• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour de France 2011 STAGE 8 - Aigurande-Super-Besse Sancy 189 km

May 27, 2010
Visit site
CARTE.gif

PROFIL.gif

PROFILKMS.jpg

Sorry for the early thread, but im excited about this hilly stage. We will get to see the contenders battle it out for the first time. the last hill is a hard one. Who will do better the puncheurs or the climbers? Will contador attack again? Will andy schleck do better? Will evans win or get yellow? or will the unbeatable superman gilbert win again!

Expect to see these 3 riders battling it out!

pic207839988_600.jpg

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
It will be a saucy stage :p

I hope Andy loses a few minutes not going to happen but 30 - 45 seconds would be nice enough

Evans may get the KOM back as well as a fair chance at Yellow if it is raced hard and BMC will race it hard.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think we'll see a similar result to what we had on the Mur de Bretagne, a few of the more explosive climbers will sprint for the victory and take a handful of seconds on the diesel.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Is it outrageous to assume that Hushovd as a top 5 shot in this stage?
3,5km a 5 % are not that easy, but if it isn't ridden superfast he certainly can stay there. And 1,5km wit 7,5% is easier then the Mur de Bretagne

I dont think so not this time. Its just too hard and long, but maybe he will spark a surprise! whats up with that "hit the wall" cadel avatar.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I think we'll see a similar result to what we had on the Mur de Bretagne, a few of the more explosive climbers will sprint for the victory and take a handful of seconds on the diesel.

Evans is a diesel , but a power climb it is maybe Evans is best described a Power diesel

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Yepp Evans will get yellow.
The question is, will BMC be willing to defend it on Sunday?

PROFILVIGNETTE.gif

it the perfect stage for them to defend - no high mountains but good climbs an a long run in - get the right breakaway

ps sorry for the stage 9 in the stage 8 discussion

Given that Evans really suffered that day in the pink ACF or whoever it was that made the bet should have specfied a 2010 pink jersey.

But anyway, I expect BMC to play it cleverly. They have done very well this week so far but they should aim for the overall instead of being satisfied with a few days in the lead.

Edit: stage 9 is very tough for the middle 120k. Probably 3000 vertical meters or so. Will be hard work for the leader's team if raced aggressively even with the needless detour on the way to Saint-Flour.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Evans in yellow and Contador will take a few more seconds on Andrew.

Maybe Leopard will try to put pressure on SBS by attacking with fx. Fuglsang before the last climb.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure why anyone would chase down the breakaway on this stage. Nothing in it for the sprinters, and the GC contenders don't really care so far. Just let the right break down the road, and the GC duke it out on the final 7km. With what his shape looks like, it'd be a shame if Evans put too much energy into getting a few days in yellow now.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Something must be very wrong when people gets so excited about this stage after one week of racing. I would ask an admin to fix the thread title: the stage finish should be called Mini-Besse-Sancy.

TRENDING THREADS