Leaders for the GTs of 2017

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So right now we have :

AG2R La Mondiale
Giro -> Domenico Pozzovivo ; Tour -> Romain Bardet

Astana
Giro -> Fabio Aru ; Tour -> Jakob Fuglsang (Miguel Ángel López)

Bahrain Merida
Giro -> Vincenzo Nibali ; Tour -> Ion Izagirre (or stage hunting?)

BMC Racing Team
Giro -> Tejay van Garderen ; Tour -> Richie Porte

Bora - Hansgrohe
Giro -> Leopold König ; Tour -> Rafał Majka

Cannondale-Drapac
Giro -> Davide Formolo ; Tour -> Andrew Talansky (what of Uran?)

Dimension Data
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> stage hunting

FDJ
Giro -> Thibaut Pinot ; Tour -> stage hunting

Lotto Soudal
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> stage hunting

Movistar
Giro -> not completely decided ; Tour -> Nairo Quintana

ORICA-Scott
Giro -> not decided ; Tour -> not decided

Quick-Step Floors
Giro -> probably Bob Jungels ; Tour -> Daniel Martin

Katusha - Alpecin
Giro -> Ilnur Zakarin ; Tour -> stage hunting

LottoNL-Jumbo
Giro -> Steven Kruijswijk ; Tour -> stage hunting

Team Sky
Giro -> Mikel Landa (Geraint Thomas) ; Tour -> Christopher Froome

Team Sunweb-Giant
Giro -> Tom Dumoulin (Wilco Kelderman) ; Tour -> Warren Barguil

Trek - Segafredo
Giro -> Bauke Mollema ; Tour -> Alberto Contador

UAE Abu Dhabi
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> Louis Meintjes
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Kelderman has signed with Sunweb and will ride the Giro with Dumoulin, LottoNL have Kruijswijk for the Giro.
 
Jancouver said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
So Dumoulin now confirmed for the Giro. And Kelderman is going there as well as main helper/shadow leader I guess?

Man this Giro is going to have an insane start list
No kidding, the list much more impressive than the Tour ATM. Another guy targeting the GC at Giro is Rohan Dennis. Well, he said, he is going there to "learn", but I think he can be right there on the same level with Dumoulin.
Dumoulin is a real Grand Tour contender,Dennis not IMHO.
I really don't see how he will survive long and steep climbs like BlockHaus or Stelvio Pass.. :rolleyes:
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
ThePirate81 said:
Jancouver said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
So Dumoulin now confirmed for the Giro. And Kelderman is going there as well as main helper/shadow leader I guess?

Man this Giro is going to have an insane start list
No kidding, the list much more impressive than the Tour ATM. Another guy targeting the GC at Giro is Rohan Dennis. Well, he said, he is going there to "learn", but I think he can be right there on the same level with Dumoulin.
Dumoulin is a real Grand Tour contender,Dennis not IMHO.
I really don't see how he will survive long and steep climbs like BlockHaus or Stelvio Pass.. :rolleyes:
I agree, especially on the steeper climbs. And forget about accelerations.

On the other hand, with his TT power output he can hang on the longer, not so steep climbs. Supposedly, he lost 3kg and was doing a lot of base miles for his GC ambitions.

He will be the next Wiggo IMO.
 
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
So right now we have :

AG2R La Mondiale
Giro -> Domenico Pozzovivo ; Tour -> Romain Bardet

Astana
Giro -> Fabio Aru ; Tour -> Jakob Fuglsang (Miguel Ángel López)

Bahrain Merida
Giro -> Vincenzo Nibali ; Tour -> Ion Izagirre (or stage hunting?)

BMC Racing Team
Giro -> Tejay van Garderen ; Tour -> Richie Porte

Bora - Hansgrohe
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> Leopold König (Rafał Majka)

Cannondale-Drapac
Giro -> Davide Formolo ; Tour -> Andrew Talansky (what of Uran?)

Dimension Data
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> stage hunting

FDJ
Giro -> Thibaut Pinot ; Tour -> stage hunting

Lotto Soudal
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> stage hunting

Movistar
Giro -> not completely decided ; Tour -> Nairo Quintana

ORICA-Scott
Giro -> not decided ; Tour -> not decided

Quick-Step Floors
Giro -> probably Bob Jungels ; Tour -> Daniel Martin

Katusha - Alpecin
Giro -> Ilnur Zakarin ; Tour -> stage hunting

LottoNL-Jumbo
Giro -> Steven Kruijswijk ; Tour -> stage hunting

Team Sky
Giro -> Mikel Landa ; Tour -> Christopher Froome

Team Sunweb-Giant
Giro -> Tom Dumoulin (Wilco Kelderman) ; Tour -> Warren Barguil

Trek - Segafredo
Giro -> Bauke Mollema ; Tour -> Alberto Contador

UAE Abu Dhabi
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> Louis Meintjes
I am pretty sure Konig goes to the Giro
 
Oct 5, 2016
35
0
0
Re: Re:

damian13ster said:
Alexandre B. said:
So right now we have :

AG2R La Mondiale
Giro -> Domenico Pozzovivo ; Tour -> Romain Bardet

Astana
Giro -> Fabio Aru ; Tour -> Jakob Fuglsang (Miguel Ángel López)

Bahrain Merida
Giro -> Vincenzo Nibali ; Tour -> Ion Izagirre (or stage hunting?)

