• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour 2019 stage 15: Limoux - Foix Prat d'Albis 185 km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
Disappointing tactics from Bernal, but a great result for him.

then what could have been done when Pinot took off while G couldn't? Bernal reacted correctly because he had to cover that attack for G. The problem is that Ineos LACKS structure - coming all the way from DS management to the riders themselves- IOW they don't possess the SKY approach in this Tour.
BTW - the last week is when the hard mountains are coming and it'd be unwise by Ineos to Sacrifice Bernal 100% for G when he's not even yet in yellow, let alone not being able to attack properly yet....

What if Bernal finds himself in a position to counter when Ala is gone, Pinot & Landa Team up while G just follows tempo?

Agree: Pinot's my guy right now, but Egan Bernal is second. Thomas third.

Alaphllippe has too much panache and too little team. I think he'll hang on for fourth. He's not going to collapse completely: he was strong at the end of three weeks last year in the GPM.

It's fun when people debate about tactics: who attacked, who didn't, but really on a climb like this you can only do what you can do. Following wheels helps a bit but it's mostly about physiology and motivation. Sky/Ineos have been riding to their power meters for 9 seasons now.

Re: Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
Arnout said:
Pantani Attacks said:

What would’ve been better tactics?

Disappointing in the sense he wouldn't help Pinot when he ****** the elbow and then had the nerve to flick the elbow to Buchmann and follow wheels. Doesn't need to be another Quintana.

I mean I really dislike wheelsuckers, but this is just a silly post. It's obvious that they were on their limit trying to follow Pinot.

Kwibus said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Arnout said:
Pantani Attacks said:

Disappointing in the sense he wouldn't help Pinot when he ****** the elbow and then had the nerve to flick the elbow to Buchmann and follow wheels. Doesn't need to be another Quintana.

I mean I really dislike wheelsuckers, but this is just a silly post. It's obvious that they were on their limit trying to follow Pinot.

Yeah it's not wheel sucking when you arent able to do more. The fact he was dropped shows he wasnt able

Kwibus said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Arnout said:
Pantani Attacks said:

Is he supposed to work against his team leader to keep people happy?

Kwibus said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Arnout said:
Pantani Attacks said:

I thought he couldn't because he had Thomas behind as well. So it didn't make sense to pull at that moment.

Escarabajo said:
Kwibus said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Arnout said:
Pantani Attacks said:

I thought he couldn't because he had Thomas behind as well. So it didn't make sense to pull at that moment.

And Thomas said he couldn't attack earlier because he would chase down Egan at the same time. I think Bernal was just on the edge to be able pull.

Singer01 said:
Kwibus said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Arnout said:
Pantani Attacks said:

Besides obvious tactical reasons as well, it only make pantanis post more ridiculous.

I have to say that the pacing of the last few stages has been pretty good.
A long and rather uneventful mountain stage to wear the riders down, then the ITT, then the big MTF and then a mountain stage that had the potential for action on the penultimate climb.

Singer01 said:
Kwibus said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Arnout said:
Pantani Attacks said:

I think at that point, Thomas was losing time and Alaphilippe was in the gap, and so it seemed like Bernal was in the position where Thomas was losing time to JA and therefore he was refusing the opportunity to gain time on a rival. Obviously Thomas' subsequent rallying after Alaphilippe was dropped and Poels got him back into his rhythm, that allowed him to limit his losses meant that Bernal's refusal to collaborate with Pinot was justified. At the time Bernal was refusing to take a turn with Pinot, however, it looked like Thomas may lose a packet and therefore it was in the best interest of the team for him to cooperate. This was why Pinot then went again to rid himself of Bernal, who rode back onto him once, but not a second time.

Also: can we please take note that the 120km mountain stage was pretty dull, and the 185km mountain stage was really good?

Perhaps a couple more of these and we can stop neutering mountain stages perpetuating the misconception that when it comes to the mountains, short stages are automatically good and long stages are automatically bad?

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I have to say that the pacing of the last few stages has been pretty good.
A long and rather uneventful mountain stage to wear the riders down, then the ITT, then the big MTF and then a mountain stage that had the potential for action on the penultimate climb.
I was disappointed with the Bagneres stage at the time, but in retrospect it’s impossible to separate it from the action since.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Also: can we please take note that the 120km mountain stage was pretty dull, and the 185km mountain stage was really good?

Perhaps a couple more of these and we can stop neutering mountain stages perpetuating the misconception that when it comes to the mountains, short stages are automatically good and long stages are automatically bad?

I don't think yesterday's stage was dull at all. I thought it was edge-of-the-seat stuff. Sure, the attacks did come very late on the final climb but the journey up Tourmalet was nerve-wracking because you just did not know what would happen. Additionally, everybody seemed to be very even and still thinking they could win the Tour, so they were afraid to go too early because they might lose everything. That certainly had more of a role to play in the lack of attacks than the length of the stage!

Also, I think yesterday's stage was ridden quite hard (Bardet and Yates were already spilled on the Soulor) which was felt by many today, even if you always act as if short distance stages are a walk in the park and they are only allowable if placed after a long stage. But it also works the other way around.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Free Bernal. Actually I think he is the only rival of Pinot right now. And he is an amazing descender.

The guy currently in yellow is a pretty good descender himself so how exactly does that help? Its not like any of the (other) favorites will gain time on Alaphilippe on a descent?!

The Bagneres stage was always meant to be crap, but from there (including the ITT here), ASO got the pacing right of the stages with the time trial, the hard MTF and the tough, longer stage better suited to doing something from distance. There was no hiding on three consecutive days, it was all out efforts three days in a row and no thinking about tomorrow.

I really, really miss a proper queen stage in the Alps and this time around, they got the pacing hopelessly wrong on stage 18 over Galibier S which possibly will render it pretty insignificant, unfortunately. Unless someone has Andy Schleck legs, but nobody has, and they will wait for two pretty hard, but short and very mediocre stages on paper.

TRENDING THREADS