said:
burning said:

why would you blame someone (Sky) for the shortcoming of someone else (Movistar)?

DFA123 said:
MikeTichondrius said:
IndianCyclist said:

Dumoulin or Bardet on the other hand, have shown they can stay with and possibly trouble the Sky duo. So why are their teams being quite so passive? Surely the onus is on them to be creating chaos - not Movistar.

Sunweb clearly can't. They have Geschke and that was all. AG2R had really bad luck (only 5 riders left), but also are nowhere as good as last year (with 5 riders in the top 30 of the GC) and all 9 rideres in the first 68.

ppanther92 said:
DFA123 said:
MikeTichondrius said:
IndianCyclist said:

Sunweb clearly can't. They have Geschke and that was all. AG2R had really bad luck (only 5 riders left), but also are nowhere as good as last year (with 5 riders in the top 30 of the GC) and all 9 rideres in the first 68.
Well, they have Dumoulin as well, it's not illegal for him to try something straight from the start. This is actually a stage where a leader can actually afford to waste a bit of energy to disrupt a rival's domestiques.