BMC Racing Team
Giro -> Tejay van Garderen ; Tour -> Richie Porte

Bora - Hansgrohe
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> Leopold König (Rafał Majka)

Cannondale-Drapac
Giro -> Davide Formolo ; Tour -> Andrew Talansky (what of Uran?)

Dimension Data
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> stage hunting

FDJ
Giro -> Thibaut Pinot ; Tour -> stage hunting

Lotto Soudal
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> stage hunting

Movistar
Giro -> not completely decided ; Tour -> Nairo Quintana

ORICA-Scott
Giro -> not decided ; Tour -> not decided

Quick-Step Floors
Giro -> probably Bob Jungels ; Tour -> Daniel Martin

Katusha - Alpecin
Giro -> Ilnur Zakarin ; Tour -> stage hunting

LottoNL-Jumbo
Giro -> Steven Kruijswijk ; Tour -> stage hunting

Team Sky
Giro -> Mikel Landa ; Tour -> Christopher Froome

Team Sunweb-Giant
Giro -> Tom Dumoulin (Wilco Kelderman) ; Tour -> Warren Barguil

Trek - Segafredo
Giro -> Bauke Mollema ; Tour -> Alberto Contador

UAE Abu Dhabi
Giro -> stage hunting ; Tour -> Louis Meintjes
I am pretty sure Konig goes to the Giro
He can finish TOP5 in this Grand Tour
 
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Team Sunweb-Giant
Giro -> Tom Dumoulin (Wilco Kelderman) ; Tour -> Warren Barguil
Barguil will finally go for stage hunting.

I can't wait for La Planche des Belles Filles because it is hard to read the race with so few declared contenders.
It makes it easier to read, however it also makes early action more likely. PdBF is always only a few km of action, as it's the French Pena Cabarga, and that's being harsh on Pena Cabarga
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
Alexandre B. said:
Mikel Landa and Geraint Thomas confirmed by Sky to co-lead in Il Giro.
Landa makes sense but Thomas will get killed in the Giro
Rosa also confirmed that he'll ride the Giro, that could be a pretty nice Giro squad.
It comes down to the version of Thomas that shows up, if 2015 TdF Thomas shows up, that it could be interesting.
I wouldn't underestimate Rohan as a climber, he was decent in the 2014 Tour of California and showed that he's explosive on the Mount Diablo stage and it's not like he's aiming to win the whole thing, he wants to finish inside the top 15, top 10 if everything goes well, that's a realistic goal.
He has shown before that he's a decent climber (he's got waaay better results than pre 2015 Vuelta Dumoulin), but the stages with multiple hard mountains (the Stelvio and the Ortisei stage) could be a problem for him, but he has shown before that he doesn't mind the high altitude, so top 15 could be a realistic goal.
 
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Team Sunweb-Giant
Giro -> Tom Dumoulin (Wilco Kelderman) ; Tour -> Warren Barguil
Barguil will finally go for stage hunting.

I can't wait for La Planche des Belles Filles because it is hard to read the race with so few declared contenders.
Froome
Quintana
Bardet
Contador
Porte
at least one of Chaves, Yates & Yates.
Majka
Meintjes
Talansky
Fuglsang
Daniel Martin
Henao can probably reach the top-10 as Froome's (most consistent?) dom
Izagirre - he's forced to go for GC, anyway.
probably Lopez
I guess Uran, too.

That's already quite a bit. I can see maybe one of the stage hunters sneak into the lower reaches of the top-10, too. Or a guy who goes for the Giro-Tour double. Rolland almost succeeded in doing so a couple years back. Might be a bit more doable for a similar GC rider this year .
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Alexandre B. said:
Mikel Landa and Geraint Thomas confirmed by Sky to co-lead in Il Giro.
I don't know how they got Poels to be happy with that. Sky tanking the Giro again
I don't know, maybe leadership for the Ardennes classics + a few one week races (maybe TdS)?
 
Nothing wrong with Sky having 2 leaders at the Giro - It's been an unhappy race for Sky so having two irons in the fire makes sense. There is a chance Orica may have 2 leaders at the Giro - It's nothing new at a GT - Though it may diminish Froome's train at the TDF.
 
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
StryderHells said:
Alexandre B. said:
Mikel Landa and Geraint Thomas confirmed by Sky to co-lead in Il Giro.
Landa makes sense but Thomas will get killed in the Giro
Rosa also confirmed that he'll ride the Giro, that could be a pretty nice Giro squad.
It comes down to the version of Thomas that shows up, if 2015 TdF Thomas shows up, that it could be interesting.
I wouldn't underestimate Rohan as a climber, he was decent in the 2014 Tour of California and showed that he's explosive on the Mount Diablo stage and it's not like he's aiming to win the whole thing, he wants to finish inside the top 15, top 10 if everything goes well, that's a realistic goal.
He has shown before that he's a decent climber (he's got waaay better results than pre 2015 Vuelta Dumoulin), but the stages with multiple hard mountains (the Stelvio and the Ortisei stage) could be a problem for him, but he has shown before that he doesn't mind the high altitude, so top 15 could be a realistic goal.
I think he can reach the same level as Jungels last year.
 
Re:

yaco said:
Nothing wrong with Sky having 2 leaders at the Giro - It's been an unhappy race for Sky so having two irons in the fire makes sense. There is a chance Orica may have 2 leaders at the Giro - It's nothing new at a GT - Though it may diminish Froome's train at the TDF.
They're taking 2, of which one is already doomed to fail
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY