• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Le Tour de France

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, I am new in this forum, but not new to Cyclingnews.com.

I'm going to watch the last 2 stages of this year's tour de France with a friend and was wondering if anyone else has plans to watch the stage to Mont ventoux. We are struggling to get transportation to and from Avignon at a reasonable price, so I was wondering if anyone would have anything arranged for that.

Thanks and apologies if this is not the right place for this forum.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Welcome! Where are you travelling from and can you define reasonable? I'm sure that plenty of people on this forum can offer you good advice if you let us have answers to the above.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for your reply.

We are travelling on the 24th to Paris (we are based on the UK). The only train to Avignon we were able to get bellow 70 euros, arrives at Avignon at midnight. I know this makes the travel to Mont Ventoux much more difficult, however my mate has already booked and the ticket is not refundable.

I think that anything up to 50 euros per person (100 euros in total) for Avignon - Mont Ventoux and return to Avignon after the trip would be great.

I would consider cycling from Avignon to Mont Ventoux during the night, but besides not finding easy to rent a bicycle at midnight, I am worried we would be pushed on time for the return (we have a train from Marseilles at 23h33 back to Paris to watch the last stage).

I was also wondering if anyone that reads this forum would be organizing anything to go to Mont Ventoux and we would be able to split costs.

Any advice/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Many thanks again.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Take a 20 minute train to Orange - you can buy them the SNCF website then take the bus from Orange to Mt Ventoux. Call them up at: +33 (0)4 90 34 15 59.

The buses leave super early and then stop because the road closures. Expect to walk up the mountain as the bus aint going up.

You may also look at going to the finishing village at Mont Serein (http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/ski-station-provence/mont-serein-ski-station/ ) and then walk to the top of the mountain. This is the opposite side to the way they are climbing – the northern side.

Also look at getting a bus to Bedion where the riders actually climb from or train or options from Carpentras.

joaoSLB said:
Many thanks for your reply.

We are travelling on the 24th to Paris (we are based on the UK). The only train to Avignon we were able to get bellow 70 euros, arrives at Avignon at midnight. I know this makes the travel to Mont Ventoux much more difficult, however my mate has already booked and the ticket is not refundable.

I think that anything up to 50 euros per person (100 euros in total) for Avignon - Mont Ventoux and return to Avignon after the trip would be great.

I would consider cycling from Avignon to Mont Ventoux during the night, but besides not finding easy to rent a bicycle at midnight, I am worried we would be pushed on time for the return (we have a train from Marseilles at 23h33 back to Paris to watch the last stage).

I was also wondering if anyone that reads this forum would be organizing anything to go to Mont Ventoux and we would be able to split costs.

Any advice/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Many thanks again.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'll be driving up from Avignon (staying in a hotel just north of town), getting as close as possible before switching to the bike and exercising my 34x27 as far as they'll let me go. I plan on getting to Bedoin or thereabouts by 6am.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Once again thanks for the suggestions.

I must admit my complete ineptitude in finding viable alternatives to go to the mont ventoux, I cannot find any buses on the internet and yesterday I make some phone calls to France (tried my best with French) but seems impossible to rent a car at midnight and Taxis during the night are SO expensive. It is a shame, after getting all the trains not being able to sort the smallest distance we have to cover.

whiteboytrash the bus seems a good idea, will try to call them this morning to check alternatives.

53x11 in DC are you taking your own bike with you? We were considering cycling or walking to Mont Ventoux (even though I am probably not in the best shape, I could train for that), however renting a bike seems not to be that easy.

If you or anyone you know is going from Avignon to Mont Ventoux on the 25th early morning and is willing to split costs, please reply to this forum or by private message.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts