• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour 2019 stage 15: Limoux - Foix Prat d'Albis 185 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FDJ and Jumbo have to put the hammer down tomorrow. As for Movistar I'd love to see them put 2-4 riders in the break and at some point let Landa bridge to them to go for a stage win. Not sure they have much else left. They may be asking Valverde to hang on for as long as he can for a top 10 in GC to salvage something there.

Considering what happened today, do you see Ineos trying a 1-2 attaks over the penultimate climb? I mean..they can't afford doing "Sky"with just a high tempo and 2 km attack. But do they have the balls to make something different? My biggest hope is on them because we may very likely end up with a likeable winner (Alaphilippe) but a procession to Paris. Mostly becaus the other strong contenders Pinot/Bouchmann/Landa (to some extend) are so far back and Kruijswijk should be happy with a podium (I don't blame him for that actually TdF podium is something to remember and at 32 he wont get many more chances).

P.s. My other hope is Movistar, they seem to have the depth (and yo need depth, Jumbo wont put De Plus to lead 70 km. to go) to put the hammer early...but probably not gonna do it (understandable... their best rider is Valverd 9th.

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Anything can happen from now on. Ineos is showing weakness, but the problem is to many riders is to satisfied with podium or even top 5. Even when Thomas was dropped today riders were looking at each other. Pinot was the strongest today and he could have attacked before and still have won.
Anyway, tomorrow it will be interesting to see who gets in the breakaway. will Moviestar go crazy and send half the team up the road? Barguille? Astana? Who will controll the race? Quick-step can`t controll the race come the climbs..

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I like this stage and I like the last climb, its a great climb for a MTF since its steepest in the bottom.

This. Plus the fact that the penultimate climb is steepest at the top, should give us some great racing. I think it's one of the most unpredictable second major mountain stages ever. Historically Pinot can have bad days, and nobody will be surprised if JA loses five minutes. Will Thomas lose more time, or will he break even (and hold his advantage) with Bernal? Moviestar have some cards, but are now horribly placed on GC. Hopefully we see plenty of interesting riders in the breakaway.

Re: Re:

gregrowlerson said:
Valv.Piti said:
I like this stage and I like the last climb, its a great climb for a MTF since its steepest in the bottom.

This. Plus the fact that the penultimate climb is steepest at the top, should give us some great racing. I think it's one of the most unpredictable second major mountain stages ever. Historically Pinot can have bad days, and nobody will be surprised if JA loses five minutes. Will Thomas lose more time, or will he break even (and hold his advantage) with Bernal? Moviestar have some cards, but are now horribly placed on GC. Hopefully we see plenty of interesting riders in the breakaway.
I don't think that this Pinot will have a bad day tomorrow. On the contrary: now he knows that he arguably is the best climber, that he has a chance to hurt Thomas before the rest day, and dropping Jalaphilippe is a must. Strike the iron when it's hot. This is a unique opportunity, he almost squandered it, but like he said "in the Tourmalet, there are no roundabouts". And there are none on the Prat either. The question is Thomas, if he can bounce back or limit his losses before the rest day. And Jalaphilippe...Kruijswijk and Buchmann? They looked great today. So did Bernal. After tomorrow, Ineos may have a choice to make.

Tonton said:
gregrowlerson said:
Valv.Piti said:

I don't think that this Pinot will have a bad day tomorrow. On the contrary: now he knows that he arguably is the best climber, that he has a chance to hurt Thomas before the rest day, and dropping Jalaphilippe is a must. Strike the iron when it's hot. This is a unique opportunity, he almost squandered it, but like he said "in the Tourmalet, there are no roundabouts". And there are none on the Prat either. The question is Thomas, if he can bounce back or limit his losses before the rest day. And Jalaphilippe...Kruijswijk and Buchmann? They looked great today. So did Bernal. After tomorrow, Ineos may have a choice to make.

Steven K should be able to continue on as he's doing. Remember the 2016 Giro, as long as he doesn't crash he has a very good chance at a podium finish. He's not going to climb with Pinot, but he shouldn't crack either. Alaphilippe SHOULD crack at some point.

More of a test for Alaphillipe. Time gaps to open up even more. Hard to see the break surviving with so much climbing and as the stronger teams force the pace on the last two climbs. Good stage for Landa if he has the legs. Pinot will want to consolidate. Can Thomas make a comeback or lose further time ? I think Porte is right, some riders will pay for yesterday's efforts.

Re:

movingtarget said:
More of a test for Alaphillipe. Time gaps to open up even more. Hard to see the break surviving with so much climbing and as the stronger teams force the pace on the last two climbs. Good stage for Landa if he has the legs. Pinot will want to consolidate. Can Thomas make a comeback or lose further time ? I think Porte is right, some riders will pay for yesterday's efforts.

Wonder what Movistar may try for tomorrow. I do wonder if they can put half their team in the break if the break could survive or not. Otherwise still put half the team in the break and use that as a launch pad for an attack by Landa for the stage win. (At least if I were their DS my strategy after the Tourmalet would be to get 4 riders into the break and see what happens.)

Panda Claws said:
Valv.Piti said:
Why do you think that makes it great for a MTF?
Genuine question as I am curious.
Because it should inspire riders to attack early on the climb rather than wait for the unsteep final km.

The day before the rest day they should ride more agressively than yesterday, especially now that it's much more open than other years. I wonder what Bernal can do if he becomes the leader.

I expected Alaf to crack yesterday, so I don't know what to expect anymore. In theory these middle mountains of today should suit him better than yesterday's stage. If he cracks it will probably be in the Alps, but the way he looked yesterday he could simply stay in yellow until Paris.

Important day for the KOM too, but for once there are more important things at stake.

all eyes will be on Alaphilippe's ability to defend the YJ
I also foresee an aggressive race from Ineos with G & Bernal leading the charge. Landa in the mix. Pinot might be on the ropes because of yesterday's effort, but he'll manage.

interesting stage :)

Some pics from yesterday
70 Big Photos from Stage 14 (descriptions to come) — flockton/aso/bettini/corvos
http://www.steephill.tv/2019/tour-de-france/photos/stage-14/

110-_AF_6350.jpg

180-20190720TDF0008-A.S.O.%20Alex%20BROADWAY.jpg

250-20190720TDF1031-ASO%20Pauline%20BALLET.jpg

569-20190720TDF2034-A.S.O.%20Thomas%20MAHEUX.jpg

Jumbo-Visma have seen they are the strongest this TdF. I really expect Kruijswijk to make it as hard as possible and normally he's better suited for the longer climbs. Movistar will be helping, but take their responsibility in the first part of the race/final

TRENDING THREADS